Author Topic: Witherow families, Aughlish, Gallony, Belfast and elsewhere  (Read 39926 times)

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Witherow families, Aughlish, Gallony, Belfast and elsewhere
« on: Sunday 14 March 10 18:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm have been researching the Witherow surname in Ireland (Mostly in County Derry/Londonderry) for some years now, and have amassed quite a lot of information on approximately a dozen families who are all interconnected. There are also quite a few gaps that are difficult to close. I would love to hear from from any other people doing similar research so that we can help each other. As this is my first ever post on rootschat I hope I'm doing this right
Witherow, Robinson, Wray, Martin,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Witherow families, Aughlish, Gallony, Belfast and elsewhere
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 March 10 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat- you have posted in the right place.
Not researching Witherows but do have a bit of information on them.

Witherows in Cuilbane were same as Professor Witherow.

First Garvagh Presbyterian (old) burying-ground: Erected by John Witherow, of Coolbane. In loving memory of his sister Isabella, who died 10th August 1903, aged 72 years. The above John Witherow died 5th July 1905, aged 80 years.

Coleraine Chronicle, 8 July 1905: Death- WITHEROW- July 5, at Mettican, Garvagh, John Witherow, late of Culbane, Garvagh, aged 80 years.

John Witherow's nephew Joseph came to Cuilbane from Australia and is in 1911 census with wife and 2 sons.
Wife's death- Northern Constitution, 24 Feb.1917: Death- WITHEROW- At Western Infirmary, Glasgow, from shock, on the 13th inst., Annie Reid, the beloved wife of Joseph Witherow late of Cuilbane, Garvagh.

PRONI D2587/3A/10: 25 Dec.1898-4 Mar.1890 John Witherow of Coolbane, farmer, cousin of Pref. Witherow of Magee College. Nephew Joseph formerly Queensland came back to uncle's farm. Joseph's wife Annie, eldest son Alexander died young, sons George Reid and John Edward b.16 May 1898?.

St. Paul's Parish Church, Garvagh: To the memory of James Hughes depd this life 23rd Decb.1815 age 77. Anne Hughes Depd 13 Sept 1817 aged 76 of Garvagh. Mary Woodrow or H late of Coolbawnl. Depd this life 27th June 1836 aged 70 yrs. Here lieth remains of Robert Woodrow late of Coolbawn who departed this life 7th of June 1838 Aged 79 years.

There's more if you are interested.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 March 10 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    If you let us know of some of the "gaps" we may be able to fill some. I have access to information on the Aughlish Witherows.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 March 10 21:18 GMT (UK) »
 :)Many thanks Aghadowey, you have filled in a few blanks on the Cuilbane connection, I was aware of the connection of Professor Witherow, and the connection with his townland of Aughlish, and also the Joseph Witherow who returned from Queensland, Australia, didn't know Josephs wife was a Reid or that she died in Glasgow. I have read the letters online at PRONI re the brief in regard to the disputed will but haven't yet made it to Belfast to get my hands on the original documents. (I live not that far from Aughlish) and it's a bit of a trek.
I'm very interested as to the Hughes connection as the name appears in another context in the will of another branch of the Witherow tree. For your information John Witherows mother died at Coolbane
Death Notice in Londonderry Sentinel of 28th December 1864
On 17th December, at Coolban, the residence of her son, Mr John Witherow,
Mrs William Witherow formerly of Aughlish, Aged 72 years.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 March 10 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Do you want more on the Culbane family?

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 March 10 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Do you want more on the Culbane family?

Yes please, You guys are like lightning!!!!!!!

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 March 10 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    If you let us know of some of the "gaps" we may be able to fill some. I have access to information on the Aughlish Witherows.

Regards

I've got a direct line of descent from George Witherow and Isabella Gault, right through until present times.
Fairly good tree on descendants of Hugh Witherow of Aughlish including Rev. Thomas Witherows Family trying to link trees of Witherows of Kilculmagrandal and a nephew of a George Witherow (Joseph who emigrated to Millikens Bend Louisiana, USA fought on the side of the Confederacy. I'm in contact with one of his descendants living in Washington state and If I can close that gap it will certainly make her a happy woman. Anything I can do for you?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 March 10 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Ironmongers' Notes on Tenants (1863)- Cuilbane: John Witherow and A. McAlister 71 acres 3 rods 11 perches annual rent £20 18s. J. Witherow, his sister, and mother; one servant. This man partner with McAlister, keeps a grocer's shop, and appears to be well off. A good house and offices. The deputation of 1860 gave him £10 for his improvements. He and McAlister have borrowed of the Company a considerable sum (?£100). wants the mearing ditch cleared out.
Also- Cuilbane: John Witherow 19a 3r 24p (£12 8s).

1886 Ironmongers' Tenants' Lists (The Brewers' Company)- Cuilbane, Parish of Desertoghill: John Witherow 19a 3r 21p (£11), John Witherow 71a 3r 11p (£19 5s).

Coleraine Chronicle, 9 Jan.1915: a farm of land at Cuilbane belonging to Joseph Witherow containing 71a 9p was sold to Bernard McNicholl of Brockaboy for £502.10s + fees (this is just a note of article- Coleraine Library have the newspaper on microfilm).

First Garvagh Presbyterian Church- marriage: 6 Jan.1824 James Hues to Isabella Woodrow. Note: Witherow sometimes written as Woodrow.

I take it that you've obtained a copy of Prof. Witherow's autobiography? There's also a bit of information in Historical Gleanings from County Derry by Sam Martin about Prof. Witherow's background and family (p.167-169).

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 March 10 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Aghadowey, I'll try and link this new information into the various trees. Yes I have a copy of Thomas Witherow's autobiography, I'll have to try and get a copy of Historical Gleanings.
There are a lot of links with my tribe and an awful lot of Presbyterian clergy. All of the following have either added a bit to the Witherow gene pool or have had a bit of Witherow blood in their veins, they are:
Rev. James Milling curate of Battersea
Rev. James Milling Witherow
Rev Thomas Witherow, Maghera, Magee College, Moderator of the general assembly
Rev. William Witherow, Westbourne, Belfast
Rev. Thomas Hastings Witherow
Rev. William Oliver, Dunluce.
Rev. A.H. Wray, Isle of Man
and there might be another couple if I look a bit harder