Author Topic: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4  (Read 71605 times)

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4
« Reply #72 on: Friday 09 May 14 08:59 BST (UK) »
Any new Halpin census entries have eluded me.  Thanks Ray.

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 10 July 14 13:11 BST (UK) »
http://ireland.anglican.org/about/128

Explanation of an up-to-date, comprehensive and overdue list of the holdings of Church of Ireland parish registers.  To go to the actual pdf document, click on the word "here".

Generally the RCB Library does not have the ability to do lookups but may supply a list of researchers.

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 26 July 14 22:20 BST (UK) »

A few links to some superb pages on the history of the Atlantic Cable, including illustrations and good summaries of Captain R C Halpin's life.

http://atlantic-cable.com/Books/Russell/index.html

http://atlantic-cable.com/CablePioneers/Halpin/index.htm

http://atlantic-cable.com/CablePioneers/

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 31 July 14 11:01 BST (UK) »
Doing a broad search in the Irish News Archive, I noted that in 1802, an Oliver Halpin received the degree of Doctor of Medicine from the University of Edinburgh.  (Belfast Newsletter, 17 Sept.).  The same year, Richard Halpin appears as a Warden of the Corporation of Bricklayers and "Plaisterers".  [A later report is of Dr Oliver Halpin retiring from an army regiment.]

On May 20 1803, the Belfast Newsletter reports Richard Halpin of Mecklinburgh street, Dublin, builder, under a list of bankrupts.  William Halpin, distiller, in the same situation a couple of months following.

One or more of the Halpins who attended Trinity College had as their school tutor a Mr Falloon.  In 1809, an entry is placed in Freeman's Journal (July 8) for Rathmines School, Mr J Falloon, A.B. Master.  Students listed include Halpin and Revell.  I had not previously located Falloon's school in Rathmines.

Also in 1809, Freemans Journal 28 July reports - Monday being election day of the Corporation of Bricklayers and Plaisterers, or Guild of St Bartholomew, Richard Halpin of the North Strand was unanimously elected Master ...

In April/May 1810, Mrs Halpin of Athy respectfully informs her friends and the Public that, under the patronage of many of the most respectable characters in this City, whose children she has had the honour of Educating, she has opened a Day School for Young Ladies at No 181, Abbey-street.  English Grammar, History, Geography and Use of the Globes; Reading, Prose, Rhyme and Blank Verse; Writing, Epistolary Composition and Arithmetic, by Mr. W. H. Halpin, who purports devoting the principal portion of his time to this Establishment.  At present has leisure for a few Private Tuitions....  No vacation....

In September 1810, J Halpin adds his name to a list of parishioners of St Thomas requesting a meeting be convened to consider the most speedy, effectual and constitutional steps to be taken to restore the Parliament of Ireland, by a repeal of the unfortunate Act of Union.

House, Stock in Trade and Establishment in the Bookselling and Stationary (sic) Business.  Jane Halpin, widow of the late J Halpin, No 31 New Sackville-street, intends to dispose of her house, Stock in Trade, &c. The House is in perfect repair; with a large work-shop, two ware-rooms, coach-house and stable. To any person of the business it would be a great acquisition, as they may have the Stock at a valuation, with a large and valuable connexion in town and country, with many other advantages......  (Freemans Sunday March 03, 1811).  A later entry shows her late husband as John Halpin.

A December 1811 post shows a J Halpin as a student at Blancherstown Academy, master the Rev Joseph Joy Dean.  August 1812 shows a Richard Halpin a student at Lower Gardiner-street School, No 26, Rev John Coghlan, AB, master

More anon

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 01 August 14 05:25 BST (UK) »
Deaths.  In Portarlington, on the 30th ult at a very advanced age, Mr Halpin, who had been for upwards of fifty years, Master of a Principal Academy in that town, which important office together with the social and religious duties of a christian, he discharged with a conscientious zeal, and unaffected piety which procured him the respects and esteem of all who knew him. –He was indeed an upright and exemplary character.  [Freemans February 02 1820, p.3]

A John Halpin is listed in May 1820 as a member of the Corporation of Tailors, or Guild of St John, for the purpose of electing a Lord Mayor.

On 28 June 1820, Freemans devotes more than a whole page to list the names of persons who voted for Henry Grattan or Thomas Ellis in the election of Lord Mayor.  James Halpin, bricklayer of Wicklow Town, voted for Ellis.  I believe this refers to his being a member of the Bricklayers Guild.

Births.  On the 1st inst., at Oldcastle, the Lady of the Rev. N. T. (sic) Halpin, of a son.  [Freemans January 10 1825, p.4.  This would be William Henry Halpin who went to Ontario.]

On the 12th inst. at Clontarf Church, Frederick H Halpin, Esq. of the Hon. East India Company's service to Caroline, daughter of Sir William Stamer, Bart.  [Belfast Newsletter Nov 16 1830 p.2]

Insolvent Debtors petitions.  James Halpin, Greenmount, county of Louth, baker.  [Freemans July 25 1836]

ROYAL SCHOOL OF ENNISKILLEN. THE REV. DOCTOR GREHAM, MASTER. … Wanted, a RESIDENT WRITING and ENGLISH MASTER. of first-rate qualifications. Application to be made to Dr. GREHAM, Portora House, Enniskillen, or to the Rev. Mr. HALPIN, 14, Seville-place, Dublin; (if by letter, post-paid.)… Portora House, 7th January, 1837.  [Belfast Newsletter Jan 17 1837]

In a law case, Malone v O’Connor and others, Henry Halpin and others give a number of statements that reflect on their residence.  Margaret Kelly:  Mathias Moore lived next door to me; there was a school in Portarlington, kept by Mr Halpin, and many others kept by different persons;  Moore and Halpin lived at one time next to each other, and afterwards Halpin moved opposite…  Mr Henry Halpin examined:  My father and myself lived in Portarlington for many years; I also knew a gentleman named Stepney who was going to my father’s school….. I am now 75 years of age.  [Freemans Dec 15 1837.  So it would seem that Old Nick’s son William Henry was commonly named Henry.]

An inquest was held on Saturday, before Alderman Perrin, on view of the body of an old man which was taken out of a trench, near Halpin's-row, at the rear of the Customhouse dock.. [Freemans Oct 15 1838]

“E. Halpin” among a list of newly sworn attorneys.  Eaton Halpin?  [Belfast Newsletter May 17 1839]

Select School for General Instruction, 10 D’Olier-street.  H Sweeny, Principal.  Premiums to Masters … Halpin, 4;…Sweeny, 3. [Freemans Jul 6 1839]

Military Promotions.  War Office Jan 10.  14th Regiment of Foot…..Robert Halpin, Gent., to be Ensign, by purchase, vice Blundell to Lieutenant, by purchase.  [Freemans Jan 14 1840]

City Grand Jury.  Board of Superintendence.  Much discussion followed on the question which was next introduced, respecting the widening of Carlisle Bridge and the erection of a new bridge over the Liffey, from Beresford-place to the opposite quay.  Alderman Hoyte said that according to the estimate of Mr Semple, the architect, the widening of Carlisle Bridge; would cost 20,000l., whereas, on referring to their own engineer, Mr Halpin, he said it could not be done under 30,000l.  The matter was therefore rejected.  [Freemans April 30 1840, p.3]

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 21 May 15 22:34 BST (UK) »
In response to some of the points Bill made in his post above:

James Halpin may have belonged to the Bricklayer's Guild because his brother George was a noted Dublin builder.  It should also be noted that The Reverend Doctor Greham, of the Royal School of Enniskillen, in soliciting applications for the position of Resident Writing and English Master at the school, invited applicants to lodge their CV's with the Rev. N J Halpin, of 14 Seville Place, Dublin.  As I have already pointed out elsewhere in this long Halpin thread, George Halpin - brother of James Halpin of the Bridge Tavern in Wicklow - owned no. 14 Seville Place in Dublin.  I've also mentioned elsewhere that George Halpin had close personal and business ties to a family of wealthy Dublin merchants by the name of Crosthwaite.  The Rev. N J Halpin's mother was Ann (or Marianne) Crosthwaite, and his wife was Anne Greham.  This, I think, leaves little doubt about the blood ties between the Wicklow Halpins and the Portarlington Halpins.  Ties, I might add, that my own family always insisted existed.

Until I made the claim that George Halpin, the Portarlington Halpins and the Wicklow Halpins were all blood relations, no one to my knowledge had ever made the connection.  I based my claim on family lore, which was rightly critiqued at the time.  But thanks to the research of other contributors to this forum, and to research I conducted myself, I think there can be no doubt about the validity of the claim, or of the provenance of the lore.  Stronger links than the ones I've unearthed between the Wicklow and Portarlington Halpins no doubt exist, and I am confident they will be found in due course.  But there was a fourth part to the original claim that has yet to be proved - the link between my own Wicklow forebears, and the other Halpins mentioned in this post.  It was my forbears who insisted on the tie, and since they were proven right about the links between George Halpin, James Halpin and the Reverend N J Halpin, I think their claim deserves to be taken seriously.  And I think it would be, were it not for a particular letter written by James Halpin's daughter specifically denying any family tie between her family and that of my forebear, Robert Wellington Halpin, who was at that time Wicklow's Town Clerk and Post Master.  But I have uncovered evidence that casts suspicion on the credibility of Mrs. Halpin's claim, evidence I will present to the forum at a later date.  The evidence, I ought to say, is not compelling.  It is merely suggestive, and it certainly won't convince very many.  But it is interesting enough to convince me that I ought to retain faith in the truthfulness of my ancestor's claim. 

I have also uncovered evidence that William Henry Halpin (1760 - 1839), who was the father of the Rev. N J Halpin, either divorced his wife Ann before she died, or remarried after she passed away(she died in 1808).  The point is, he married for a second time (at least), and forced the children from his first marriage to vacate the family home.  This, apparently, embittered the children of his first marriage.  Did it also embitter them towards the children of the second marriage?  Were there indeed any children from the second marriage, which probably took place in around 1810?  And could one of those children have been my great great grandfather, Robert Wellington Halpin (b. 1814/15)?  It is a possibility I'm not willing to discount.

Finally, I have no photographs of Robert Wellington Halpin.  But a photo has turned up online that may include an image of him.  It features the launch of the Wicklow lifeboat The Robert T. Garden, 7 September 1866.  Can anyone confirm that the photograph is indeed that of the Robert T. Garden.  And, if so, can anyone identify the characters featured in the photo?

PS - does anyone have access to a better print of the Robert T. Garden?  Much obliged for your help.

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Sunday 24 May 15 22:08 BST (UK) »
From The Wicklow Newsletter, Saturday, September 1, 1866.

Part One.

The establishment of a Lifeboat Institution at Wicklow is, in truth, a feature in the history of our town, of which the inhabitants may justly feel proud.  Its value cannot be overestimated when we consider the large numbers that are each year saved by the beneficent influence of such an institution.  About nine years ago a committee of the gentry and inhabitants founded the institution and erected a boathouse on our coast.  The building, becoming, after some time, undermined by the tides, it was taken down and at this junction Robert Jones Garden, Esq. came forward with his generous gift of a New Lifeboat and House to the Committee of the Parent Institution in London.  It was then arranged that the station should be at Wicklow, and accordingly the local committee, aided by the indefatigable exertions of their hon. sec., the Rev. Henry Rooke, lost no time in completing the erection of the new boathouse, which is situate on the Murrough within a trifling distance of the coast, and in immediate proximity to the telegraph office and railway station.  The Boathouse is an exceedingly handsome building in the Gothic style.  It is 46 feet in length and 21 feet in breadth, and is admirably adapted to the purpose for which it is intended.  In the front of the building, and immediately over the entrance is erected a chaste and beautiful marble tablet containing the following inscription:

"In Memory of Robert Theophilus Garden, Esq., Of River Lyons, Philipstown, King's County, Died 10th October 1862.''

''Him that cometh to me, I will in no wise cast out.'' - St. John vi, 37.

This Lifeboat Is Presented to The Royal National Lifeboat Institution, in the Names of His Affectionate Grandchildren, Mary Dorcas, and Blanche Jane Champagne.  7th September 1866.
Chas. H. Cooke, Hon. Architect.
Rev. Henry Rooke, Hon. Sec.

We may add that the building was executed by Mr. John Sayers, of Wicklow, and reflects great credit on his superior skill and workmanship.

On Friday next, the formal Presentation and Launch of the new Lifeboat will take place, and all necessary preparations are being made to celebrate the event in a manner suitable to the munificent gift of the high-spirited donor.  The programme of the proceedings is highly attractive and most judiciously arranged.  After the launch, there will be a great variety of aquatic and other amusements, including rowing matches, boat races, (not the least interesting of which will be a "Duck Hunt.'')  The several yachts in the bay will be decked in their gayest bunting.  The town itself will present a very animated appearance, and on the whole the day will be a gala one to the inhabitants of Wicklow.

We quote the following from the Journal of the Parent Institution in London:

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sunday 24 May 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
Part Two.

"The National Lifeboat Institution has just forwarded to Wicklow a new lifeboat.  The boat is 33 feet long, 8 feet wide and rows 10 oars, double-banked.  She possesses the usual valuable properties peculiar to this class of boats, viz. - self-righting, self-relief of water, etc., which qualities were found to be satisfactory in every way at the harbour trial of the boat in London a few days since.  She is provided with a transporting and a launching-carriage, from which she is launched with the crew on board, oars in hand, who are thus enabled to obtain headway before the breakers have time to beat the boat broadside on to the beach.  The cost of the Wicklow new lifeboat establishment was liberally presented to the Institution in the names of the grandchildren of the late Robert T. Garden, Esq., of River Lyons, King's County.  A commodious and substantial lifeboat-house has been built for the new lifeboat and carriage.  A free conveyance was readily given to them by the City of Dublin Steam Packet Company, and the Dublin, Wicklow, and Wexford Railway Company.  The lifeboat will be publicly exhibited and launched in Wicklow on Friday, the 7th September, that being the anniversary of the birthday of the late Mr. R. T. Garden.  The Institution is much indebted to the Rev. Henry Rooke, the hon. secretary of the Wicklow Branch, and the local committee generally, for their co-operation in the management of the Branch.  The lifeboat station will long remain a monument of the philanthropy of the benevolent donors.  The National Lifeboat Institution has now 168 lifeboats in connection with it.  During the present year alone the lifeboats of the Society have been the means, under God, of saving 260 of our fellow creatures from a watery grave, in addition to 252 lives saved by fishing boats and other means, for which services it has granted rewards.  As each lifeboat requires about £50 a year to keep it always ready for instantaneous service, it is evident that a large sum is required by the Institution to enable it to maintain in a state of efficiency its numerous lifeboat establishments, and that the good and sacred work in which it is so actively engaged can only be perpetuated by legacies and the continued support of the public at large.  To rescue the shipwrecked mariner from a watery grave, just within sight perhaps of his cherished home, looks like one of those great endeavours which an Irishman of all others would be the first to propose; and it is one that is yearly becoming more fixed in the minds of the people of this country.  The number of lives saved, either by the lifeboats of the Society or by special exertions, for which it has granted rewards since its formation, is 15,492; for which services 82 Gold Medals, 762 Silver Medals, and £22,460 in cash have been paid in rewards.  Since its formation the Institution has expended £144,918 on its Lifeboat establishments, in addition to the rewards it has granted.  We may add that contributions will be thankfully received by all the Irish and London bankers, by Mr. Samuel B. Taylor, Blakeney Houses, Sandymount, Dublin, the General Agent of the Irish Auxiliary of the National Lifeboat Institution, by the several Honorary Secretaries of the different Irish Lifeboat Branches, and by Richard Lewis, Esq., Secretary to the Institution, John Street, Adelphi, London.''

- from The Wicklow Newsletter, Saturday, September 1, 1866.

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 25 May 15 16:03 BST (UK) »
Report of the actual launch of the Robert T Garden.

Part One.

The Wicklow Newsletter, Saturday, September 8, 1866.

The town of Wicklow yesterday presented an appearance as animated and cheerful as it was spirited and encouraging.  The weather was most favourable, and, as a natural consequence, crowds arrived from the county districts, to show by their presence, if nothing more, their full appreciation of the memory of one whose name shall ever be held in grateful remembrance, not only by the tempest-tossed mariner, but also by every heart capable of appreciating those dangers and accidents connected with the mighty deep.

Shortly before twelve o'clock yesterday, according to previous arrangement, a procession was formed on the Murrough, and proceeded through the town in the following order:

Band of the Wicklow Rifles.
Staff of Wicklow Rifles.
Local Committee of the Royal National Life Boat Institution and Town Commissioners.
John Hayden, Esq., Chairman, and T.C.
Thomas Troy, Esq., Chairman of Town Commissioners.
Doctor Halpin, Joseph Pim, Doctor Banks, John Chapman, Thomas Doolittle, Henry MacPhail, Michael McCabe, John Oakes, James Dillon, William Gregg, Charles Ralph (all Town Commissioners).
Mr. Robert W. Halpin, Secretary to Town Commissioners, Mr. James Lambert, Surveyor to Town Commissioners.
Lifeboat, drawn by Six Horses.
Volunteer Life Brigade.
Admiral Jones (Representative of Robert Jones Garden, Esq., Donor of the Lifeboat, and Miss Jones.
The Right Hon. the Earl Fitzwilliam.
The Rev. Henry Rooke, Hon. Sec., to Local Branch of R.N.L.I.
Captain DeButts and family.
Captain Wynne, Secretary to Grand Jury.
Mr. Richard Keegan and family.

The procession proceeded, in order, down Leitrim Place, up Bachelor's Walk, by Wentworth Place, round the Abbey and up the Main Street as far as the Courthouse, returning to the Boathouse by the same route.

Having proceeded through the town, which was gaily decorated with flags, the procession returned and reached that portion of the shore selected for the launch shortly after one o'clock.  There was a large number of persona awaiting the procession. ...

Rev. Mr. Rooke then briefly addressed the spectators, observing that the inhabitants of Wicklow had reason to hold in grateful remembrance the name of Mr. Garden, whose practical benevolence had enabled the town to be established as a life boat station.  He rejoiced that the Earl Fitzwilliam would perform the duty of reading an address [which was beautifully illuminated by Mr. Hopkins of Great Brunswick Street, Dublin] to Mr. Garden, the benefactor, and proceeded to return thanks to the Parent Institution for suggesting Wicklow as the station for Mr. Garden's gift, to Lord Fitzwilliam for his presence on that occasion, to the Town Commissioners for granting the site and ground for the new boathouse, and to Miss Halpin for giving the use of her house on the quay in which the gear of the old lifeboat had been stored during the building of the boathouse.

Earl Fitzwilliam said - My friends and Inhabitants of the Town of County Wicklow - I am most happy to take my humble part amongst you today, in offering through Admiral Jones and Miss Jones, our most hearty thanks for the munificent specimen of naval architecture which has been presented by their relative Mr. Garden to this station.  I do not think there is any greater evidence of a thoroughly kind disposition than that which prompts a man to lay out the blessings which God had placed at his disposal in bringing as far as he is able to secure the lives of our sailors who may be cast by shipwreck to our shores, and it is through such vessels as these that we must seek to perform that most pleasing office, and I am sure you will one and all join with me in giving our most hearty thanks to Mr. Garden, for this most liberal present which has been sent here for that most Christian-like and laudable purpose.  I will honestly say to you that it had long been my intention to have done as much to benefit my fellow creatures whose occupations are on the sea as Mr. Garden has done; but I must congratulate Mr. Garden for having cut the ground from under my feet (applause).  I have now been desired by my friend and your neighbour Mr. Rooke, to read the ADDRESS, which we are to present to Mr. Garden, on this occasion.  It is as follows: