Author Topic: Death of Marjory "May" (Davidson) Hector at St. Hellier, 11 Oct 1830  (Read 2774 times)

Offline gordonbb

• RootsChat Extra
  • MBR Gordon 1897
    • View Profile
Death of Marjory "May" (Davidson) Hector at St. Hellier, 11 Oct 1830
« on: Thursday 27 March 14 19:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information to help confirm an article I found on find-my-past's newspaper collection does, indeed, refer to my fourth great grandmother.

Marjorie Davidson was christened 7 May 1770 to John Davidson and Janet Findlay in the parish of Nigg, Kincardineshire, Scotland.

She married Thomas Hector 20 Jun 1797 at the nearby parish of Kinneff & Catterline. By 1811 the family was in London where most of their children were born. Thomas emigrated about 1833 to York (Toronto) in Upper Canada (Ontario) and died there on the 13th of October 1838. The final resting place and death of his wife has always been a mystery.

While searching the UK Newspaper collection on find-my-past for Thomas I found the following in Pg. 4, Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle, Monday 25 October 1830, No. 1620:
Southampton
Saturday, October 23,1830
Died, on the 11th instant, at Plaisance, Jersey, whither she had gone for the recovery of her health, May Hector, wife of Thomas Hector, Esq. of Hans-place.

This piqued my interest as notes in my late father's family history file (un-sourced, unfortunately) referred to Thomas as being of "Hans-Place, London"

I have located Plaisance which was was an estate torn down after WW1 and is now Howard Davis Park in St. Hellier.

If anyone has access to burial records for St. Hellier could they please look to see if she was interred there?

Regards,

Bruce  Gordon
Ottawa, ON
Gordon, Kincardine O'Neil, Aberdeenshire
Laing, Aberdeenshire
Robertson, Aberdeenshire
Ashton, Lincolnshire
Elgie, Absolutely Anywhere

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Marjory "May" (Davidson) Hector at St. Hellier, 11 Oct 1830
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 March 14 22:18 GMT (UK) »
The burial was in St Saviour and the entry in the register reads
HECTOR

20 Oct 1830 May (Wife Of Thomas) (56 Years)

The age is slightly out but there may not have been anyone with her who knew what her age actually was.

Offline gordonbb

• RootsChat Extra
  • MBR Gordon 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 March 14 13:40 GMT (UK) »
The burial was in St Saviour and the entry in the register reads
HECTOR

20 Oct 1830 May (Wife Of Thomas) (56 Years)

The age is slightly out but there may not have been anyone with her who knew what her age actually was.
Thank-you!

May I ask what the source of this record was? - i.e was it a transcript of the Parish Register or the register itself.

I am now further convinced that this is, indeed, my 4th great grandmother. Their first child, James, baptized 23 Aug 1799 at Kinneff & Catterline, Kincardineshire Scotland was reputed to have died in London. As the family emigrated to Canada in 1833 this death likely occurred before then. A search on Ancestry revealed two burial records 4 Mar 1830 at St. Luke's, Chelsea for a James Hector Aged 30 of "Hans Place".

Regards,

Bruce
Laing, Aberdeenshire
Robertson, Aberdeenshire
Ashton, Lincolnshire

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 March 14 16:25 GMT (UK) »
It was actually from a transcription so there may be more in the original parish records, which I can look at next week. Luckily it is not a parish whose original records are closed because of their fragile state.
Another source may be funeral directors records but that would depend on who actually handled the funeral arrangements, again I'll have a look next week.

Offline gordonbb

• RootsChat Extra
  • MBR Gordon 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 March 14 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you again!
Laing, Aberdeenshire
Robertson, Aberdeenshire
Ashton, Lincolnshire