Author Topic: gorham name  (Read 22560 times)

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
gorham name
« on: Tuesday 28 June 11 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, Im new to this please be patient:I am researching my ancestors and have got back to a James Gorham c 2/8/1789 Aldington Ashford Kent. I am trying to go back further but cannot confirm. Father is quoted as a James Gorham m Mary Andrews at Hinxhill Ashford 26/3/1786.
The above are my ancestors and I know of two other Gorham branches from Kent and cannot find the link, as Kent/East Sussex are fairly small in area fuzzy logic would indicate a common ancestor.
I migrated to Western Australia (WA) in 1953 and am the eldest member of this Gorham branch now 74yrs, I would appreciate anyone being able to assist me in my quest.
Thanks and regards copper john Perth WA

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: gorham name
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi John and welcome to Rootschat  :D

There is a memorial listed for James GORHAM of Aldington who died aged 24 in Hinxhill Churchyard

http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Libr/MIs/MIsHinxhill/01.htm

There is also one for Mary, his widow, who remarried to James CHITTENDEN
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 11:57 BST (UK) »
James GORHAM left a will.  :D

There are also other GOR(E)HAM wills from nearby parishes which might be worth investigating.

http://www.kentarchaeology.ac/ekwills_a/series/ekp_p2/ekp_p2n_go.htm

They can be great for exploring relationships within families.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi bearkat, thanks for response,my james Gorham went to London and became clock/watchmaker to the Queen and royal family, had a son francis also clockmaker, they both died in 1856 and are buried together at Kensall Green cemetary London.
I have a forum query in the august edition of foremost London Horology magazine so hope to get info regarding their working history etc.I also have Jame's will no clues here.
So we have a small problem, was someone using a nickname?can you please check if any birthdate for your James, mine was christened 2/8/1789 parents james m mary andrews Hinxhill Ashford 26/3/1786.
cheers copper john

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 08:55 BST (UK) »
 The MI at Hinxhill says:

1791 In memory of James GORHAM late of Aldington who died [26 June 1791 aged 24. Left issue by Mary his wife two children viz James and Hester]

That would fit in with your James.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
Thankyou bearkat, you are correct, I was thinking about james the son, just shows how silly to have father and son with the same name-just like my dear old dad with john!. I have done more research today and come up with Jame's jnrs sister as an Esther c 30/12/1787 at Sevington on LDS film no 1737007, the name differences could be a typo?,do you know if mary and james CHITTENDEN had any children which would have been half b&s to james jnr and esther by James GORHAM snr?.
Also same period is a Mary c 26/7/1789 at Aldington and James c 2/8/1789 at Aldington both on LDS film no 1736521- I am perplexed.
Is your interest in the Gorham name similar to mine, if so let me know what you are researching for my help to you, cheers from down under.
copper john

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 12:44 BST (UK) »
The next MI mentions one son from the second marriage who died young.  Kent MIs can be very informative.  ;D

1822 In memory of Mary CHITTENDEN late of Brabourne. Relict of James GORHAM who died 28th of February 1838 in the 72nd year of her age. Also of Edward Andrew Chittenden son of James Chittenden and the above Mary who died 10th of March 1822 in the 22nd year of his age.

The parish records for Hinxhill may reveal more children as might Mary's will

Chittenden  Mary   Brabourne  1833 1838 PRC17/110/194  PRC16/543 C/4

http://www.kentarchaeology.ac/ekwills_a/series/ekp_p2/ekp_p2p_bou.htm

I have no connection with the GORHAM family - just helping another Rootschatter  :D

Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 June 11 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hi bearkat, your quick and quality responses are appreciated, I have scanned your replies;how can I get access to the wills register over there? to check validity of more names and dates going back to 1692 also with bmd records.
I have the time and would have to check on line for this info; to your knowledge has anyone else done a family tree on this name and branch?, I have a family tree of another branch also from Kent/East Sussex who migrated to NSW in 1838 and am trying to find the link to bind these two branches together.
Thanks again for your very able assistance.
copper john

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 June 11 08:27 BST (UK) »
The list of wills can be found here

http://www.kentarchaeology.ac/ekwills_a/series/ekp2_intro.html

Details of how to obtain a copy of a will can be found via this link

http://www.kentarchaeology.ac/ekwills_a/series/contacts2.html

You may find a GORHAM family tree if you search the internet.

Proving a link between branches of family trees can be quite difficult.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE