Author Topic: morgan family llanddewi aberarth  (Read 10260 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: morgan family llanddewi aberarth
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 October 14 19:17 GMT (UK) »
given the difficulty of researching common names, you need to gather all the info you can. Hence, you need to find the witnesses on the marriage to see if they are relations or can help you trace the family.

There's a will on the NLW site which might be worth looking at. It's from 1788 for Morgan Thomas of Penrhiw in Llanddewi Aberarth, who leaves all his goods to his son Richard Morgan & asks for provision to be made for his wife Margaret. The will was written 5 Jun 1787.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 November 14 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Dear Osprey,I've looked at the will and it is very difficult to read online.I sent an email to Roy Carpenter of the Llanddewi-Aberarth History Society to see if he had any info on Morgan Thomas but alas no luck except that Penrhiw Farm was supposedly the biggest farm in Cardiganshire (in the 1900s?).I wonder if searching land/property records for PENRHIW might turn something up?Again the records are probably at NLW..kind regards Ivorglyn

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 10 November 14 15:18 GMT (UK) »
the value of the estate was £24 so looks like Penrhiw was leased.

The will says
In the Name of God Amen, I Morgan Thomas, of Penrhiw in the Parish of Llandewy Aberarth in the County of Cardigan Farmer being Sick and Weak in Body but of Sound Mind & Memory and Understanding Praised be God for the Same, Do Make and Ordain this my last Will and Testament in Manner following. That is to say First and Principally I recommend my Soul into the Hands of Almighty God who gave it and my Body to the Earth to be buried ?(smudge) Decent and Christian like Manner. And as for what Worldly Estate which God of his Mercy hath bestowed on me I give and Dispose of the Same in the following Manner and Form. I give and bequeath all my Goods Wares Effects Chattels and personal Estate whatsoever and wheresoever they are unto my son Richard Morgan to be forthwith Delivered him after my Decease Subject to the Payment of all my Just Debts and Funeral Expences and to the keeping and entertaining Margaret Morgan my beloved Wife and his Mother in a Christian like Manner During her Natural Life. And I do Nominate and appoint the said Richard Morgan to be Sole Executor of this my last Will and Testament. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my Hand and Seal the fifth day of June in the year of Our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and Eighty Seven.

Any surviving leases could be at the archives in Aberystwyth
http://archifdy-ceredigion.org.uk/
but it depends if the records have been deposited.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 14 November 14 17:39 GMT (UK) »