Author Topic: Farrows of Rosedale - Margaret  (Read 10169 times)

Offline trimble705

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Farrows of Rosedale - Margaret
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 April 14 16:51 BST (UK) »
Intresting comments by all.

My Grandmother was Glady's Christie. Her Great Grandmother was Mary Hodgson who married Christopher Farrow. We have an old chest with a note in it from my grandmother that says it was the original property of John Farrows mother and that it came over from England in 1846 i n a sail boat (10weeks). Boat landed July 16, 1846. It then says G or J Farrow born July 17, 1846.

I take it she is talking about John Farrow being born just after they landed. I have John Farrows DOB as July 17, 1845 but I do not have a source to confirm his birth date. Anyone else?

Cheers

Stephen Hall

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 April 14 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

Nice to talk to you again cousin!!  There are a few sources for John's date of birth.  Unfortunately, the year isn't always the same.  His tombstone in Sunderland (Ontario) says "In Memory of John Farrow born July 17 1846, died Oct 15, 1918". 

The 1901 census says he was born July 17 1845.  The 1911 census says he was born in July 1845.   His death record says that he was 73 years old when he died in October of 1918, so that would mean a birth year of 1845.  On his marriage registration (March 24 1874), he says he is 27.  That would mean a birth year of 1846 (because his birthday is in July)!!

I am sure that the July 17 day is correct, but the year could be either 1845 or 1846.  I assume that his wife and/or children gave the information for the tombstone inscription, so they thought the correct year was 1846. 

My grandmother always told me that John was born "a few days after" the family arrived in Canada, and that the ocean voyage took almost 3 months.  In all records, John says he was born in Ontario - so the family would have had to make their way to Ontario from wherever they landed (the Maritimes or Quebec or USA) before he was born. 

RK :)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 April 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Looking at the 1845 v 1846 question, I have put 1845 as the "preferred" year on my tree, with 1846 as an alternate.  The census records which say 1845 would have come from John himself.   Also, I have looked at other sources of information to see if there are any other references to the year that the family settled in Ontario.   

In the book The Green Pastures of Old Brock, by Jack A Gordon, there is a list of some early settlers.  It says John Farrow, farmer, was born in Canada and settled in Brock County in 1845.  (page 177)

Also, the Canadian County Atlas project says 1845

http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/showrecord.php?PersonID=110024

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 April 14 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi once more,

Just to let you know, I also checked the Wesleyan Methodist Baptismal Register online and I didn't see him there.  His brother Christopher and sister Sarah Jane are listed though.  The register has records from 1843, so I had hoped he might be on there. 

I only checked the free online version.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wjmartin/wm-f_8.htm

Perhaps it might be worth looking in the actual books??

http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/search.jsp?Ntt=Wesleyan+Methodist++Baptismal+Register+

RK