Author Topic: Alfred HADDOCK & Hannah BOND of Lostock Gralam  (Read 11178 times)

Offline AncestryFinder

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred HADDOCK & Hannah BOND of Lostock Gralam
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 May 08 16:32 BST (UK) »
DS -

YES, this Martha COLLIER was Alfred's 1st wife -- I am guessing they got a divorce because in 1890 she married Thomas COLLIER.  This is what was sent to me for the 1891 CENSUS:

11 Manchester Road, Marsland Green, Astley

Thomas COLLIER    Head  Marr   30    Coal Miner       Aspull
Martha         "         Wife  Marr    29                            Leigh
Mary     "                Dau               5                               "
Ruth     "                 Dau               3                               "
John            "          Son               2 Mths                      "

There are a few mistakes -- Martha was born in Runcorn, Cheshire according to her birth cert.
Mary and Ruth are both surnamed HADDOCK [yes, Ruth was born AFTER Alfred HADDOCK married Hannah BOND/Ann GOULDING.
Here they are in 1901 CENSUS:

Lower Lane, Astley  page 11 folio 112  Fiche RG13/3591  3 -  63

Thomas Collier  Head    Marr   age 39  Coal miner                               born Astley
Martha Collier    Wife     Marr   age 38                                                     born Cheshire, Runcorn
Eve Haddock      Step-Dr   Single   age 18      Ring frame doffer-cotton mill     born Astley
Mary Haddock   Step-Dr   Single   age 14      Frame tenter.Card------              born Atherton
Ruth Haddock    Step-Dr               age 13       Ring frame doffer-cotton mill      born Atherton
John Collier        Son                      age 10                                                       born Astley
Thomas Collier  Son                       age 8                                                          born Astley
Annie Collier     Dr                         age 6                                                          born Atherton
Fred Collier       Son                       age 5       
Betsy Collier    Dr                         age 2                                                           born Astley
George Dickenson  Boarder  Widwr  age 40    Coal miner (hewer)                    born Cheshire. Winsford  (This George is Martha's brother)
It looks as though from the message from Rambler, that Pass and Ann GOULDEN were the children of Ann CARTER & Henry GOULDING  and that she died young.

Dallas
Cheshire, Eng: HADDOCK, WORRALL, GOULDING, DICKINSON, DIMELOW

Lancashire, Eng:  LITTLER, FARRIMOND, BILSBURY, DICKENSON, DICKINSON, THOMASON

Lanarkshire, Scotland: AIRTH, GARDNER, JAMIESON, PARK, URIE, SMELLIE, TITCHBORNE

Midlothian Scotland:  AIRTH, EDMOND, GILCHRIST

Perthshire Scotland: FISHER, McLAREN, STEWART, McGREGOR

Renfrewshire, Scotland: HAMILTON, McKECHNIE, McKECHANY + variations

Offline AncestryFinder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 May 08 16:37 BST (UK) »
Rambler,

Yes, this marriage looks like the 'winner' :o)

Now, the only problem or question left is why Ann GOULDING was married to Alfred HADDOCK as Hannah BOND?

Why was Pass HADDOCK also registered as Pass GOULDING when his parents were married a few years before his birth?

I am no longer frazzled and I always find that more questions usually lead to solving the puzzle more completely :o)

Dallas

Lanarkshire, Scotland: AIRTH, GARDNER, JAMIESON, PARK, URIE, SMELLIE, TITCHBORNE

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 May 08 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

Deeper and deeper into the mire....

I have access to "Divorces & Matrimonial Causes 1858 - 1903" and there is no mention of an Alfred and/or Martha Haddock.

Another interesting (and confusing) thing is that there is the birth registration in Northwich in 1861 for an Alfred Haddock and another registration for an Alfred Haddock in Runcorn in 1863. I would think that these are two different people.

From the newspaper item in 1887 the age of the Alfred who was imprisoned is given as 24. Could we (meaning us and whoever else has provided you with the other information that you have) possibly be mixing up two different Alfred Haddocks somewhere along the line ?  Only one of them seems to appear on the censuses...the one from Barnton (Northwich).

Maybe the other one was on his (unmoored) boat each night of the census...when he was not in prison ;D....or he had died before 1890 thus allowing Martha to remarry to Mr Collier (without herself having to go to prison for the same offence).

Have you actually got a photograph of Ann’s tombstone saying her maiden name was Bond ? That seems to me to be the only thing which rules out the possible scenario that it was the other Alfred who was married to Martha and Hannah, whilst the Alfred from Barnton (son of Thomas and Ann) lived with Ann Goulden (but maybe never married her) and he died in 1919.

DS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AncestryFinder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 May 08 16:54 BST (UK) »
DS -

To begin with I found it hard to believe that Alfred HAYDOCK who married Hannah BOND could do so legally in a church when still married to Martha DICKINSON.

But, alas, it seems that by using HAYDOCK as his surname, he had no difficulty until someone at his 1st home found out and that gave way to his monumental imprisonment of 1 month!

Here's how I know it's the same Alfred -- I have his and Martha's marriage cert ~

Marriage Certificate / Registration District
(No 428) Marriage Solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of Tyldesley in the county of Lancaster.

Alfred HADDOCK, age 20, bachelor, boatman, living in Tyldesley, father=Thomas HADDOCK, boatdriver.
Martha DICKENSON, age 18, spinster, throstle spinner, living in Tyldesley, father=Jonathan DICKENSON, deceased.

Married according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church by BANNS.

Both Alfred and Martha made their mark X which was witnessed by John Hodges (signed) and Ann Beadshaw who made her mark.

Perhaps Martha went ahead and did the same thing when she married Thomas COLLIER and because her 1st husband was already married and no penalty other than 1 measly month in prison, there was no one to really be concerned about it all ????

Dallas

Offline AncestryFinder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 May 08 16:57 BST (UK) »
DS --

Here's the info I was given a few days ago by a fellow doing genealogy research for the village of Lostock Gralam.

BURIALS at St John the Evangelist Lostock Gralam

Alfred   HADDOCK   11 School Lane   Feb 25 (28) 1919   March 1 1919   58 (57)   Husband of Hannah (Ann) HADDOCK nee BOND   
Ann   HADDOCK       January 5 1949      79   nee BOND Widow of Alfred HADDOCK    B 81   
He also sent me this HADDOCK marriage at St John but I have not been successful at all in placing either Mary Elizabeth or her father Thomas :o(

Marriage at St John the Evangelist Lostock Gralam

11 May 1875
John Thomas Holland       Signalman   23  Bach   Urmston                John Holland   Shoemaker   
Mary Elizabeth Haddock      26  Spin   Lostock Gralam     Thomas Haddock   Flatman   

BANNS
WITNESSES   George Haddock, Lizzie Holland         

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 May 08 00:31 BST (UK) »
hiya dallas.
heres alfred [jnr]
pte 14750 alfred haddock
enlisted 1-9-1914 at northwich
cheshire regt
aged 19
occupation,labourer
address.11 school lane,lostock,northwich[father alfred]
religion,protestant
discharged from the army on 14-10-1914,physically unfit for further service,he was suffering from heart dilitation.
description.
height.5ft 8inch
eyes.brown
hair.light brown
weight.130Ibs.

mack ;D
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline AncestryFinder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 May 08 01:21 BST (UK) »
Mack,

This is just fantastic!  Thanks for posting it.  I know that Alfred & wife Olive BOWYER had at least 1 daughter, Lilian born 1917 in Northwich.

Alfred HADDOCK Jr died Feb 8th 1970 in Northwich and someday I hope to get his obituary :o)

dalj

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 May 08 21:57 BST (UK) »
glad to help dalj

mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline AncestryFinder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 May 08 23:58 BST (UK) »
Are any of you able to find either a Birth, Marriage or Death for a Mary E HADDOCK born abt 1887 in Lostock Gralam, d/o Alfred & Ann according to the 1891 Census, the very 1st and last time I can find a trace of her??

Thanks!
dalj