Author Topic: 1901 Census lookup - Mary Craig Masson (later Clarke) - b.12.12.1891 Greenock  (Read 9110 times)

Offline australis82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Greetings from Australia,
I'm not new to family history, but new to this site, and hoping to get some help finding information on Mary Craig Masson (later Clarke), my g-grandmother, maybe from the 1901 census.
Here's everything I know:
DOB 12.12.1891 (too late for the 1891 census).
Surnames: "Craig" was her maiden name at birth; her parents died not long after and she was adopted/taken in by a family named Masson.
Married 8.4.19, Kirkintilloch, to Alfred Jennings Clarke (lived at "Luggie View", Kirkintilloch).
Moved to Melbourne, Australia shortly after (not sure of the date or ship name); had a son there in 1921.
Died Melbourne 16.7.1981.
Any information or help available would be much appreciated!
-A

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census lookup - Mary Craig Masson (later Clarke) - b.12.12.1891 Greenock
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 April 14 11:12 BST (UK) »
Good morning and welcome to rootschat ..There is a Mary C Masson born 1892 Greenock aged 9 living with her Uncle Robert Rossie 48, Maggie A Rossie 43,and a Christina R Agnew in Cumbernauld ?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census lookup - Mary Craig Masson (later Clarke) - b.12.12.1891 Greenock
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 April 14 12:02 BST (UK) »
Do you have parent's names for Mary and date of birth and place for husband ??

Offline australis82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie,

Thanks for the quick replies and the information. Does it list a date or just the year for her birthdate?
I have very little information about her parents; all I know is that they both died when she was young, they probably lived in Greenock, and that their surname was probably Craig. She kept it as a middle name when she married and dropped Masson in favour of her husband's surname. Her husband's name is Alfred Jennings Clarke, dob. 13.6.1881, Kew, Victoria, Australia, died 27.7.73 in Melbourne, Australia. He served in the AIF in WWI (infantry) - I presume they met in the UK while he was training there. He served in northern France in 1917-1918, returned to London in late 1918, married Mary in Kirkintilloch in April 1919, then returned to Australia in June 1919. There's no record that I can find of her transport to Australia, but her son was born there in 1921.
Thanks again,
A

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 09:16 BST (UK) »
Do you have a copy of her marriage certificate and her birth that should list her parent's names not having much luck on the passenger lists ....Did see a Mr & Mrs A.J.Clarke & infant departing from Melbourne to Albany 1922 on ship Katoomba ..They also appear on the Electoral rolls but you most probably have that information

Offline australis82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 12:13 BST (UK) »
I have an extract of their marriage certificate as part of her husband's military records (record of change of next of kin and relationship status), but there are no parents listed for either of them - just their DOB and place of birth. I don't have her birth certificate either unfortunately. Where are you getting the info from? Is it all from the census, or are there other places I could find information like this (preferably without a subscription, and accessible online from outside Scotland)? I don't have the electoral roll information either yet, but I'm looking into getting it through freedom of information in Australia. I'm also looking into ancestors on another branch of the family tree, and knowing where to get information like this (passenger lists, British birth/marriage/death certificate information) would be very useful. Thank you! :)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 12:54 BST (UK) »
I have the parent's for Alfred Jennings Clarke born 1881 Ken Victoria father Charles Clarke mother Mary Ann Jennings ...Birth and death Australia Index ...these records are on Ancestry you can also search www.familysearch ..which this one is free ....Scotlands People will have birth record for Mary Craig you have to buy credits for this one ..I will check the Electoral rolls again and see if there are any more family

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 13:22 BST (UK) »
I have just checked the marriage for Mary and Arthur as I had a few credits left on S P it lists her father down as John Masson and her mother down as Mary Craig both dead as you said so it seems her mother had Mary in 1891 and the John Masson has adopted her ....So it looks like that is Mary in the 1901 census ...There are a few deaths on Scotlands People for John and Mary Masson so maybe you could buy some if you wanted to view them ...I will send you P M and Will forward the copy of marriage will have another look on Ancestry

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 14:36 BST (UK) »
Australia Death index  Mary Craig Clarke 1981 Glen Victoria parents John B Masson and Mary Craig is this your Mary