Author Topic: looking for Mossview house or cottage in Newmains  (Read 3766 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: looking for Mossview house or cottage in Newmains
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 September 14 13:06 BST (UK) »
Valuation Rolls would give you the addresses adjacent to it

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 September 14 13:30 BST (UK) »
1871 census has him at Moss view Cottage. 1881 and 1891 at Moss view House. The family had considerably expanded so I suppose it is possible you are looking at two different properties.

He may have built a bigger house as family and his finances grew.
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline hmillar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 September 14 20:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks deebel and sancti
The valuation rolls only give the name of Mossview on Manse street  There is no  house number when a name is given.  Looking at the valuation rolls for different years there is no pattern in the order in which properties appear on Manse Street.  For instance in 1895 Next to Mossview on the roll is the Newmains and Cambusnethan Co-operative Society shops and committee rooms,  in 1920 Mossview  is next to Dundly House.

So I think identifying the actual house, if it still stands, will be near to impossible.
But a visit to Manse St Newmains woud be fascinating and is on my bucket list.

Offline Chesapek

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 September 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
Manse Road in Newmains is now the main shopping area but going through it today it looks like some of the shops used to be cottages so it may be one of them. Main Street is still there but there is not really anything that looks like a cottage from way back I could send you a picture of Manse Road and Main Street if you like

Rm

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 September 14 23:23 BST (UK) »
Ok I will postulate that Moss View Cottage was the property at the corner of Manse Rd and School Rd. My reasons are that the property is a 2 story villa but if you look closely it was originally a cottage with (accessed from School Road) a separate outbuilding for stabling a doctors necessary pony and trap. Furthermore at the end of the outbuilding there is a people doorway accessible from the street which may have been a surgery. At the time of construction the cottage must have had a view over the moss towards West Crindledyke hence the name. Assuming the above to be correct then I think the family outgrew and a new house was built facing the original and called MossView House. The red sandstone structure would have been large enough to accommodate his household of 13 inc 3 servants and I note a side gate and doorway like a custom built surgery was included. The current Coltness church would not have existed when the doctor was in practice originally. The original church is on the left of School Road past the Newmains Primary and is currently a nursery as far as I can see (originally a combined church and schoolhouse building) The manse I think was the building used as church halls behind the busstop before it was demolished and housing constructed. If I am correct, and others living in the area can blow it out of the water, then the house(s) still exist and Manse Road probably stopped at that point.
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline hmillar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 September 14 01:22 BST (UK) »
Wow! deebel, what a thoughtful analysis.  I can see this house on Google street view exactly as you describe.  The Crindledyke reference is interesting, in the 1895 valuaiton rolls the listing before Mossview is for 2 houses on Stirling Road, Crindledyke.
The house was up for sale recently
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/73-manse-road/newmains/wishaw/ml2-9bl/26459879
so it interesting to see the interior

It is exactly he kind of house I was expecting and you explanation of the additions as the Doctors family and practice grew makes sense.

Many many thanks

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 September 14 11:23 BST (UK) »
The house is considerably bigger than it looks so I am thinking there only ever was the cottage which was altered and expanded to become Mossview House. It was built after the OS map of 1862. It needs local scrutiny to see see if there is evidence of the name - could be painted in gilt on the fanlght above the front door for instance. Must say I am pretty convinced it is the house you seek and is intact.

Glad to have helped.

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 20:16 BST (UK) »
I can possibly add a little to the story.

There was / still is a large sandstone house on Manse Road that at one time was the doctor's surgery.
He was Doctor Little (a gentleman) who was very tall and slim and wore round spectacles, he was my doctor.  I don't if it was after he died or retired the doctor's practice moved to school road, I can remeber vivdly entering the door like into a living room and rows of benched for the patients.  I looked at the sandstone building just at the weekend prior to reading this post, just to see if it still has "surgery" on the glass above the door.

Regards,

Ally

Offline hmillar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 20:35 BST (UK) »
Dear Ally,  How very interesting!  Dr Little is listed in the valuation rolls as the owner in the years after my ancestor, Dr John Millar died.  Thank you.