Author Topic: Battle of Dunbar 1650  (Read 11524 times)

Offline thebruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Battle of Dunbar 1650
« on: Thursday 13 January 05 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if there are any records of the surviving prisoners from the Battle of Dunbar that were shipped to various ports around the world? I have come to a dead end in tracing my Bruce relative. Thomas Bruce appeared in the British colonie of Massachusetts in the mid 1600's and there is nothing to indicate how or exactly when he arrived there. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Offline bryso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Dunbar 1650
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 October 05 14:51 BST (UK) »
hi there,no great hisorian but im originally from dunbar and
what i've learned over the years is that some prisoners were taken to worscester and others were sent to america.
dunbar has very accurate history records and some well respected historians who are still around,namely STEPHEN
BUNYON.dunbar has its own website(DUNBAR COMMUNITY
WEBSITE) and people from that site will help you if they can
you can post an item on it free of charge for all kinds of research. since you say your relative was deported to america,may i suggest you try the "morman genealogy" website they have records of the entire population of the planet for some reason,but will certainly have all american
records,hope this is of some help to you if not sorry to have wasted your time but im sure you will find some info.
regards-bryso
denholm,acquroff,hunter,strachan

Offline thebruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 05 01:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your comments and recommendations. I have checked into the Mormon files and there isn't much there. All roads lead to Thomas Bruce appearing in America sometime after 1650 but there is nothing available indicating where he came from or who his parents were. I will take your advise and look into the DUNBAR COMMUNITY WEBSITE.

Offline bryso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 October 05 08:24 BST (UK) »
hi,me again try http://dinsdoc.com it lists some of the prisoners.just a word of warning though,according to the history books most of the prisoners changed their names
when they reached the colonies(or soon after arriving).
perhaps this is why some people simply dissappear from the records.hope this is of some help to you.
               kind regards
                             bryso
denholm,acquroff,hunter,strachan

Offline thebruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 October 05 14:57 BST (UK) »
Bryso, thanks again for your help. The Dinsmore site is very interesting and I will need to spend much more time searching through the many pages of information. I suspect that I may never be able to get Thomas Bruce back to Scotland but it has been an interesting experience thus far.

Bob

Offline rickcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 July 12 17:45 BST (UK) »
I just saw this thread and I am looking to confirm if a relative listed on as being a prisoner from the Battle of Dunbar is really my relative.  The question I have is my relative would have been 11 when he was captured and everything I have found so far says that the boys were set free.  I know that the English Long Parliament requested a detailed list of prisoners sent to the colonies about a year after they were sent but I have yet to find out if that list was done.  Can anyone help?  I'm looking for an age for the prisoners.  I am also looking into finding the records of his "sale" when he would have arrived in Boston to see if that would help me as well.

Offline 3Griffs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 21:26 BST (UK) »
A list of Scot prisoners captured at the Battle of Dunbar on 03 Sep 1650 and deported to The Colonies aboard the Unity in Nov 1650 can been seen at the R. Stanton Avery Special Collections Department at the New England Historic Genealogy Society in Boston, MA, USA.  To my knowledge no one has yet located the results of the report request (dated 03 Feb 1652, Common Journal, Volume 7, page 254, column 1, paragraph 4).

There is an entry, #10, for George Bruce.

My 9th great grandfather, Alex'r Bow, is #7 on that list.  Can anyone recommend a starting point for research in Scotland with this little scrap of information?

Thank you very much.