Author Topic: Mcglynn's of Donegal  (Read 3691 times)

Offline GordonMc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mcglynn's of Donegal
« on: Thursday 27 March 14 13:55 GMT (UK) »
 Hi all first post on here. I am trying to find out a bit more about my Dads side of the family.

The facts I have are, his Grandfather was Peter McGlynn 1872-1938 born in Cloghan,Donegal, and  married Mary Ann Campbell on 9th October 1907. Peters father was Patrick McGlynn 1829 ? who married Mary Carlin.

I know about Peters history i.e. his children but trying to find the siblings of Peter has been a bit of a nightmare so any help would be gratefully received this is the generation I would like help on and anything about his father.

Thanks
           Gordon. :)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mcglynn's of Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 March 14 05:49 GMT (UK) »

The index search facility on the "RootsIreland" website identifies the following civil registration births for parents input as Patrick McGlynn and Mary Carlin: Peter McGlin 1872; Anne Mcglin 1875; James McGlin 1877; Bridget McGlin 1880; Patrick McGlin 1884; Bartley McGlin 1890. The "Parish / District" for all index entries is stated as Cloghan (Civil Parish / District).

The index search also identifies an 1890 church baptism for Bartholomew McGlyn for these parents, the "Parish / District" is stated as Cloghan (Roman Catholic).

To see the actual content of the transcribed records for these births and baptism is "pay to view".

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 March 14 06:01 GMT (UK) »

The index search facility on the "RootsIreland" website also identifies a civil registration record for the marriage of Patrick McGlinn to Mary Carlin in 1870, the "Parish / District" is stated as Cloghan (Civil Parish / District), the index search also indicates Patrick's father as John and Mary's father as Owen.

As before, to see the actual content of the transcribed record is "pay to view".

Offline GordonMc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 March 14 13:50 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks Gaffy
                    I had a lot of these names but some 15-20 years earlier so what I was looking at was not right, now i know Patrick Mcglynn's father I may be able to go further back.

Thanks again.
                    Gordon.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 March 14 11:22 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal

if you come down the page to Basic search box and then type in McGlynn of Cloghan

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 March 14 14:46 BST (UK) »
Just for reference purposes
An Owen Carlin appears on Calendar of wills 1901 Galadoo,Barnesmore,Donegal.
Civil Death register has him as Owen Carlin age 65
1901 census seems to have him as Owen Carolan 65 in Galadoo.

Offline GordonMc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 April 14 16:42 BST (UK) »
 Thanks for the Info everyone, but once again I am struggling to determine whose Patricks siblings were, there seems to be so many Mcglynn's in and around Cloghan that I am really having difficulty in determining who is who…!!!! If I knew who his father John was married to that may be of some help but all attempts have failed on that front.
 Do the records for Ireland i.e. Census only start from 1901 >>???  And where would I visit in Donegal for records in the Cloghan area. ?

Thanks again..   :-\