Author Topic: Bedminster Cemeteries  (Read 14061 times)

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bedminster Cemeteries
« on: Thursday 08 March 12 07:24 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the burial place of Brice Webb, buried November 1884 and his wife Elizabeth who appears to have passed away between the 1871-1881 census. They appear to have spent most of their lives in the Civil Parish of Bedminster.

Have had no luck with Arnos Vale, Canford Crematorium that administers Avonview and Greenbank cemeteries. Sent a message to the Parish Office of the Diocese that looks after the annexe cemetery of St Marys Redcliffe 23 Feb but have not had a reply.  Can anyone suggest where to search next?

Brice Webb's last place of residence was Colston Almshouse and I think that he was a non conformist religion.

Any help to solve this puzzle would be appreciated. June

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bedminster Cemeteries
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 12 08:02 GMT (UK) »
On an OS map of Bedminster, a cemetery is marked at Malago Vale (right-hand edge, close to bottom) http://www1.somerset.gov.uk/archives/Maps/OS62htm/0606.htm

Arno's Vale is the obvious choice, but if they belonged to a particular church, they may have been buried there?

Bristol & Avon FHS has a list of burial sites:
http://www.bafhs.org.uk/burial-data
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 March 12 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link to the historical map. I had not realised that coal was a big industry in the area.  I cannot find any results for the Malago Vale Cemetery on a google search.

I have a copy of his death certificate however it does not indicate where he may be buried. On the top  of the certificate it advises that Death in the Sub-district of Saint Augustine. His grand-daughter Ada Thomas who registered the death lived in St Michael, Bristol.

I will keep on searching.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 March 12 10:36 GMT (UK) »
The place of death would point to a north Bristol burial, although you can never rule out Arnos Vale - I believe they had two registers for Anglicans & Noncoms - the cemetery is certainly divided - did you check both registers?

If he was a nonconformist it would also rule out anglican churchyard burials - it might be worth trying to track down which denomination we're looking for. It may be worth contacting the Bristol RO - they would also have a list of which churches had their own burial registers

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline judiboo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 01:21 BST (UK) »
"Thank you for the link to the historical map. I had not realised that coal was a big industry in the area.  I cannot find any results for the Malago Vale Cemetery on a google search.

I have a copy of his death certificate however it does not indicate where he may be buried. On the top  of the certificate it advises that Death in the Sub-district of Saint Augustine. His grand-daughter Ada Thomas who registered the death lived in St Michael, Bristol."

St Augustines  is very central to Bristol, as is St Michaels Hill. Both within walking distance of the Bristol City Centre.
HTH.

Judy ( ex Bristolian)

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 08:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Judy, I appreciate you taking the time.  It appears that the family were buried at St Johns which has been demolished and the graveyard turned into a park.

I have asked the Bristol Records office for copies of the details from the parish register.

The death certificate for Elizabeth Webb, married to Brice Webb, arrived. DOD 31/01/1873 she was apparently 76 at death.  My next search is to find the death details for Ann Webb (nee Day) who appears to have been married to an older Brice Webb. My ancestor came to New Zealand as Emily Day and her sister was married as Eliza Day. The family appear in the census records with the surname Webb, Mill Lane, Bedminster, which leads to the assumption that Elizabeth and Brice may not have been married.

Kind regards, June

Offline Peewee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi June NZ

Are you sure that St John's has been demolished and the graveyard made into a park? When I worked in Bristol centre I remember this church (St John the Baptist or St John on the wall) and had the pleasure of visiting it. The church and the graveyard still exist. Please see the following link
http://www.about-bristol.co.uk/chu-07.asp

This St John's is about 200 yards from St Augustine

I hope this helps, Peewee (another former Bristolian)
Watts  - Middx, Bethnal Green, Romford Essex
Palmer  - Nether and Over Stowey Somerset
Symons- Bishops Hull, Taunton, Bishops Lydeard all in Somerset
Coles - Somerset
Loddy - Pimlico London , Devonport
Le May - Bethnal Green, London

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 17:26 BST (UK) »
I think the St Johns in question is the old parish church of Bedminster - not the one in central Bristol

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Peewee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 18:03 BST (UK) »
thanks  steve I misunderstood. The following website has some interesting information and photos
ww.churchcrawler.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bedmjb.htm
Watts  - Middx, Bethnal Green, Romford Essex
Palmer  - Nether and Over Stowey Somerset
Symons- Bishops Hull, Taunton, Bishops Lydeard all in Somerset
Coles - Somerset
Loddy - Pimlico London , Devonport
Le May - Bethnal Green, London