Author Topic: Constance Vera Laidler in Durban (COMPLETED)  (Read 7391 times)

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Constance Vera Laidler in Durban
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I believe the elder Francis Reay was born about 1877 but unfortunately I don't have any credits for Scotlands People as I don't have any Scottish ancestry. :-\

I'm beginning to think that Francis the younger & Connie didn't actually live in Durban, although that is the place they sailed to in 1939 & Francis came back from in 1950 & returned to a few weeks later. Perhaps just using the Port. :-\

Thanks again for all the help, I do appreciate it. :)

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi have you tried the LDS records. Use this link https://www.familysearch.org/ if you scroll down you come to Africa, follow the prompts and you will find images for births, marriages etc for Natal where Durban is located. Long shot but you may find a marriage for his new wife!

You can try this link to view gravestones in South Africa, http://www.eggsa.org/librarySearch/searchGraves.htm  typed in Laidler and found one buried in Durban, a Harold Laidler died 1934 aged 37, a brother perhaps?
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi again :)

I have tried the LDS records, went through all the marriages in Natal & there was nothing. Maybe I should scroll through all the records they have for Africa, something may turn up. :)

I'll have a look at the gravestone link, I don't know if the Harold you mention was any relation, I'll go back & check out the Laidler family from the census in case it's any help.

Thanks again.

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 20:28 GMT (UK) »
You can also try a search on that Lds link or you can go to your local Lds centre and use their records.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Linacre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Francis Laidler that came to Baxter Avenue in 1950 was my uncle.  His father (my grandfather) was Francis Reay and until now I was unaware that Uncle Frank also carried the name Reay.

I am not heavily into family trees and came across your question by chance but I can tell you that all the Laidlers came from Winlaton in Durjam and there is a kind of grouping on a US site that discusses all this.  The tiny public museum in Winlaton was owned by my grandfathers wife, Susan Jefferey, as a little cottage.

I remember talk of his first wife Vera.  Frank married again in Salisbury, Rhodesia and they adopted 2 boys whom they called Jeffrey and Alan.  They all moved to Durban when independence came.  We were visited by Victoria some years ago; I am not sure where she fits.

Frank was an active freemason in Salisbury so thee may be some records to trace that way. He was the eldest boy of 7 children; Mary, Frank, Elsie (died as an infant), Jeffrey, Nance (my mother born 1905), Phil, and Stella.

When the family moved to Baxter Avenue my mother had hoped to share a room but the there girls had still to sleep head to toe in one bed.  Grandad was a ships electrician and had a tough time finding work - he went to London and Liverpool etc to find it travelling with the family on tramp steamers; my mother was born in London.  He was an amateur baritone and I have some medals from concerts at the City Hall in Ncle.

Like a lot of families money was a struggle but you note that in his estate someone has mentioned he left over 2000 pounds.  When the family was at rock bottom in about 1952 a miracle happened - grandad won 2nd prize on the national football pools!  I think it was over 4000 pounds.  All the family got something and life was more relaxed.

I don't know if these anecdotes are of interest but I can tell you when Frank emigrated to Africa the family long case clock was sent and arrived in pieces as it had not been properly packed. 

Uncle Frank was an apprentice lithographer to Mawson,Swan and Morgan in Ncle before emigrating and did a few pictures of his own of which one or two examples survive somewhere in the family.

If I can help further let me know!

Regards, David Alcraft

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

I do appreciate you taking the time to join Roots & replying to my post, many thanks indeed. :)

I'm interested in anything you can tell me about the family as it may help to track down what happened to Constance Vera. What a pity about the family clock, bet that didn't go down very well.!!

I had assumed that they were living in Durban but if Frank married again in Salisbury Rhodesia perhaps that is where Connie died, if she died.

If you reply to this post & then make one more post I can PM (private message) you & perhaps we can swap e-mails.

Thanks again

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline Linacre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 December 12 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes, Harare would be a good place to look.  I belive Frank had a chain of fruit shops there and an interest in a canning and/or preserve factory after he dabbled in printing.

For the record, there was no brother called Harold and the 6 siblings were as I described.

How do you fit into the family exactly?!!

Regards, David

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 December 12 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

I've had a look on the Family Search site (Latter Day Saints) where they have a lot of death records for Harare but unfortunately I couldn't find anything for Constance Vera. There aren't many records for South Africa on the internet so I'm not having a lot of luck. Would you happen to know when Frank married Elizabeth in Harare, as that might help me to narrow down the possible years that Connie may have died.

My connection to the family is through Constance Vera Howes, she was the daughter of Frederick William Charles Howes & Sybil nee Beament. Sybil was my Great Aunt, my Grandfather's sister.

Thanks again for your help.

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline Linacre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 December 12 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Maddie

All I can add is that from memory Frank Reay Laidler the younger married again after an acrimonious divorce. I think I remember talk of his first wife still being alive in the early 60s so your assumption that he remarried after her death is, I think, not correct. For some reason the family had no contact with his first wife.

Regards, David

Regards, David,