Author Topic: Egerton Bible  (Read 8133 times)

Offline teabag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Egerton Bible
« on: Sunday 28 November 04 21:12 GMT (UK) »
We have a family bible with the names Arabella and Richard Egerton dated to the late 18th century. We know that the bible has passed down via the Giddings side of the family but have no proven link to the Egerton family. Any suggestions or information appreciated

Suzanne

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Egerton Bible
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 November 04 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello there!  :D

Do you have place names and dates for these individuals?

Offline teabag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 December 04 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to be so slow at getting back to you, had to search out the relevant info!
We have a crest on the back inside cover and on the title page we have "Richard and Arabella Egerton 1819".
There is a further piece  "Mary B??? from her attached friend Francis Egerton" this however has no date. 
My grandmother also has a painting of Colonel Egerton which was inhereted at the same time as the bible.

We believe that these are the Egerton's from Cheshire as the dates fit what we have managed to find out about Colonel Egerton.

Any further ideas?!

Suzanne

Offline Welsh Jen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 December 04 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried posting a census 1841 Cheshire look up for the individuals mentioned? You never know the additional information from a census return may give you that little bit of information and link to your family.

Looking on the LDS site there does seem to be Egerton's in the Middlewich region of Cheshire.

Offline teabag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 December 04 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Will keep you posted of progress!

Suzanne

Offline Welsh Jen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 March 05 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Dear Suzanne just received this via email.

Dear Jen I saw on a chat website a lady named  suzanne asking about an egerton bible.i know exactly who they are as i have a pedigree of the egertons.if you can cntact her or her me i can share the info with her.
yours truly
John Egerton ontario canada.

I will instant message you John's email address
Kind Regards Jen  :)

NB: I seem to be having difficult in sending you an instant message I will try to do so again, failing that i will try again tomorrow.

Offline MndyA

• RootsChat Extra
  • digging deeper ever deeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 March 05 23:30 GMT (UK) »
hi I doubt they Link but I am chasing an Egerton family and have just got them back to Weaverham in Cheshire I have a Samuel Egerton aged 18 in the 1841 census with his mother Mary and brothers I know that his father was John from Samuel's marragiage cert just wondering if there were any links.
Mandy
Lea in Sandbach Cheshire Bebington Bebbington and variants Egerton all in Cheshire Wilkes in Worcestershire Tanswell/Tazewell anywhere
Routledge Devon post1850
Hodgkinson Staffordshire Peacock in Shropshire

Offline WilliamEgerton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 April 12 09:09 BST (UK) »
Dear Suzanne,

I've just seen your correspondence from a time ago - hope the following is still of some interest.

Without doubt, the family bible belonged to Lt Gen Richard Egerton and his wife Arabella (nee Tomkinson). They were both from Cheshire, and married in 1814. You will find them on the following page which you can take as authoritative:
http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/online/content/EgertonB1617.htm

Richard was the youngest son of Philip Egerton of Oulton in Cheshire, and would almost certainly have been born at Oulton Hall. His two oldest brothers succeeded in turn to the Egerton Baronetcy after a senior line of the family died out. Richard himself joined the Army, and was engaged at the Battle of Waterloo - I have in my possession a letter written by him to Arabella in the evening after the battle. He continued to serve with distinction in the Army, but I do not know any details about his subsequent career - for some reason he has rather dropped out of the Egerton family consciousness, and even does not appear in the current version of Burkes.

Arabella's family lived at Dorfold Hall near Nantwich in Cheshire: see
http://www.thornber.net/cheshire/htmlfiles/tomkinson.html

Richard and Arabella seem to have lived at Eaton Banks (now Arderne Hall) which is very close to Oulton: see
http://www.parksandgardens.ac.uk/component/option,com_parksandgardens/task,site/id,6807/tab,history/Itemid,292/

Richard seems to have died in 1854, and Arabella in 1860. As far as I know, they had no children. I have a letter written from the Crimea by my great-great grandfather, Caledon Richard Egerton (Richard's nephew) expressing surprise at the size of legacy he had just received out of Richard's Will.

I know of no relationship between the Egerton and Giddings families that would account for your having it. The likely thing is that it would have passed to a relation of Arabella's on her death in 1860, and hence somehow to you. So I think you need to look for a relationship between your ancestors and the Tomkinson family of Dorfold.

I'm sure you are looking after the bible with great love and care - it's a precious object, but I'm sure will be all the more precious to you if you can learn more about the generations that have held it before you. Good luck in your searches.

William Egerton

Offline WilliamEgerton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 April 12 11:02 BST (UK) »
I meant to add a comment on the note in the bible about Francis Egerton and Mary B???

This seems to indicate that perhaps the bible was passed after Richard's and Arabella's deaths to an Egerton. The most likely person is Captain (RN) Francis Philip Egerton, who was the only surviving son of General Sir Charles Bulkeley Egerton, an older brother of Richard's (i.e. a nephew of Richard's).

This Francis was married, but not to anyone called Mary. His wife was Georgiana Augusta Pitt, daughter of the vicar of Audlem in Cheshire; they had no children. Francis died in 1893 and Georgiana in 1912.

There is one other possible Francis - Lt Col Francis William Egerton, a son of Maj Gen Caledon Egerton and grandson of Sir Philip Grey-Egerton, another of Richard's older brothers. This Francis was born late in the same year as Richard died, so just possibly the bible could have been gifted to him by Arabella as a Christening present. He married twice but had no children that survived infancy; he died in 1908. His wives were Margaret Lovett and (late in life) Alice Marriott Smith.

I'm afraid this doesn't exactly help.

William Egerton