Author Topic: My Hughes & Griffiths ancestors from Nantmor  (Read 13210 times)

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Hughes & Griffiths ancestors from Nantmor
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,
I'll have a look at the Bishop's Transcripts to see if the entries are the same in that as they are in the original. If it's the case that the clergyman failed to ascertain the details of the parents of Jane Griffith, then they might have been added in on the transcripts.
I'll have a look at Ceiri Griffiths' book in the Library or Archives to better understand the situation.
Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 20 August 10 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,
Have looked at the Bishops Transcripts.
The entry for William Roberts on the 9th of March is not included; but the one for Jane is.
09/03/1806  Jane daughter of Robert Griffith of Carneddi and Elizabeth his wife.
If you look at Ceiri's book, page 108, about one third of the way down, on the left, you'll see this Jane, but no info about her, except her ancestors. If this is the correct Jane then you can trace your ancestors back to late 17th Century. Didn't have time to look properly at the info, but if Carneddog of Carneddi is of the same family, then there should be lot of info re the family available.
In the Transcripts there are 3 other Janes in the early part of 1806. One of these is also a possible candidate:
26/02/1806  Jane daughter of Griffith Jones of Tanyrhiw and Elle(i)n his wife.

In the Transcripts, 1836 marriage, Daniel's surname is clearly PUGHE in both cases.

I'll try and follow both Janes in the records to see if I can rule one of them out, but it will take time.
A couple of gravestone inscriptions which you might already be aware of:
Richard Hughes, Bryntirion, Nantmor 05/02/1896 aged 50, and Mary Hughes his wife,19/06/1899 aged 52.

AND
Robert Hughes, Hafod Llyn Uchaf, Nantmor 30/01/1899 aged 59 and his wife Ann Hughes 02/05/1926 aged 83. Also Laura Mary Jones daughter of the late Cadwaladr and Jane Jones, Hafod Ruffydd Ganol, Beddgelert 24/11/1925 aged 22.

I'll try and see if I can find a connection between the Hafod y Llyn Uchaf and Hafod Ruffydd Ganol families.
Emyr

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Now living in Fareham, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 August 10 21:39 BST (UK) »
Emyr, once again my thanks for your dedicated research.
What you have done on my behalf has been fantastic.

The two 1806 baptisms that you have discovered for Jane Griffith(s) both look very promising. I'm listing below the info that I have on Jane Hughes, nee Griffith(s) in case this may be of help to you:-
* 1841 Wales Census, living at HyLU, Nantmor aged 40 (when ages rounded down to nearest multiple of 5 & no birthplace was shown)
* 1851 Wales Census, living at HyLU, Nantmor aged 44 with birthplace as Beddgelert, Merionethshire (same as her husband Daniel)
* 1861 Wales Census, living HyLU, Nantmor aged 54 with birthplace as Beddgelert, Merionethshire (same as her husband Daniel)
* 1871 Wales Census, living at HyLU, Nantmor aged 64 with birthplace as Beddgelert, Carnarvonshire (same as her husband Daniel)
* 1881 Wales Census, living at Peniel Terrace, Nantmor aged 75 as Head (husband Daniel was dead) with birthplace as Beddgelert, Merionethshire
* 1891 Wales Census, living at Peniel Terrace, Nantmor aged 85 as grandmother to Head with birthplace as Nantmor, Merionethshire (same as her g/son Daniel)
* Death certificate showing she died on 15 Jun 1881 aged 65 at Bryntirion, Nantmor

The gravestones you've found were for Robert Hughes, the brother of my g gf Richard Hughes (both sons of Daniel & Jane) & his wife Ann(e), the sister of Richard's wife Mary!
I was previously unaware of the date of death of Robert but was aware of the date of death of Ann(e).
I know that Ann(e) was still at HyLU at the time of the 1901 Census but, currently, am still unaware of where she was living at the time of the 1911 Census. However, I suspect that it was not HyLU.

The Laura Mary Jones whose grave you've also found (& I was aware of her date of death) was a g/daughter of Robert & Ann(e). Laura Mary's mother was Jane Jones nee Hughes who at the time of the 1901 Census was living with her husband Cadwaladr at Hafod ryffydd -- so this is the tie-in.

Thanks also for your very generous offer to accompany Fiona & her partner to HyLU in Sept -- I must say I'm very jealous of her!
My very best regards, Rob
Hughes & Griffth(s) of Nantmor, Beddgelert
Williams of Bontnewydd
Edwards & Thomas of Harlech/ Llandanwg
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============
Davies/David of Pentrych/ Cardiff , Glamorgan
David of Peterstone super Ely, Glamorgan
Morgan of Eglwysilan, Glamorgan
Miles of Peterstone super Ely