Author Topic: McIvor - Ardboe area 1817 onwards  (Read 16492 times)

Offline johndevlin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McIvor - Ardboe area 1817 onwards
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 April 12 10:19 BST (UK) »
Look at 'Ardboe Gallery' on Facebook for more info.
Still McIvors in Ardboe..... McKeever probably a variation in spelling as is McKiver

Offline mcferran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 April 12 23:52 BST (UK) »
hi  dette  i am from ardboe, jerimah is my family also, i have our family tree, lots of this clan in queensland.  like to hear from you, oli

Offline Dette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 April 12 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Oli,  I am part of the clan in Queensland.  If you would like to PM me, we can swap info.  Dette
Yorkshire - Auton, Thompson, Beckwith, Ingleby.
Buckinghamshire - Garner, Holland, Southam,.
Ireland - McIvor, McIver, Ryan, Dwan, Lenihan/Lenehan, Wallace.
India - Glenday.
France - La Bruniy
Australia - all of the above

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 April 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
New members usually need 3 posts to use PM (Personal Message) system so Oli will need to make a few more posts here.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mcferran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 April 12 21:54 BST (UK) »
hi dette iwill get my daughter to help me, i am new to this,  oli

Offline mcferran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 22:46 BST (UK) »
hello dette,looking foward to hearing from you re familytree oli

Offline Pat Grimes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 June 12 01:44 BST (UK) »
Dette, I've been reading your posts and I believe you may find the following information useful. I have the original Ardboe parish registers (which begin October 1827) and I also have all the entries on worksheets so that I can easily group familes together etc.

There is no entry for a marriage of Jeremiah McIvor and Anne McSloy but the following births are in the register:
27 September 1832 - Mary McIver of Jeremiagh and Anne McSloy. Barracks (last is the address: it's a part of the townland of Drumaney. It's not a barracks, it's the Irish word barach meaning a wooded hill top) 

4 March 1836 - John of Jeremia McIver and Anna McSloy. Barracks

There are no more baptismal entries for this family.

There is a marriage in Ardboe parish on 25 May 1849 for Jeremia McIver and Sara McIver

Baptisms:
15 March 1850 - Nancy Ann of (no forename, simply a line) ------ McIver and Sarah McIver. Mullaghwhitra (the townland immediately adjacent to Drumaney/Barracks)
16 December 1852 - Joseph of Jeremiah McIver and Sara McIver. Barracks
2 November 1854 - Mary of Jeremiah McEver and Sarah McEver
5 September 1856 - Patrick of Jeremy McEver and Sarah Do. (Do. meaning ditto, that is, McEver)

Offline Dette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 June 12 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat
Thanks for this info.  I had looked at the microfilm of the parish records some years ago and gleaned some of this info from them.  I had thought that Barracks meant that Jeremiah was the local policeman but couldn't verify that so now that I now it was a townland instead, this clears that misconception up. 

I still have cousins in the area that are descended from Patrick (I am a great granddaughter of Joseph).  They are mostly named Quinn but there are still a few McIvors around.  Someday I will get back to the area - I was there is 1991 and 1995.

Could the McIvors (that's how we spell it today) and the McSloys have come from somewhere else nearby?  Also I am still trying to locate info on Sara married to Jeremiah and mother to four children.  I have no idea where she was born or where she died.  She may have died in 1869 as Patrick is the informant on the deaths of the two girls (Nancy Ann and Mary).  I also had a date of baptism of 1817 for Jeremiah from the film.  Can you verify this?

Thanks again for the info.  Hope to hear from you soon.

Dette
Yorkshire - Auton, Thompson, Beckwith, Ingleby.
Buckinghamshire - Garner, Holland, Southam,.
Ireland - McIvor, McIver, Ryan, Dwan, Lenihan/Lenehan, Wallace.
India - Glenday.
France - La Bruniy
Australia - all of the above

Offline Pat Grimes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 June 12 03:01 BST (UK) »
Below is the inscription from the headstone of Jeremiah and Isabella McIvor family in Mullinahoe graveyard, Ardboe. Although I had photographed and transcribed all the headstones in this graveyard several years ago, I went back today and re-checked this one because Jeremiah's apparent age gives him a year of birth approximately 1837. I re-photographed the inscription just to be doubly certain - it has been cleaned since I first photographed it.

My assumption would be that this Jeremiah (d.1900) was a son of Jeremiah McIvor and Anne McSloy, was a brother of Mary (b.1832) and of John (b.1836). I wouldn’t be overly concerned by the fact that there is no entry in the baptismal records: this is a not uncommon occurrence, for instance my own great grandfather was baptised in Ardboe in 1839 but he does not appear in the register. I know from perusing the registers that they were only written up every few months, and inevitably some slips of paper with baptismal details on them had been lost before the official entry could be made. 

It is feasible that the Jeremiah who married Anne McSloy was also the Jeremiah who married Sarah McIvor in 1849.

Pray for the souls of Jeremiah McIvor, Ballymurphy, died 6th May 1900 aged 63. His wife, Isabella died 7th April 1910 aged 67. His daughter Annie died 8th March 1909 aged 23. And his sons, James died 27th April 1933, aged 54. Jeremiah, died in U.S.A., April 1945. His daughter in law Mary McIvor died 1st Oct. 1956, aged 57. And her husband John McIvor died 5th Feb. 1983 aged 97. Hugh died in Glasgow April 1965 aged 76. R.I.P. McIvor

Perhaps you will let me know what you think as regards this.