Author Topic: Brickwall.  (Read 6496 times)

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 June 14 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Blemdookie,

I have baptism records for Catherine Agnes, Anthony Hugh and Felix which give the mothers name as Catherine Cushly. Some of the other names I was already given by a older family member, and the rest where from the 1901 census, where Catherine is head of the house but married....... which also included the ones I had found and the ones told to me.......

Heather

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 June 14 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Blemdookie,

got me going back all over my notes for the Maddens.....lol

The death for Catherine Madden in 1906, I have attached a copy of the death certificate that I got from GRO.  I had dismissed it because of the age discrepancy, the deceased died at 53 yrs in 1906 but according to the census records for Catherine she would have only been 47 in 1906. I know this is possible but thought it unlikely. I could be wrong and don't know how to prove or disprove this. Never found a relevant headstone. If it is her not nice to think a relative died in the workhouse of typhoid.

thanks again for your help

Heather

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 June 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I must say it probably is her. I have always said never believe any record except maybe a baptism because any others require people to be honest and also the fact that the informant on the record may not really know precisely an age or date of birth.Also,most people were not too literate so records often changed.I find especially with the Irish dates can be up to 10 years out which is a pain. To confirm an exact age for Catherine you would need to find a baptism record.As to the children of Michael and Catherine is it possible there were others and are the births registered in Lavey parish where Michael and Elizabeth/Catherine were married? Kim

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 June 14 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

yes all the baptism are in Lavey Parish....... unfortunately I never could find a birth or baptism for Catherine or even in the name of Elizabeth.

Your probably right about it being Catherine's death but don't like to make assumptions just in case but I know sometimes you just have to. It would make sense as to why all the children then went into service by the 1911 census.............

Following up on the Michael Madden death details you found, thought I had looked into it and found a wills index that was for this death which gave details that made me reject it....but have so many notes that I've looked into for these am still going back thru them all.......

Thanks

Heather

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 June 14 18:31 BST (UK) »
Michael Madden
died:8 Aug 1927
district registered:Magherafelt
subdistrict:Bellaghy
D/1927/179/1022/23/26

Well Blemdookie......

what do you know just ordered this death certificate and the informant was an Ellen McGregor......and guess what my Michael Madden daughters Ellen married name was........... amazing what a fresh pair of eyes can do to a major brick wall......

So a really big thank you.

Now just got to try and figure out what happened to him prior to the 1901 census and since until his death.......

Then I can move on to the next brickwall.....lol

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 June 14 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,so glad it turned out to be the Michael you were looking for. Believe me I know what its like to have brickwalls.At the moment I have several,one of which is in co Derry. It can drive you mad!If I come across anything else,I'll let you know.Please call me Kim. Kim

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 June 14 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kim.......

Well if you want to share your brick wall happy to help if I can

Heather

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 June 14 22:50 BST (UK) »
Heather it is most kind of you to offer.Maybe you will see something I cannot.

William Gilmore/Gilmour  born @ 1800 
married Ellen  ?  (it may have been McLaughlin/McGlaughlin but I don't know as I saw it as McGhatton on another record and cannot find deaths of other kids)
William died between 1830 1850                       

The woman I believe to be his wife Ellen (Helen in Scotland) appears in the 1851 Scotland census in Saltmarket Sq Glasgow with her children John,Charles,Robert,Mary and Thomas. If it is her she dies in co Ayr in 1872 in what I believe was a poor house.

The other family I seek is that of Charles Henry born about 1800
married Elizabeth Smyth
Charles dies 1881 and Elizabeth died in1898.
I have found some children,there may be others;John died 1917,Charles died 1903,Elizabeth died 1916,Mary McKee died 1915,Rosanna died 1896(may have been illegitimate daughter of father).

Both the Gilmores and Henrys seem to be about the Magherafelt district,Tamlacht O'Crilley are.

The reason I am after both is that Rosanna Henry and John Gilmore(with his family) moved to Glasgow I'm assuming for work. They went back to county Derry just to get married on 8 August 1853 in Greenlough R.C. church within Tamlacht O'Crilley. On the marriage cert the priest has written in 3rd and 3rd consang. meaning they are 2nd cousins. They return to Glasgow where they have their family and rear them.Rosanna died May 1896 and John died April 1908.

If you can see or find anything I haven't that would be fantastic. Kim

PS forgot to ask you-do you thing that John Madden could be Michael's father?

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 June 14 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim,

I'll have a good look and see what I can find......... might not get much chance to have a good look until tomorrow, Saturdays are usually kids taxi days....lol

According to Michael Maddens marriage certificate his fathers name was John, that's all I know, so that will be my next challenge

Heather