Author Topic: Middlesbrough - Eston area  (Read 27910 times)

Offline jeaner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Middlesbrough - Eston area
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 March 11 09:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks George. I have tried google, old maps etc. but little discovered. Time I am interested in is really 1850 -70 and very little from that time. Have had Craig's film for some years but again not much footage of the old Eston - and not able to copy as it is his copyright.
I remember the blacksmith's as a working smithy when I was a child. From that you may have gathered that I am not your usual degree student - back at uni following retirement.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 April 11 01:04 BST (UK) »
Jeaner - the libraries usually have local history books which may give you what you want. The ones in Redcar and Marske have books which contain lots of historic photos of the area and some books of old postcard pictures. I would think that the libraries around the Eston area would have something similar for the surrounding area. There's a good library in Birchington Avenue, Grangetown:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0cjz/

If you give them a ring they will be able to tell you if they have any such books and if so what.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 April 11 22:38 BST (UK) »
There are a series of books such as "Middlesbrough in old Picture Postcards" there may be one for Eston?  Try Guisborough Book Shop - they have/or had, an excellent range of books such as these.
I think their number is 01287 610179

Ceeoh

Offline dollarkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 December 12 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Re 121 High Street Eston.
Bulmer's 1890 Directory for Eston has a list of Trades there, some with addresses.
    Your photograph shows  part of the High Street before the construction of The Square as an "island" for buses, toilets etc. You can see the wall behind the man on the right, which extended to the Institute and was without buildings.
     On the extreme left was OSBORNE'S DARPER'S SHOP which was no 69 in 1890. Though the shopowners'names changed over the years, the trade carried out often did not. Being an Eston lad, born in the 1930s, I think that I can identify the following by continuing LEFT around the back of the photographer who took your shot - i.e. towards Gladstone, West , William Streets, past the hospital site to California WHERE PROSPECT TERRACE IS SITUATED:
(Bracketed names apply to the 1930s-1940s)
OSBORNE 69
BUTCHER 71(There is stilla butcher next door)
CONFECTIONER 75 (was Maggie Norman's)
STATIONER 93 (was Patterson's or Pengilly's)
POSTMASTER 105(COMPLETELY SURE OF THIS ONE) (was Stoddart's)
in other words we are heading for your no 121 probably between the hospital site and the bottom of California Bank and PROSPECT TERRACE
( Prospect Terrace contained the homes of the peers of Eston society!)
With a little more time I might be able to pinpoint no 121.
 Best Wishes, Ron Kerrison.

Offline jeaner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 December 12 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ron Kerrison
My mum knew your grandma (pretty sure you must be one of the old Eston Kerrisons). She was a Congregationalist and later a Methodist and lived in Eston until 1936ish but most Sundays we went back to church there. I think your grandad was a miner, both of mine were, one killed in 1901 and the other lived in California. Mum was originally a Wilkinson, Smith when she married.
Roots die hard.

Offline dollarkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi again! If your mum was VERA WILKINSON, (and lived at number 121??), then there is no problem. She lived at the house on the California side of the hospital site - later it became a DIY-type shop.
If that is the case,I will have to somejhow get your emailaddress and tell you a few storiesBesrt Regards Ron Kerrison.

Offline dollarkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi again! If your mum was VERA WILKINSON, (and lived at number 121??), then there is no problem. She lived at the house on the California side of the hospital site - later it became a DIY-type shop.
If that is the case,I will have to somehow get your emailaddress and tell you a few stories! Regards Ron Kerrison.

Offline jeaner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 10:59 GMT (UK) »
No Ron. She was Emily Wilkinson, my dad was a miner and then a steelworker and they moved to Grangetown in the 1930's. My sister was Joyce Smith before she married and lived in Flatts Lane, Normanby for a lot of years in the late 50's, 60's & early 70's - she was then Joyce Jones. Often heard mum talk about the Kerrisons, think she saw members of the family when she went up to Eston - which was very frequently as we had family there and she went to church there. Were your family Salvation Army? Seems to ring a bell.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 December 12 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Ron, thank you for your input re the location of number 121.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales