Author Topic: 1906 Marriage  (Read 10181 times)

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1906 Marriage
« on: Thursday 25 April 13 16:19 BST (UK) »
You will have to excuse me if this post comes up twice not too sure if I did the last one correct.
So here goes I have changed counties now ??? found my grand father Charles Power born Thomas St Wexford, now have his parents marriage:- Stephen Power labourer marries Catherine Kelly dealer 1906 Kilaveney RC Church Shillelaugh Wicklow. Do I assume that Catherine was living in the area for them to get married there, as on the certificate it show no fixed address at time of marriage. Also it states full age so would that be 21yrs?
I am unsure how to move this search along now. Does anyone know the contact details for this church where the marriage took place. Thank You
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1906 Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 April 13 18:12 BST (UK) »
One of the parties to the marriage was supposed to be resident in the parish before they could marry there. Traditionally you married in the bride’s church but obviously that wasn’t always the case.

Full age is 21 and over.

You’ll get more information on the couple from the civil certificate than you will from the church records which often just have the couple names and their 2 witnesses. The couple’s marriage was registered in Shillelagh Apr – Jun 1906, Vol 2, page 859. With that information you can easily order  a photocopy of the civil certificate from GRO Roscommon for €4.
Elwyn

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 April 13 19:05 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 April 13 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there Elwyn, Thanks for your reply. I have got the hard copy from Roscommon it gives names of father's etc, but only stated full age and no fixed address. I have tried to find the exact location of this church Kilaveney but so far without success. I got it into my head that when they had their children they may have taken them to the church where they had married to be baptised. Of course l could be wide of the make here.  :-\
But if anyone else knows the full address for Roman Catholic Church of Kilaveney I would appreciate this knowlege.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 11:19 BST (UK) »
Killaveney is in the Diocese of Ferns in the south of Wicklow on the border with Wexford

Details for contacts at the parish can be found on page 14 of this LINK

The area is shown on the 1901 census as Killaveny

The parish records as KILLAVENEY (ANNACURRAGH) are on the paid site www.rootsireland.ie from 1800 to 1900 only

Are you hoping to find further children born to Catherine KELLY and Stephen POWER or more about their ancestors?
If it is the ancestors knowing Catherine and Stephen's fathers' names will help us look!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hello there myluck,
Many thanks for your message. I am looking for both children and ancestors of Catherine Kelly and Stephen Power.
Their father's names are Charles Kelly and Michael Power.
My grandfather Charles Power born 1908 I have since found out from Wexford Parish that he was baptised at Bride St Church.
I had asssumed that Catherine and Stephen may have had a child before my grandfather, but nothing is for sure. 

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hi myluck,

the other thread has some census info for possibilities which may lead somewhere  :)

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 14:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks heywood I had a look at all the links for clues

There are several possibilities for the birth of Catherine KELLY and Stephen POWER in the correct time frame for marrying in 1906; i.e. born between 1876 (age 30) and 1888 (age 18).

There are several you can rule out immediately as they also have either a baptism record that shows the parent's names or a corresponding death; you can also rule out some by going through the census records to find matches.

You will see that there are far more Catherine KELLY's than Stephen POWER's!
It looks like a big job to go through them all.

If the family moved around quite a bit, there may be no records to help confirm relationships for people. I know that you have the 1906 marriage certificate for Catherine KELLY and Stephen POWER, the church records at that date will not be online but may hold additional information especially if the couple were not resident in the parish. The priest may have added a note to the register about their origins or family.

There are some other ways of locating people e.g. the workhouse or prison records but sometimes you have to work from initials which does not help confirm information

There are a few prison records for a Stephen Power and a Charles Kelly in Wexford but unfortunately they do not show a next of kin; you would have to go through each on its merit and try and rule it out or in with other information.

There are a few Stephen Powers on the 1901 census living with widowed mothers, two are in Waterford, that may be your Stephen but again without prooving the father was not just Michael but the correct Michael you'll be back to square one.

Best of luck in the search
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 June 13 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hello myluck, Sorry for late reply just read your message. Thanks for all your thoughts on how I can trace Catherine Kelly and Stephen Power. I contacted the church at Kilaveney but so far I havent had a reply this was a copule of weeks ago so I may try again.
Oh how I wish I was looking for unsual names rather than very more common ones, such is life.
Catherine is  refered to as a Dealer on the marriage certificate and her father Charles Kelly is a Tinsmith so I am thinking they may have been travellers. When I visted Wexford some time ago I was told Power was not a traveller name but all points to this theory.