Author Topic: Owen Dowling from Naas  (Read 6751 times)

Offline Siusaidh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Owen Dowling from Naas
« on: Thursday 11 July 13 01:47 BST (UK) »
Although I know this man was in the Dublin Metropolitan Police, married a Mary Kelly, and on 28 Sept. 1896 became father of a daughter (my grandmother Josephine), I can find nothing about him except that he came from Naas.

Supposedly he (and Mary) died while my grandmother was still a small child. If anyone knows of Owen (thankfully not a very common name) of the Dowlings of Naas, I'll be really thankful if they leave me a message.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Owen Dowling from Naas
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 July 13 07:09 BST (UK) »
have you researched his police record.i am sure that would hold some vital clues.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 July 13 13:22 BST (UK) »
see Irish Police and Military   Mark Humphrys.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 July 13 14:43 BST (UK) »
what do you think of these 2 census returns. first using the initial system d for dowling and j for josephine.
a 5 year old D J female roman catholic in the workhouse in 1001 james st 1901.born dublin.
1911 House no 40 shelbourne rd Josephine Dowling age 14 boarder with Steacey family.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 July 13 15:06 BST (UK) »
can i ask from where did you source your information re owen and the d m p and naas, have you got her birth cert, there are no josephines showing on family search for 1896 in dublin? there is a mary josephine and bridget josephine, if you have her cert could you post details of it in print no images allowed here or is the info from a marriage cert? every little detail helps in a search.

Offline Siusaidh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 July 13 15:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for these suggestions. Yes, I have my grandmother's birth cert mentioning Naas as where her father was from. The young girl living on Shelburne Rd. was indeed her - she often spoke about it. I've always thought burning of the Four Courts would impede my search, but perhaps not necessarily so? How my grandmother came to be fostered by Protestants is something I always wondered. She always spoke of them as somehow related to her. Anyway, I'll be pursuing this. Again, thanks.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 July 13 19:03 BST (UK) »
fact selina bolton married william steacy in 1872 from family search. all their children as per shelbourne rd can be found on irish genealogy.
coincedense?on irish genealogy james bolton was baptised in july 1900 of marlboro st his sponsor/godmother was mary dowling.
gaulterus dowling married marie kelly in st nicholls 27 feb 1881 and the witnesses were joseph and maria bolton. have no idea about gaulterus ''walter ?''this also on irish genealogy,dont know if these are relevant but something to mull over.

Offline Siusaidh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 July 13 19:21 BST (UK) »
Again, thanks. It certainly seems there was at least long friendship, perhaps family link, between these people - if latter, I'll hope to uncover it. Although an historian by education, I'm not great at this kind of research across space as well as time, so help much appreciated. SC

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 July 13 22:59 BST (UK) »
have you seen this post on here wednesday 3rd july 2013 . ''DUBLIN METROPOLITAN POLICE FITZPATRICK
enter it into the search box at the top of the page,some very useful info re police files.