Author Topic: Is there a 1941 Obituary for Alderman Charles (Charlie) Harris of Redcar, YNR?  (Read 5948 times)

Offline Bonza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Solving mysteries, that's the life!
    • View Profile
1941 REDCAR, YNR, ENGLAND OBITUARY REQUEST  ;D

Hi everyone, I'm looking for an Obituary for Alderman & Mayor of Redcar, Charles (Charlie) Harris, who died as a result of a WW2 bombing raid in 1941. A bomb landed on the Zetland Club in Redcar, YNR, England on 21 Oct 1941 killing him and 14 others.

I think there could be one in 'The Cleveland Standard', but I'm open to suggestions.

I hope there's someone out there who could possibly help, as I need to find out what family members are stated in the Obituary, including any possible married name for his daughter Edna.

In anticipation and with thanks, Neil (in Australia)
Gill (Northants & Oxfordshire), Cockfield (Scotland), Sherriff (Leicestershire, Northants, Oxon & Bucks), Lindsay (Cumberland), Lacey (Somerset), Bisson (Guernsey, CI), Claringbold (Kent & London), Boyd (Dublin, Ire), Crouch (Sussex), Leviston (Dublin), Trand (Clare, Ire), Lewin (London & Surrey). 1824-1825 Hume & Hovell Expedition to Port Phillip - party members Hamilton Hume, William Hilton Hovell, Thomas Boyd, Henry Angel, James Fitzpatrick, Claude Barrois, Benjamin Smith & Samuel Bullard.

Online Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a 1941 Obituary for Alderman Charles (Charlie) Harris of Redcar, YNR?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if my local library has Teeside papers but it should have the Northern Echo, which may have something.  I'll pop in later today or sometime tomorrow and have a look.

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline Bonza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a 1941 Obituary for Alderman Charles (Charlie) Harris of Redcar, YNR?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help Drosybont, much appreciated.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers, Neil
Gill (Northants & Oxfordshire), Cockfield (Scotland), Sherriff (Leicestershire, Northants, Oxon & Bucks), Lindsay (Cumberland), Lacey (Somerset), Bisson (Guernsey, CI), Claringbold (Kent & London), Boyd (Dublin, Ire), Crouch (Sussex), Leviston (Dublin), Trand (Clare, Ire), Lewin (London & Surrey). 1824-1825 Hume & Hovell Expedition to Port Phillip - party members Hamilton Hume, William Hilton Hovell, Thomas Boyd, Henry Angel, James Fitzpatrick, Claude Barrois, Benjamin Smith & Samuel Bullard.

Online Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil

Had a quick look.  The Northern Echo reports the raid in the following day's paper, 22 Oct, then a few days later mentions the funeral of two other people killed in the incident, then on 29 Oct says there was a memorial service to all those killed.  Didn't spot anything about Mr Harris's funeral, though on microfilm I may have missed it, and although the report of the memorial service says that most of the space was kept for relatives, it doesn't give names.  With wartime restrictions on reporting and shortage of newsprint, all the articles are quite short.  You might have more luck if anyone could check another newspaper closer to Redcar - maybe the Middlesbrough Evening Gazette?  They don't have it in my library unfortunately.

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline Bonza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Drosybont

Thanks so much for going to that effort for me. I know how laborious it can be trawling through microfilm newspapers. It all adds to the picture though, so it's much appreciated.

Thanks too for the other Middlesbrough Evening Gazette suggestion. There could be something in that one or perhaps in 'The Cleveland Standard' if anyone is near the area or somewhere that has these papers.

Is there anyone out there in the Middlesborough or Redcar area that could maybe help?

Many thanks and cheers for now, Neil

Offline ed5344

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Neil,

Looked up the Middlesbrough Evening Gazette for Wednesday October 22 1941.

Mayor of North East Town Dies In Air Raid:   The Mayor and a number of prominent citizens, including the chairman of the local magistrates and a town councillor lost their lives in a raid last night,when a club suffered a direct hit.   The story goes on to name some of the victims but no mention of  a Mr Charles Harris.

I am in Redcar on Friday 7 march so will check the Cleveland Standard news paper for you.

Eddie.

Offline Bonza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 March 14 04:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eddy

Thanks so much for your kind help. The family Obituary is what I need. It could appear in one of the papers of the time even up to 2-3 weeks after the incident.

Good hunting and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I really appreciate your efforts Eddy. Thanks.

Cheers for now, Neil

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 March 14 13:33 GMT (UK) »
His death notice was in the Northern Echo Friday 24th - Alderman Charles Harris JP dearly loved husband of the late Sarah Annie Harris.  Cortege leaves 11 Henry Street Redcar Saturday 11.40 a.m. for service in Redcar Parish Church at 12 noon.  Interment Redcar Cemetery.  Friends please accept this (the only) intimation.

The funeral report was in the Northern Echo Monday 27th:

Funeral of the Mayor of Redcar.  The funeral took place on Saturday of Ald. Charlie Harris, Mayor of Redcar who was killed by enemy action.  The mayors, town Clerks and members of the corporations of Middlesbrough, Darlington, Richmond, Thornaby and West Hartlepool and aldermen, councillors and officials of the Redcar Corporation attended the service at St Peter's Parish Church, Redcar.  Among the general mourners were: Cmdr. R. T. Bower, MP for Cleveland Division, and the Hon. Mrs Bower; Mr W. Kelly (representing the Minister of Home Security); Mr A. Bean, deputy Chief Constable for the North Riding (representing the Chief Constable, Col. J. C. Chaytor), Capt P.A.S. Roberts (representing Col. H.N. Bright) Green Howards.  Among the family mourners were: Mr and Mrs H.H. Harris, son and daughter-in-law, London; Mr and Mrs Grierson, brother-in-law and sister, Richmond; Mr and Mrs Churchman, brother-in-law and sister, Eaglescliffe; Mrs F. Harris, sister-in-law, Kingate; Mrs A. Harris, Eaglescliffe, Mrs ?(unclear) and Mrs R Fenwick, Norton; Mr and Mrs J. W. Harper, Redcar.

I took prints of the article from the 23rd - there is a small photo of Charlie - also of the funeral write-up if you would like them.  Send me a PM with your email address and I can scan & email them to you.  The funeral report has black lines through the article but is mostly readable apart from the initial of the first Mrs Fenwick.

Offline Bonza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 March 14 03:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi tillypeg

Thanks so much for this information and all your efforts. The funeral notice is very helpful particularly as it mentions family.

I'm still hopeful that someone may find an Obituary in the Cleveland Standard or some other paper, but I guess we'll see.

I'll send you a PM with my email as suggested.

Cheers for now, Neil