Author Topic: 1851 census lookup - WATSON family in Rosemarkie  (Read 16598 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census lookup - WATSON family in Rosemarkie
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 June 14 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred  :)

I've had a good search for a baptism for him as just 'George' no surname in some of the border counties around his approx birthdate but nothing so far. His marriage cert has his mother as Margaret (Hollans)  but the surname could be made up.  His baptism might be one of the missing ones. There might be something in the Kirk Sessions minutes but which parish? It could be a one of a number  in the broad Jedburgh area  :-\

If he was educated at Edinburgh University, there might well be some alumni records.  Someone would have had to pay fees.  However, the info from his obituary would have been what he'd told his family and you are really looking for proof  :-\

I think the will, etc. might be the best way to go.  I'll keep looking for a poss on the 1851.

Gadget

PS - there is a family surnamed Hollands in Jedburgh on the 1851. There's a George b.c 1830, shoemaker but he's still there is 1861. It might be worth checking on the Hollands (variations) in the area.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 June 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
Looks interesting ~
Nisbet Mill, Crailing
In the household of David Walker, farmer
Margaret Hollands, 35-39, female servant, b. Roxburghshire

Crailing is reasonably close to Jedburgh, Ancrum and Galashiels, all places that he said he was born.

No sign of a George, though, who would have been 12.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline fred2derf

• I am not longer being notified of new replies
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 June 14 05:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget,

Many thanks.

I used 10 credits and got the first 2 of 43 pages of Robert's Will and they contained nothing of any use.

Fred.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 14 June 14 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred

If you had had  a bit more time/patience and had flicked through further you would see that the inventory ends and a testament/will follows.  (I flicked through to the end of the inventory - I didn't bother reading it - and it only took a few minutes). The 10 credits is for the whole 43 pages.

A Trust is set up consisting of his wife Flora Sanderson, his son Thomas and others. In it he mentions 'my said eldest son Thomas Sanderson Hall...... pay over to my son George Hall at present a teacher in Fortrose the sum of three hundred pounds sterling ................  residue .... ....divide ..... equally amongst my lawful children : the said Thomas Sanderson Robert Adam Joanna Agnes Flora and Jemima Catherine'. 

To me, this is very strong evidence that although George is recognised as a son, he is not listed as a 'lawful' child - i.e. he was illegitimate. His son Thomas is regarded as his eldest lawful son.

There might be further mention of George but I've not read it all.   

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 June 14 07:20 BST (UK) »

A Codicil at the end instructing his Trustees not to pay George Hall the three hundred pounds as he'd already been given it. Got to go so haven't read it all. Will so when I get back.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 14 June 14 13:24 BST (UK) »
I've skim read all of the will now. It seems that George was given £300 before Robert died and was excluded from any other share of the estate.

I've also found young George in 1841 with Robert's parents!

Galashiels Island or Halls Place,Melrose
- same address as Robert's - see Reply #10 and #11
Thomas Hall, 60, Mason (journeyman), 60
Agness, 60
William, 35, Mason (journeyman)
Euphema, 25
George, 12
All b. Roxburghshire

Gadget

PS George also mentioned in the Post Office Directory (4th entry on page) :

http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/pageturner.cfm?id=85190979&mode=transcription

and on page 39 of same directory:

Hall, George, rector, Grammar School — house, 3 Barns street

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 14 June 14 14:20 BST (UK) »
Someone else  from Aus looking for same family - unless you're Dave:

http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.com/showthread.php?t=25961

(last posting is wrong, I think)

Offline fred2derf

• I am not longer being notified of new replies
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 19 June 14 04:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget,

Thank you very much.

I didn't see any way to get past page two. It said something to the effect that you have to pay for other pages that have not been viewed. That was the first Will I've attempted to get from SP. It was not that I lacked the time or the patience.

Regards,

Fred

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 19 June 14 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred

If you only had 2 pages, you must have misread it or there was some mistake. If you go back into SP, click on 'Viewed Images' - top left of page- then select the will.

You will see  'View Page after (Paid)' - e.g. below.  Flick through until you come to the end of the inventory . There are 43 pages for  the 10 credits.

Gadget