Author Topic: Gibraltar. Birth details needed for the son of a UK soldier, born 1840  (Read 2594 times)

Offline BPalmer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi All,

I'm looking for any birth details for the son of a British soldier who was stationed in Gibraltar in 1840. The son's name is Benjamin Palmer.

His father is James Palmer,  who served in the First (or the Royal) Regiment of Foot, 1st Battn. His regimental number is # 365. It does seem that this Battalion was stationed in Gibraltar in about 1840.

What I would like to know is whether the birth details of the children of British soldiers who were born in Gibraltar were registered officially in the UK, or may appear in regimental records, or whether there is a local Gibraltar record I should be looking at?

I'm really looking for any details of Benjamin's mother...

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Brian Palmer

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gibraltar. Birth details needed for the son of a UK soldier, born 1840
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 July 09 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian

There was no requirement to register overseas birth to British soldiers in the UK. I believe that civil registrations did not start in Gibraltar to 1848. That leaves the overseas/regimental indexes on Findmypast. If you find a match you can order the certificate from the (UK) GRO.

Failing that you will have to try the church baptism records, which do not appear to be on the IGI. You could try - www.gibraltargenealogy.com

or email: csro@gibnynex.gi to confirm the BMD start date, and you could ask if they know of a local FH site in order to get information about the churches. I know that some army baptisms were held at King’s Chapel, but a full list of churches would be useful.

They do have a website -  www.gibraltar.gov.gi - but I cannot find anything useful, and it lacks a search facility.

Was James born in Tyrone? If so I assume you have his records from Kew, and you will know that the army did not keep FH records. If you are after his marriage or other children you could go to Kew and track his service using the Musters Books (WO12) and then look in records of churches he was based near. At least his records will tell you if he was transferred to the 2nd Battalion or Depot at any time.

Ken

Offline BPalmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 July 09 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Many thanks for your suggestions. Yes, James was born near Cookstown, Tyrone. I have no evidence that he was married to Benjamin's mother. He did marry later in Paisley in 1851 to a Scottish lass, before emigrating to NZ in 1852 as a Fencible soldier.

I'll follow up on your church records suggestions.

Thanks again,

Brian

Offline Kerrydave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hello there - I am sorry if I have already replied to this - and I'm not sure if you have the info you may need.  but I think you may be referring to someone related to me! James Palmer did marry Christine Orr/Stewart in 1851 and definitely moved to NZ aboard the ship Berwick Castle - they did not have any children before coming to NZ - what year was Benjamin born?  I am currently looking thru all my info - so let me know if you are still interested - cheers Kerry

Offline BPalmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

Thanks for making contact to an old post. I actually have a fair amount of information about James and Christina, and their children who were born in New Zealand and Paisley (before they left for NZ in 1852). Actually Christina had another daughter Elizabeth, born in Edinburgh in the late 1840s, from her first marriage and James had a son Benjamin, born in Gibraltar in 1840. I would be interested in hearing how you are related to the family and whether you might have additional historical material that I don't have. I may be able to help in return. Maybe we can correspond a bit more by PM?

Thanks and kind regards, Brian

Offline Kerrydave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 23:07 BST (UK) »
Yes that would be great - I am not sure if we are supposed to send email details but will try
my email is kerrydave @ Clear dot net dot nz - hopefully you get the gist??
And yes that would be great - cheers Kerry

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 23:20 BST (UK) »
Kerry, please edit your reply to remove your email address. Click on the 'modify' button and when you have finished click on 'save'.

You can use the personal message system to exchange this information.

Thanks

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea