Author Topic: Cole Family in Ryhall, Rutland  (Read 5885 times)

Offline slowbutsure

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cole Family in Ryhall, Rutland
« on: Saturday 19 November 11 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I have tracked my family to Ryhall, Rutland in the 1841 census, the Head of Family was Samuel Cole (age 35) Agricultural Labourer.
However the print out of the page does not show a road etc.  Is this common or is it that it appears on the previous page perhaps. 
Can anyone help on their location in Ryhall?

The reference is HO107/895 Bk 6 folio 10 pages 19 & 20

Thanks for any help

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cole Family in Ryhall, Rutland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 November 11 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have looked at all the pages and they start ditto - which isn't helpful.
the first page just says Ryhall and the district page - which lists the route the enumerator took  just says Ryhall so i guess its such a small place the enumerator didn't think it worth borthering!!

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline slowbutsure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 November 11 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Diddy,
Thanks very much for your speedy reply.  It was just a hope as in another branch of the family the enumerator in 1841 had at least put "village" or "rose cottage" i.e. some idea of location.
In 1841 there were 8 living in the dwelling.  By 1851, still in Ryhall, there were 11 living together. 
Census ref. H.O.107/2094.
As they were agricultural labourers and the mother in law was listed as a pauper I suspect overcrowded rather than big house.  In the 1851 census again no street name but it does say No.50.  Perhaps in those days it was just No.50 Ryhall.

Offline hugatree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think you will find that the number 50 refers to the property number the enumerator visited.  As most small villages in those days didn't really have streets or house numbers, they just started at one end and worked their way through.  Even in 2001 Ryhall only had had a population of about 1700 people.

Offline slowbutsure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hugatree,

Thanks for your comments. 
I was looking up some details on "vision of britain through time" and the population in 1841 was 678 (and 128 houses) by 1851 it had risen to 1075 (161 houses) and then came the agricultural decline.  This gives an av. of 5.3 per house (1841) and 6.7 per house (1851).
So my family with 8 in 1841 and 11 in 1851 seem to have been down the poor end of society.  Nothing Changes!!
Slowbut sure

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 December 11 14:20 GMT (UK) »

However the print out of the page does not show a road etc.  Is this common or is it that it appears on the previous page perhaps. 

It was very common in the case of villages and hamlets. In the 1841 Census it was only necessary for the enumerator to give the name, if any, of the house, or the name of the street, or part of the town, village or hamlet in which it stood. From 1851 onwards they were specifically instructed to give the number of the house as well.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cole1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 February 12 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi just found your other post, don't want to come across as a stalker lol.  Never knew this website existed! I think we are somehow related through samuel cole. without sounding like the afore mentioned stalker, I read on your other post that your family moved down to surrey to do building works on the crystal palace, was this william cole? The building trade must be in the blood as my gr gr grandfather John Cole was a major builder in Leicester as was his sons, building the trocadero cinema on uppingham road and the Lido in the same area and many streets in the narborough road south area are named after Coles and one Cole even lived in scraptoft Hall in the 1930's. Please feel free to contact me and will give you my e mail address as may have some information that may be of relevance to you.
Regards Hayley