Author Topic: Chisholm descendants  (Read 13662 times)

Offline matchis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chisholm descendants
« on: Wednesday 01 March 06 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Although I am new to Rootschat, I have been researching my family history for the past three years. I have lots of information (  a thousand blood descendants) on a family of Chisholms originating in the parishes of Urray and Fodderty in Ross and Cormarty, from 1711 onwards. There are, however, a few families that I have been unable to trace.

Catherine MacKenzie, born in Fodderty around 1854  is the daughter of Isobella Chisholm and Duncan MacKenzie. I cannot trace her. Her niece, Katherine Jane Stewart MacKenzie, born in Latheron, Caithness in 1882 to parents John Chisholm MacKenzie and Jeannie Tuach, married John A Owen and they settled in London. Nothing else known.  Katherine's sister, Caroline Stewart MacKenzie, married Caleb Samuel Hill in Blackburn in 1911. I could not find any record of children.

Frances Sutherland, born in Urray in 1837 to parents Janet Chisholm and Donald Sutherland, married Alexander Gorran in Edinburgh in 1865. They seem to have vanished.

Donaldina C MacDonald, born in Fodderty in 1894 to parents Jessie Chisholm and Alexander MacDonald, seems to have vanished, too.

Jessie Sutherland Chisholm, born in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, in 1893 to parents Lewis Russell Chisholm and Janet Wood , has remained a mystery.

Margaret Chisholm , born 1880 to parents Donald Chisholm and Jessie Sutherland, who married John Anderson in Rosemarkie on the Black Isle in 1901 has proved elusive. Her brother, John Fowler Chisholm, born in 1870 has gone off radar.

Elizabeth (or Lizzie) chisholm, born around 1849 in Fodderty  to parents Kenneth Chisholm and Helen MacLennan remains unacounted for. Elizabeth's niece, Annie Ellen MacRae, born in Wrexham in 1875 to parents Mary Chisholm and Findlay MacRae, has not been traced.

Anyone know anything about any of the foregoing?

Matches

Offline Alastair Chisholm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Chisholm descendants
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mat,

You've clearly done a lot of research - have you been in touch with the Clan Chisholm society - Bob Chisholm  and Ben & Juliette Chisholm-Broomfield in particular? She's from the Fodderty family as I'm sure you're aware.
My Chisholms were of the Strathglass lot and I haven't come across any links into the Fodderty Chisholms, but I believe there's quite a lot been researched on the Foddertys so I presume you've been able to tap into that ... and add to it, I imagine.
Just thought I'd ask in case you haven't had access to Wilfred Medlam's files, or been in touch with the others I mentioned  - If not, I'll be happy to share what I've got, otherwise I don't think I have anything to offer except best wishes!
All the best
Alastair
Chisholm, MacRae, MacDonald, MacDonell - Strathglass

Offline matchis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Alastair. Yes, I am in frequent touch with Bob Chisholm  as well as Juliette (with whom I share a great-great-grandfather) and husband Ben. I wrote an article for a recent Clan Newsletter and another which Susan Chisholm tells me will appear in the next edition. But I don't know who Wilfred Medlam is. Can you tell me?
Perhaps our paths crossed at the international gathering last July. I was the one wearing a Chisholm kilt!!!

Regards, Matthew

Offline Alastair Chisholm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Matthew - I thought you were probably in contact with those people... I did see your article in the newsletter but  didn't make the connection that you were the author!
I'm afraid I haven't made it to any of the gatherings - family & work committments  - so we would not have crossed paths yet.
Wilfred Medlam, who sadly died in the last year or so, did a great deal of work in putting together Chisholm Family trees from all around the world. I'm sure Bob would have referred to them in any exchanges with you - I know there is some Fodderty data there. I'll send you a copy of my version of his files although I don't think it's complete. I expect Bob has access to the complete work.
Looking forward to meeting you one of these days - Will you be attending any of this summer's events? I might just make it up for the Highland games.

All the best
Alastair
Chisholm, MacRae, MacDonald, MacDonell - Strathglass

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 February 07 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matthew

Frances Sutherland, born in Urray in 1837 to parents Janet Chisholm and Donald Sutherland, married Alexander Gorran in Edinburgh in 1865. They seem to have vanished.

Not sure if you've seen this already, but there's a Donald Sutherland and Janet Chisholm buried in St Clement's Churchyard in Dingwall. Would you like me to send you the MI?

Best wishes
Lynn

Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline matchis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 07 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Lynn. Yes, I had seen the headstone. I'm grateful for your interest. Matthew

Offline docfraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 August 07 10:11 BST (UK) »
hi there i was wondering if you have come across a margaret(peggy) chisholm who married a john fraser is 1805 in the parish of rosskeen i know she was a live in 1823 as she had a son alexander who was born in upper teanahoun in the parish of urquart and logie easter.

Offline jjtahoe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 August 12 04:45 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on Gillanders Chisholm, father of George Chisholm, born March 6th, 1759, Fodderty, Ross and Cromarty.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 August 12 10:27 BST (UK) »
Folks,  this won't solve your genealogy problems but here's some excellent fiddling from Duncan Chisholm who has just completed his album Affric, completing the trilogy with Farrar & Canaich,
www.duncanchisholm.com

Skoosh.