Author Topic: Perth Prison  (Read 32658 times)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Perth Prison
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 22:18 BST (UK) »
I think that was probably the case, Lass. His trial might have been in the process when the census was taken. It looks (and I'm only guessing) he might have been accused of bigamy; any chance he married soon before that date?

In the "Search for:" box, I typed William Crumley and put a dot in the "All Words (AND)" circle. That makes sure both words appear in the record. Then I clicked search and voila, it appeared! I usually add to the Dates from/to fields in the case of a popular name.

hume24 :)

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 22:25 BST (UK) »
It's interesting that bigamy appears to be the allegation - this family is posing quite difficult to get to grips with and there's seems to be several wives popping up!  In the 1881 cenus he's living with a woman who is registered as his lodger but whom he later marries although I can't find the record.  He also has his son living with him at that point, and the son's surname is neither his father's nor the lodger/surrogate-mum-to-be.

As for the search, I swear I tried that already!!!  But now I've done it again, and hey presto.  Thank you so much for your help Hume, it's very much appreciated :D  I'm sure mum will be disappointed that it wasn't something more interesting!!!  ;D

Lass x

Offline Oramazda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 June 08 22:39 BST (UK) »
Try the AK Bell Library in Perth; they have very good archivists and are usually very willing to help point people in the right direction.
http://guide.visitscotland.com/vs/guide/5,en,SCH1/objectId,INF50710Svs,curr,GBP,season,at1,selectedEntry,home/mailfs.html
McNaught, Robertson, Wighton, Duncan, Dawes, Fyffe, French, Getty, Herdman, Jelly, Gourlay, Vickers, Armstrong, Ruffell.

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 June 08 23:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that tip Oramazda!  :)

Lass x

Offline blackcat153

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 December 08 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just found your conversation of June 2008 re Perth Prison. (I had someone of mine in there too :o!)
If you can't get to West Register House in Edinburgh to look at the actual documents (assuming they still exist in half-decent form), I could do this for you sometime, if you like?

I'm in there occasionally - yes, I do research as an occasional business, but this isn't touting for business - it would be a total freebie, unless you want copies of documents, for which they charge £2.50 for every 5 pages.

Court papers often include witness statements in the witnesses' own handwriting, etc - fascinating!

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 December 08 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Blackcat & welcome to Rootschat

can I take you up on your kind offer of a look up at West Register House.I went to NAS in the summer looking for this info and was told details were held at West Register House which was just about to close for the day :(.
I would appreciate if you could take the time for this look up and if so what details do you need.
Fiona

Offline blackcat153

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 December 08 16:41 GMT (UK) »
No problem Fiona - I might even manage to get in this week, with luck.
Only problem might be that they are doing some maintenance work at present, so some documents have had to be stored off-site - if yours are amongst that lot ( which I won't know till I get there), they have to be ordered up 24 hours in advance, and I may not be able to stay in Edinburgh for that. If that's the case, it would be after New Year.

Gather it was William Crumley  AD14/71/16 and JC26/1871/19.   ?

I can look at papers and just jot down notes, post them to you on this website.
If you want copies, either I could order and pay for them to be sent out , as they have to be scanned by photgraphics dept which takes about 7 -10 days. (In which case, we'd need to figure out a safe way of exchanging addresses), or else I can just give you details, and you could try ordering them up long-distance. Are you in UK?

Janice

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 December 08 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janice

Thanks.There is no hurry.

not William Grumley though but John Burnside and his wife Hannah Burnside nee Sanderson
related record JC26/1863/97
"              "        "        "      "
John was sentenced at Jedburgh Sherriff court 1863....
crime- theft and reset of theft.Wondering what they stole ???.John got 15months in Perth prison his wife got off without sentence.
I know after John was out of prison they used the surname Burns instead of Burnside and moved to Glasgow.Do you need any other info.
If you find the info relating to John can you private message the results to me, due to copyright issues.
Fiona

Offline blackcat153

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 13 December 08 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Oops, sorry, Fiona - I was looking at the wrong post.

That's probably enough info - leave it with me, and I'll let you know if I find anything. You'll need to talk me through how to do the private post bit, as I'm a new kid on this forum!
J