Author Topic: Surname interests  (Read 22491 times)

Offline Aussie_trekkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Kevin Martin Irish Olympic Team 1948 &1952
    • View Profile
Re: Surname interests
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 April 09 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have Daniel O'Byrne and he married Dublin 1880 Jane Hayes her godmother was Mary Doyle. Daniel's Parents were Peter and Elizabeth.

Any of these name in your tree ?

Ingrid
Martin-O'Byrne- Hayes-Rohan-O,Brien-Cullen,Flood-Kavanagh-Thompson-McFee-Brazil-Mitchell

Offline S.O.B

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Next Generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 April 09 18:33 BST (UK) »
ingrid

they don't feature, but I'm learning 'never to say never'!

Good hunting

Steve
O'Brien
Fittes
Dunne
Byrne
Parnell
Davis
Armer

Offline LisaHallworth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 July 09 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Buttonmoon!

I have an ancestor named James Sennett who lived in Co. Durham (a miner) - in the Census he is listed as born in Wicklow, 1833. He also has been listed as Sinnett.

I really don't know much more about him than that.  Do let me know if you think there may be a link?

Regards, Lisa
Durham: Sennett, Fitzpatrick, Ranson,
Perth: Keay, Clark, Brack
Thorne, Yorks: Armitage, Foster
Bedfordshire: Hallworth
Northants: Cox
Suffolk: Tuthill

Offline fia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 23:52 GMT (UK) »
I am researcing the brophy family the information I have is they were in ballymore eustice around 1900 a large family but none of them married or died there any ideas where to start as I am new to this  fia

Offline carolgriff

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 December 09 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you tried to fnd them on 1911 census on Irish natonal archives site?

carol
CHARLES COOPER BEDFORDSHIRE, WALL CLEMENS CORNWALL,  LOWTHER RONEY CUMBERLAND, ANDERSON RAMSHAW MULLEN DURHAM, NILES IRELAND, MCMULLEN HORROCKSLANCASHIRE, REED YORKSHIRE

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 September 10 00:52 BST (UK) »
Carolgriff,

I have a Catherine Donnelly born 1839 who married Robert Johnson on September 15, 1864 in Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow.  Her father was Edward Donnelly, wife unknown.

Could they be related to your Donnellys?

Take care and keep smiling!
Claddagh
 :) :) :)
Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland:  Johnson, Donnelly, Lenhan/Lennan/Lennon, Heydon/Hayden

Co. Cavan, Ireland: Kiernan
Co. Sligo, Ireland: McGowan

Co. Tyrone, Ireland: Brogan, Curran, McBride, McDade, McDaid, McFadden, McFaiden, Nolan

London, England:  Smith/Smyth
Scotland: McGoun

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 September 10 14:35 BST (UK) »
Update on my SENNETT/SINNOTTs, having just come back from Ireland and a successful visit to the Dublin National Library genealogy room.  Note that spellings all vary and seem a bit interchangeable, and these all took on the spelling SENNETT once in England.

Joseph SINNOTT/SYNNOTT and Julia RYAN had four children baptised Temple Rainy Chapel (Avoca Parish) in the early 1840's prior to leaving Ireland for Whitwood, Yorkshire in about 1847/48. (Only two of these survived until the 1851 census, but unsure at this stage if they died in Ireland or Yorkshire).

Not 100 percent confirmed, but highly likely is that Joseph was born and baptised in Castlemacadam (COI), along with at least two siblings.  It would seem that this family became catholic with Joseph converting when he married Julia.

Also James SINNOTT who married Martha WHITE (and also ended up in Whitwood, Yorkshire) had most of his children baptised in Castlemacadam parish. 

I did pick up quite a lot of other references to SINNOTT/SYNNOTT in Co. Wicklow, and particularly in the Arklow/Rathdrum/Wicklow area so when I can get time to have another look at them I'll check if any relate to any other messages on this thread.

Interestingly on my trip to Ireland I ended up staying at a B & B slap bang in the middle of Avoca Parish and within a couple of miles of where my family came from - totally coincidentally.  It was the landlady who told me how to find Temple Rainy chapel.

Also interesting to me is that rather than Joseph coming to england as an unskilled labourer, it would appear that he was likely to be a highly experienced miner - coming from the Avoca copper mines. 

Offline feathers

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Corinne,
I have just posted under a thread "Parkmore" and have just now read this post by you.  I think my Elizabeth Sinnott is the daughter of the James Sinnott and Martha White you mention who went to England.  I think Elizabeth was a twin.  I would be grateful if you could give me any more information you may have on this side of my family.  Elizabeth was married to my gg grandfather but they had no children together.  She looked looked after his daughter from a previous marriage but story has it that they never got on and the child was sent to boarding school!  But I would be grateful for any information you can give me regarding James and Martha and their children to get the picture of the whole thing.

Many thanks,
Irene.
Behan, Ringsend
Kelly, Dublin
Malone, Ringsend
Murphy, Kilkenny
Woods, Kilkenny
Kinsella, Dublin

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 December 10 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, your Elizabeth Sinnott b 1835 is a different one from mine born 1825 (to James and Martha), although in the same parish.  There is bound to be a relationship somewhere there though - it will just be a bit more distant.  I'd be really keen to keep in touch and add whatever you find out about your Sennetts/Sinnotts to the one name study because I am sure at some point there will be a link between us.  I guess it just depends how wide you want to spread the net!