Author Topic: David Rees Westbury Hill, Rosemarket  (Read 10025 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
David Rees Westbury Hill, Rosemarket
« on: Monday 16 March 09 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Background:
Researching David Rees of Merlin's Hill, late of Green Hill, Haverfordwest d. 1837, and more specifically, the name(s) of Ann (s), his second and /or third partners/wives.

However, I have decided to take a different angle, by looking for descendants of a possible brother John Rees, a farmer.

A possible starting point:
John and Ann Rees lived at Westbury Hill, near Rosemarket from 1796.
A son David b. c1796 and wife Ester had:
David Rees bap. 20/4/1821 Rosemarket
Esther Rees bap. 15/8/1825 Rosemarket
William Rees bap. 18/4/1826 Rosemarket
and possibly: John Rees b. 8/7/1832 Rosemarket

1841 Census: Westbury Hill
David Rees 55 farmer; Esther 50; Esther 15; William 13.

Two of my ancestor John Rees' chn: Samuel Tomkins Rees b. 1826 and Frederic b. 1829, were born at Westbury Hill.

Now to my request for help:
Could someone help me with the 1851 Census of Westbury Hill or the David Rees, now 66; Esther 60; William 23; David 30 or John Rees 18 ?

PS I have posted a big thank you to RootsChat people for your assistance with this family and a new contact, via Somerset> Frome> Rees

Keith Rees Aus
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
Re: David Rees Westbury Hill, Rosemarket
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 March 09 07:54 GMT (UK) »
David Rees (68) living with Hester Rees (24) victualler listed as head of the house, Hester Rees (62) and Margerat Young (23) servant.  All are born in Rosemarket.

HO 107/2476 p11
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 March 09 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Sallysmum for the 1851 search of this Westbury Hill Rees family.

Now to figure out the connection which I have not doubt.

I also notice that you have listed Rees Davies Pembroke on your sheet:
a) how do I list families like you have?
b) do you have a connection with a William Davies living at Green Hill in 1837?

Keith Aus
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 March 09 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith
If you click on your profile, then modify profile.  Click next on Rootschat profile information.  If you scroll down this page you then find a box labelled Research names/areas.  You may then enter your details and they will appear at the end of any messages left.

I don't think I have a connection to William Davies c1837.  My Davies of that time is Mary Davies b 1827.  She was born in Tenby to Henry Davies and Margaret Hughes.  They also had 2 other children Sarah and Dorothea.  Henry was a labourer.  I am having trouble locating both Henry and Margaret so I don't have much more information about them.  Margaret I believe was from Llanycevan and I suspect Henry may have come from Dorset - it's all a bit vague and difficult to tie in. 

Good luck with your research

Wendy AKA sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 March 09 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I think I have got it right.

I will keep an eye out for Margaret Hughes.
Keith

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 April 12 11:52 BST (UK) »
The David Rees of Westbury Hill farm, later Rosemarket, research continues with the addition of further help from volunteers. David Rees was born c1781 Freystrop as per a later Census. He died in Rosemarket 14 Apr 1865 as per the grave headstone and 15 Apr 1865 as per his probate.

Research is now centred to Freystrop, as it his highly likely that his father John Rees (bp 8 Nov 1753 Freystrop) and mother Ann ........... also occupied Westbury Hill.
Some other possible facts about Westbury Hill are:
1796 Owned by Miss Owen; John Rees tenant
1810 Owned by Robert Robertson; John Rees tenant
1825 Hugh Bowen; Ann Rees tenant
1830- 1840's Westbury Hill - David Rees

The grand parents of David Rees of Westbury Hill, will be David Rees and Joan George who had at least 8 children all baptised in Freystrop between 1751 to 1770.

Seeking help for Freystrop lookups for the children of John Rees (1753 - c1824) and Ann .........
1. David Rees bp 1781 Freystrop
2. George Rees bp.                         d. 1810 Officer aboard "Warsprite" REM 10.0803 to father John Rees of Westbury, Rosemarket
3. John Rees bp. c1786      d. 1832  Loo Choo Buried 8 Jun 1832 St. Martins (46 years old)
4. Richard Rees
5. Elizabeth Rees
6. Maybe Joan after his mother Joan George
7. Martha Rees
8. Others

Regards,

Keith

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 April 12 08:36 BST (UK) »
his father John Rees (bp 8 Nov 1753 Freystrop) and mother Ann ........... also occupied Westbury Hill.

How about John Rees mrd to Anne Thomas at Burton 1774.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 April 12 08:55 BST (UK) »
From my database of Burgess of Pembroke Borough 1678 to 2008
Richard Lilwell Farmer of Westfield Rosemarket made burgess 13 Nov 1809 Admin Bk 10 page 89 Minute Bk page 290
John Rees Farmer of Westfield Rosemarket made burgess 12 Jan 1795 Admin Bk 5 Page 39 Minute Bk page 143
John Davies Farmer of Westfields Rosemarket made burgess 11 Nov 1811 Admin bk 15 Page 65 Minute Bk 380
(Lilwell is the modern Lilwall, and Rosalie Lilwall descendent and researcher of the Lilwell/Lilwall name is a County Councillor and Ruler of Dyfed FHS)

I note you have searched L.T.A.’s from 1796, since this series of documents with locations owners and occupiers normally dates back to circa 1783 what names are shown previous to Westfields, or is 1796 the earliest known?

Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 April 12 09:09 BST (UK) »
Two of my ancestor John Rees' chn: Samuel Tomkins Rees b. 1826 and Frederic b. 1829, were born at Westbury Hill.

Thought you may be interested in an anomially in your research.
There is no Samuel Tomkins Rees baptised in or around the area of Rosemarkert in circa 1826, there is a Samuel Jenkins Rees baptised at Rosemarket in 1826.
There is no Frederic Rees baptised in or around the area of Rosemarket in circa 1829, there is a Frederic Rees baptised at Llanstadwell in 1830.
If you wish me to confirm the parents of these 2, I am more than willing to do so. That is of course the family are not N-C.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015