Author Topic: James Duncan of Benmore & Mary Moubray family  (Read 10965 times)

Offline BanffAnnie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Duncan of Benmore & Mary Moubray family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 March 09 13:58 GMT (UK) »
My reply is the block of text above your last communication!

Offline Fernery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 April 09 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hello again

I meant to reply to response sooner - apologies. I was interested that your husband's work led to the Duncan painting appearing in the impressionist exhibition in Edinburgh last summer. I am also based in Edinburgh and enjoyed that exhibition very much. I noticed the reference to Duncan of Benmore - was it the paintings of the Bay of Naples??

Are you able to tell me whether there are any descendant of Duncan that you have been in touch with? Do you know if there is any material relating to the family or the house in any of the national archives or libraries?

We are hoping to film at Benmore on the 21st April. The RBGE are clearing some trees around the fernery. The renovation work continues a pace with ferns about to be transported from Edinburgh to Benmore.

with best wishes

Offline BanffAnnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 April 09 13:53 BST (UK) »
Yes it was the Bay of Naples.  You haven't told me who you are or what your connection is with Benmore, I am intrigued!  We do not have contact with any descendants - yet, and as for the research materials and leads, these belong to my husband.  Once we know what your work involves perhaps we could arrange a meeting?

Offline ASTON696

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 September 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi i am a DUCAN was looking for my old company J&C PRINTING inks...Sugar House Lane london.I see Duncan was the owner of a factory....sugar....so strange to think there was a duncan working there so long ago....

Offline BanffAnnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 September 10 22:56 BST (UK) »
James Duncan: An Enlightened Victorian by Andrew M Watson was published in July 2010 and is now on sale via the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh web site, at Benmore Botanic Garden, via Amazon and other outlets.  Fully illustrated.