Author Topic: John Sollis, Stratton (Cirencester) Miller  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John Sollis, Stratton (Cirencester) Miller
« on: Friday 19 September 14 23:38 BST (UK) »
Does anyone on here know much about Stratton Mill at Stratton north of Cirencester?

My 3 x Great Grandfather John Sollis is recorded as being Miller there on both the 1851 and 1861 census. I thought it would be a small affair by the river, and was stunned when it is so big!

The mill has been renovated recently, and is now living accommodation and some of it is holiday lets.

A lovely spot though.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Sollis, Stratton (Cirencester) Miller
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 September 14 05:17 BST (UK) »
In the first place, Cirencester, and Stratton, are in Gloucestershire! ;D

Google produces mainly hits re holiday cottages, but these sites do say:
Stratton Mill dates from the late 18th century, though there has been a mill on site since 1086. The River Churn flows to one side of this holiday property, attached to the old mill itself and with its own riverside courtyard garden.

From the National Gazetteer, 1868:
Stratton, Gloucestershire
"STRATTON, a parish in the hundred of Crowthorne, county Gloucester, 1½ mile N.W. of Cirencester, its post town. The village is situated on the line of the ancient Ermine Street, and on the high road between Cirencester and Gloucester. Brewing and malt making are carried on to some extent. The soil consists of stone brash, with a subsoil of limestone rock. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £388, in the patronage of New College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is old, and has a low slated tower rising from between the nave and chancel."
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 September 14 10:49 BST (UK) »
Oops, I'm appalled at my geographical error. Hehe.

Maybe the moderator will move it for us? I had Wiltshire on my mind since this family were from Shipton Moyne and Malmesbury.

Thanks for the information. I was surprised to see brewing and malt as part of their remit. I had assumed it was a corn mill and didn't expect that.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 September 14 11:09 BST (UK) »
Oops, I'm appalled at my geographical error. Hehe.

Maybe the moderator will move it for us? I had Wiltshire on my mind since this family were from Shipton Moyne and Malmesbury.

Thanks for the information. I was surprised to see brewing and malt as part of their remit. I had assumed it was a corn mill and didn't expect that.

Philip

Ashton Keynes, in Wiltshire is only 8 miles away!

If you click on "Report to Moderator" and ask for this to be moved, they will do so.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 September 14 17:49 BST (UK) »
Topic now moved ;)

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 September 14 00:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sarah. :)

P

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 September 14 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Philip,
Source: Kelly's Directory, Gloucestershire, 1914
A.Rimes & Sons, millers (steam & water) & corn, cake & manure merchants, Stratton Mills.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway