Author Topic: Catherine Thomas born cMar 1881  (Read 4004 times)

Offline NellieT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Thomas born cMar 1881
« on: Monday 10 May 10 17:04 BST (UK) »
HI,I am researching Catherine Thomas who was born in Coedpoeth, Denbighshire in Mar 1881. I have been unable to find a marriage or death record that I can confidently say is Catherine. She was in Coedpoeth with her family in 1891 but her parents Henry and Mary Thomas were living in Festiniog in 1901 on their own. Her sister Sarah married in Festiniog in 1903 before moving to St Helen's. Brother William was in Cumberland and sister Mary was in Birkenhead  in 1901. Catherine seems to have disappeared. Can anyone help me trace her?  Thanks in anticipation NellieT

Offline NellieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Thomas born cMar 1881
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 November 10 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I have found a death of a Catherine Thomas registered Sep 1907 in the Festiniog district and the age is correct ie 26. Before I send for the death certificate can anyone tell me that this is NOT my Catherine. At 26 Thomas could be this lady's married name. If she belongs to your family let me know and I will carry on looking. Thanks NellieT

Offline bronnie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 November 10 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

Just a possibility, not a perfect match as year of birth is a bit out, although I notice her age was given as 9 in 1891, so not too much! Do you have Catherine in 1881 census? If so, is it  possible this baby Catherine died and they quickly  had  another child also  named Catherine? How would this fit with the d.o.b of the other siblings?

1901 Census Kate Thomas age 18 born Wrexham, Denbighshire 1883,  working in Ffestiniog as a servant.

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 5258; Folio: 47; Page: 13.

I have found that,  where people  were  working as servants, there could be more chance of errror and generalisation in their personal details.

N Wales BMD
has a marriage in 1903 in Ffestiniog between a Kate Thomas and a Robert Jones

1911 Census has a Kate  Jones born Coedpoeth 1883 living in Leigh Lancashire (which of course is not that much further along the East Lancs Road than  St Helens, where possible sister Sarah was living???)

Bron

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
Hughes.  Bangor, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Birkenhead, Liverpool
Roberts. Bedgellert, Dolwyddelan, Blaenau Ffestiniog
Williams. Dolwyddelan, Blaenau Ffestiniog,  Holyhead,  Ystalyfera
Jones. Holyhead, Birkenhead, Liverpool

...and on the other side
Holland   Frodsham, Liverpool
Bold       Liverpool
Kay        Glasgow, Liverpool
Wilkinso

Offline NellieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 November 10 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bronnie, I don't think I have the marriage you mention between Kate Thomas and Robert Jones in 1903. I will look into that. The Kate Jones in Leigh is married to a Richard Jones and a Richard Jones married a Kate Jones in Wrexham registration district in Mar 1903 . There were a few Kate Jones born 1882/1883 who could fit as the age doesn't really match with my Catherine.
Catherine was in the 1881 census as 0 years old in Coedpoeth. I believe she was the youngest of the family. There are no deaths of Catherine Thomas I can identify as a baby.
I agree that the 1901 census  entry for Kate Thomas, servant, is probably Catherine as I can't find a death or marriage before then.
Her brother William emigrated c 1903 to Canada with his wife and wife's sister and husband so I am also thinking about the possibility of her emigrating though William was 15 years older than her.
I shall look again at Robert and Kate Jones but either of them could have remarried before 1911 and Jones is of course the worst name to work with!
Thanks for your interest this topic. NellieT

Offline bronnie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 November 10 14:44 GMT (UK) »
North Wales bmd have the civil marriage for Kate Thomas and Robert Jones in 1903 in Ffestiniog.

4th quarter according to Ancestry.

:)

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
Hughes.  Bangor, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Birkenhead, Liverpool
Roberts. Bedgellert, Dolwyddelan, Blaenau Ffestiniog
Williams. Dolwyddelan, Blaenau Ffestiniog,  Holyhead,  Ystalyfera
Jones. Holyhead, Birkenhead, Liverpool

...and on the other side
Holland   Frodsham, Liverpool
Bold       Liverpool
Kay        Glasgow, Liverpool
Wilkinso

Offline NellieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 November 10 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I was looking at Catherine Thomas not Kate. The biggest problem is not knowing where any of the family were between 1891 and 1901 . Catherine could have died anywhere not necessarily Wrexham or Festiniog before 1901.