Author Topic: Bath HOOPER Elizabeth  (Read 6972 times)

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
Re: Bath HOOPER Elizabeth
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 May 14 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

hopefully they bring more parishes on line soon and make it a bit easier to find what we are looking for.
Are you researching the Hoopers from St. Catherine's?

Regards Peonie

Offline elliebean16

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 May 14 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Peonie

Thanks for your reply.  I've just booked a visit to Bath archives in a couple of week's time so hopefully, I will be able to solve when John & Anne Marshman were married and if we are looking at two marriages. Is there anything else on this line you would like to know because I can try to have a look whilst there.  I appreciate this game isn't easy if you're not local!

Regards   

Offline elliebean16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 May 14 21:28 BST (UK) »
Dear All

I think I may have got to the bottom of the Hooper/Marshman marriage mystery.  According to Bath parish registers, Anne Marshman was baptised Mary Anne Marshman 04.11.1811 at St Swithin's Walcot.  She married John Hooper at St Swithin's 05.07.1830 but her name is recorded as Mary Anne Ashmore (for whom there is no baptism record).  The couple went on to have several children where she is named Anne or Ann.  She died aged 50 on 06.09.1860 in Milk Street, Bath and is buried at Weston All Saints, Bath. 

There are no other births, marriages or deaths that fit this line and whilst the name alters, all other circumstances such as date, occupations addresses, etc fit in with later census records. 

John Hooper, (born 25.04.1809 in Charlecombe just on the outskirts of Bath but baptised in St Swithin's) of Milk Street died 08.06.1856, and is buried at St Swithin's.  His parents appear to be James Hooper, born 1773, and Anne Whitfield, married in St James's in 1803.   James's parents are Nicholas Hooper and Mary Kingston married 1766, again in St Swithin's. Nicholas's parents are another Nicholas and Mary, no details found as yet.

Check out some of the details at www.freereg.org.uk 

Cheers all

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 May 14 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellie

That all looks very plausible. Did you look at the microfiche for the wedding or just the transcripts? Perhaps the name in the original is more like Marshman. (The FreeREG file for that period was copied from the RO's transcript so that's no help.)

I see that in the 1851 census Richard Hooper is with a Benjamin Mashman and described as his cousin. Further confirmation of the Marshman connection . Although Benjamin seems to have been baptised in 1814 to the same parents as Mary Ann, which would make Richard his nephew.

Did you find John and Elizabeth's baptisms? The Holy Trinity register is being transcribed for FreeREG at the moment. We haven't got to 1850 yet but looking ahead I see

12 Aug 1850  John, John and Anne Hooper, 34 Milk Street, Labourer
29 Oct 1852 Elizabeth, John and Ann Hooper, 34 Milk Street, Coal Porter

David

Offline elliebean16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 June 14 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi David

I looked at both microfiche and photocopies for all the info and the wedding does appear to say Ashmore, though it could also say Ashman.  However, I have seen so many derivations of this lady's name (Marsham, Marshman, Mathman, Mauhman) and with the lack of any births in Bath for ladies of any of these names, I'm 99% sure this is right.  Unfortunately there isn't a family member listed as a witness which could give us more clues so the later census records that say Ann Hooper was born in Bath is all we seem to have.

I also followed the Marshman link in the 1851 census and confirmed that Benjamin Marshman is in fact Mary Ann Hooper's brother and he married a Mary Ann Ogden and so Richard is a nephew as you rightly point out. They lived in Avon Street which is the next street over from both New Quay and Milk Street where the Hoopers were at different times. The fact that everyone either seems to have the same name or goes by a slightly different one in later years does not help!

For example, the child Maria Hooper, born 1841 was actually baptised Ann and Mary Ann born in 1834 is later called Ann so the names shown on the later census records can be a little misleading at times.

It also doesn't help that there are so many Hoopers in the area and they all seem to be coming down from the same lines which I'm in the process of plotting out to confirm I'm on the right track.

Unfortunately, I ran out of time to look for the baptism of John & Elizabeth but wasn't as concerned with them as they are registered on the Bath Registry of Births.

Hope this makes sense!

Regards

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 June 14 17:14 BST (UK) »

For example, the child Maria Hooper, born 1841 was actually baptised Ann and Mary Ann born in 1834 is later called Ann so the names shown on the later census records can be a little misleading at times.

I assumed she was the Maria baptised in Nov 1840, parents John and Ann Hooper living at Ainslie's Buildings. A bit away from their usual area but people did move often in those days. I know your John and Ann's Maria is described as 6 months in the 1841 census (June) but ages were often approximate. And there's no sign of another John and Ann with a Maria in that census.

David

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 22:33 BST (UK) »

Hi elliebean,

thanks for all the extra work you have done at the archives. I have been away from home for a while so have to get my files out - eventually I will get it all on the computer.

Regards Peonie