Author Topic: Riach & Younie families, Moray and beyond  (Read 42734 times)

Offline andyyounie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Riach & Younie families, Moray and beyond
« Reply #36 on: Monday 26 July 10 21:13 BST (UK) »
To alastairgm

Regarding your presumption that for Margaret McDonald (born Rafford 1817) + George Younie (born Rafford 1815)

'I checked all the Censuses from 1861 thru' 1881 and no children are shown on any of them, so I don't expect to hear from descendants!'

From the Land Sasines

14 Jan 1857 - George Younie residing at Charlestown Aberlour leased No. 55 on Plan of Barony of Charlestown Aberlour.  Being part of lands of Allochy par Aberlour or Skeirdistown on Feuch by James Grant of Wester Elchies

23 Aug 1890 - George Younie - Farmer Tomlea Knockando gets No. 55 back again

6 Apr 1898 - George Younie transfers No. 55 to his son when he dies - his son is George Younie - Custom's Officer Cambus Stirling

As you know he never mentioned his son in his will

It may not be the same George although the dates seem to tie up

Andy

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,
As far as I know the George Younie, Customs Officer, who had the Aberlour property after George Younie, Widower of Margaret McDonald, died was the son of his brother William Younie and Sophia Hay Allerdyce, born in Knockando 24th Dec. 1860. He is NM203766 in the LIBINDX system. He is therefore George snr's nephew rather than his son. As I said, I can find no evidence of any children for George and Margaret McDonald.
Thanks for the contact. Alastair MacDonald
Moray - (In Rafford) MacDonald, Laing, Younie.
Orkney - (In Evie.) Robertson, Sinclair, Laird.
Herefordshire - Fox, Graty.
Gloucestershire - Price, Spackman, Bourne, Tugman,   Burroughs, Brassington.
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline AussieGal2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 23:41 GMT (UK) »
i have an Ann Riach who would be my great great grandmother who married william anderson. Ann was born in 1844 and her parents were William Riach and Janet Gordon

Are these Riachs part of your family

they originate from Dallas in Moray

I have a Grizel (Grace) Riach who married a Simon Fraser on 20 June 1789 in Drainie, Moray, Scotland. I am trying to track down more of the Riach line as my grandmother died and she does not have much information on that part of our family. It appears that her father was Alexander Riach but unsure who the mother is. There is another Riach in our line - Beatrix who married Patrick Thomson on 23 June 1795 in Rothes, Moray, Scotland. They had 5 children??
Would be most grateful if you have any information that might link these people to your Riach line. Thanks Amanda

Offline vanman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 18:40 BST (UK) »
I was in Rafford old chuchyard two weeks ago, looking for any references to my Collie ancestry and saw the John Younie and Anne Collie headstone (still standing !!). I am still trying to make the connection to Anne Collie in my family tree, but getting there slowly.

For those of you that are interested, the parents of Anne Collie were GEORGE COLLIE and CATHERINE BREMNER, (various spellings of her name) There are quite a few siblings spread over a long time frame.

Also if you are looking for John Younie in any of SctotlandsPeople or Family Search (IGI) it has been mis transcribed as YOUNG.

Regards
Vanman
Clifford, Ireland. Kerry. Tralee, Cork

Offline calum mac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 04 September 11 00:49 BST (UK) »
I noticed your post about James Younie whose 2nd wife was Lily(lillias) Mackenzie who was my great grand aunt, she was born in second coast in the parish of Gairloch  I think they had at least 7 children .I have quite a detailed family tree for her if you would like more information. regards calunm mac

Offline DUNMAC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 25 October 13 02:00 BST (UK) »
Do you have any ties with the Younie family from Rafford in Moray? Particularly a John Younie born 1818 who married Ellen Mavor and came to Canada in 1858?

Hi Jeff,
          These are linked to my wife's Younies in Rafford which connect to you.
                                                                                  Regards,
                                                                                      Duncan.
McDonald: Patterson: Hart: Josey: Provan: Meldrum: Murphy: McIntyre: McEachern:McColl: Cupples: Burt: McCormack: Steele: Laird: Hardie: Robertson: Easton: Sneddon: Skinner: Stark: Shaw: Sanders: Chapman, Gordon, Grant, Littlejohn,  McLeod, McHattie: Younie: Ironside: Spalding, Smith: Mathieson: Ower:
Koens.

Morvern, Argyll: Glasgow, Lanarkshire: Falkirk, & Grangemouth, Kippen, Kilsyth: Stirlingshire: Dumfries & Borders, Scotland & England:
Aberdeenshire: Morayshire: Ireland: Netherlands.