Author Topic: Rev Joseph Ashton of Horton  (Read 15910 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Joseph Ashton of Horton
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 08:24 BST (UK) »
The September quarter Thomas William Wilcock was born 5 September 1855, baptised 31 August 1856 at St Peter, Leeds - the son of John and Judith Wilcock of Hound Street.  John is a Brewer.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 08:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks BumbleB for the information on Thomas William Wilcock 1855 birth ... I know to give him a wide berth!

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 08:46 BST (UK) »
I will be interested in what others think might be the age of the writer.  I consider it to be anywhere between 60 and 70 years.  While the Rev doesn't appear to be with Robert Wilcock and family on Census night, he does appear to be using this address as his own ... and on another sheet of paper, he does state that he wants the letter to go c/- Robert Wilcock at the same address. 

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 09:10 BST (UK) »
Interesting.    He could perhaps be writing it on behalf of someone else?    Often the local vicar would do that sort of thing for his parishioners if they were not literate.  Having the same name does confuse the issue though.
Andrea

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 09:17 BST (UK) »
Meant to mention earlier, Z, thanks for the noting the Service Records of the sons of Thomas William Ashton - I had never noticed their 'different' religions before, despite having both records in full.  John, unfortunately did not return, while Douglas did.

I am with you in that it would seem the Rev Joseph does not want to be found!  When I accidentally stumbled across the newspaper marriage entry giving his address in 1886 as Horton, I thought that at long last I would nail him!  So excited did I become, that I rang an elderly descendant of Joseph - someone whom I have never met and someone whom I certainly had not discussed the Rev with.  I asked her if she knew anything about him at all.  Her reply:  "Well, he was married two or three times, you know ... he was a bit of a lady's man.  He was a minister of some kind as well."  

I have a Dissenting Minister on the 'other side of the family' in Buckinghamshire and only after he had retired from his day job (grocer) did he list himself as "Dissenting Minister" on Census returns , despite having been a preacher in the same area for over 50 years. Wonder if the Rev Joseph had a 'day job?'

Again, many thanks for your thoughts and time
patDEN

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 10:27 BST (UK) »
I've been wondering if Joseph Ashton might have been something like a Methodist 'lay' preacher - i.e. one who had a full-time job, but also went around preaching at various Methodist Churches in the area. This might explain why he can't be found as a 'minister' or whatever.

Although, strictly speaking, I don't think this would have entitled him him to call himself a 'Reverend'  :(
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your thoughts, JenB ... I am thinking along these same lines.  My next step is to identify his day job!

Offline hjstort

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 14:07 BST (UK) »
A couple of days ago my sister located a Rev Joseph Ashton at Brook St Chapel Knutsford Cheshire who was minister there between 1820-1826 and being desperate to find a Rev Joseph, I was nearly prepared to stretch the age limit and claim him.  Thanks to hjstort's information, I think he is probably the Rev Joseph who died in 1864.  BTW, hjstort, was this Rev Joseph married?

The Rev. Joseph mentioned in my posts did serve in Knutsford so we are looking at the same individual. In the 1841, 1851 & 1861 Census returns he appears as Unmarried.
Dobson, Frankland, Oates, Sellar(s), Chadwick, Hardcastle, Cawthra, Vogel

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 14:16 BST (UK) »
Afternoon All ;D

The letter I think appears to have been written on behalf of the family by Rev Joseph Ashton as Andrea says it does confuse the issue having the same name but in the newspaper article you came across he states his father as Rev Joseph Ashton of Horton House so I wonder why he didn't ask for the letter to be passed to his son? And why write "in doing so you will greatly oblige his father" why not "I would be a obliged as his father" does that make sense?

A couple of snippets I came across whilst trawling the Trove website :-

A death notice 23 Sept 1919 for Isabella Ashton wife of Thomas William Ashton of Cranbrook interment the Presbyterian Cemetery Karrakatta etc

Probate notice in the Sunday Times (Perth,WA :1902-1954) for a Thomas William Ashton late of Cranbrook (died 21/7/27) and if I have interpreted this correctly then Probate was to be granted to a Joseph William Ashton of Cranbrook - does this mean anything to you? If so I wonder whether you are able to get a copy? It might hold some clues?

Still cannot find the elusive Rev Joseph Ashton I am beginning to wonder whether to keep up the pretense he was invented in order not to expose the true identity of Thomas William Ashton.

Anyway must go and do some housework ;D

All the very best

Z :)