Author Topic: Samuel Patrick Moody born Drumlegagh  (Read 18048 times)

Offline Tirohanga

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Patrick Moody born Drumlegagh
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 June 11 11:23 BST (UK) »
I have some photos of ladies that we can't identify which family they belong to. They were in William Fife and his wife Harriet (nee Ball)Moody album. Also I have a photo of their daughter Mary who was brought up by Samuel and Margaret and she was like a sister to the younger Moody sons as there was only about 10 yrs between them. The photo of  four sons when they were younger.
Anderson,Moody,Fife ,Tyrone Ireland.Shannon,Limerick.
Ball,Northampton Eng.Young,Shaw,Sligo,Ireland.

Offline Tirohanga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 June 11 11:36 BST (UK) »
photos

Offline Tirohanga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 June 11 11:38 BST (UK) »
photos

Offline Nona Anon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 23 June 11 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Tirohanga,
 I must say that I really enjoyed seeing your photo's that you so graciously shared here. I don't have a bit of info regarding your Samuel Patrick MOODY's line, but can share this much with you.
 You mentioned that you believed your line came out of the Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland area before coming to Nor. Ireland.
Well it just so happens that our proven Ydna MOODY (poss. Mudie early on / Moodie) line may have too.
 We have direct intermarriage with the McQUISTON (McCuistion various spellings of this name - see anciently Clan UISDEAN in Scotland), family line and some of their ancestors were from Paisley, Renfrewshire too.  Google or Bing  Alexander McCUISTION of Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland (that spelling of the last name and some info should come up which will involve our Ydna MOODY cousins family).
  Our earliest known and proven not only via Ydna (genetic) testing and documented genealogy was a Thomas MOODY b.c1710 in/of Aghadowey, Co. L'derry, Nor. Ireland whose 1st wife was Jean McCUISTON (McQuiston) daug. of Benjamin McQuiston.
 They came to America around c1735 with a Robert McCuiston and a bunch of others, landing in New Castle, PA (now Delaware).
 They then removed to Guilford Co., North Carolina and their descendants have spread all over the U.S.
I have recently posted some info to the MOODY board at GenForum about these Paisley, Scotland MOODIE's etc. I don't know that any of it will help you.
 There was an early Patrick MUDIE in the old Presbyterian church records at Ballykelly, Nor. Ireland (baptism records) , also another Ydna link to MUDIE's/Moodie's we have which has been proven again via Ydna and documented genealogy is to a n Alexander MUDIE/Moodie/MOODY of Lenamore/Magilligan, Co. L'derry, Nor. Ireland who m. Priscilla DICK. Many of their descendants went to Australia and some are now living in New Zealand as well. They link to an Abraham James Hopkins MOODY line.
 Thanks again for sharing and good luck with your research.

Offline Tirohanga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 June 11 00:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nona Anon for your info.
 Will try and locate Alexander Moody in NZ family  and will look at your posts on Gen forum.
 I'm sure if we keep looking the key must be found to unlock our family history.

Offline Nona Anon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 June 11 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Tirohanga,
 Yes, I believe the answers are out there somewhere. To let you know a bit more, another of our proven Ydna MOODY ancestors as I mentioned before was an Alexander MOODY b.c1747 who m. Priscilla DICK.  His line of Moody's per family tradition and stories told (which can be found at PRONI), state that his family came over from Fifeshire, Scotland. This is the area around Dunfermline, Dysart, Wemyss etc. on the mid east coast of Scotland.  My own Moody family states that our Moody's link to the Capt. George MOODIE of the ship the Cutty Sark. Capt. Geo. Moodie was also from Fifeshire, Wemyss, Dysart area...the same area as the Moody's to whom we share proven Ydna with.  However, I have been unable thus far to link my family line to Capt. George Moodie's. 
  Anyway, in the earliest records we've been able to find in the area of Nor. Ireland where our known Moody's went to church were from the late 1600's to the early 1700 Baptism records of the Ballykelly Presbyterian Church in Co. L'derry.
 There we found an Alexander MUDIE (spelled that way in the oldest common form of our surname), whose daughter Margaret MUDIE was being baptized in 1700.  Alexander was from "Maglogan" (a misspelling of Magilligan).  There was also a Patrick MUDY, Edward MUDIE, James MUDIE etc.  Sons that were baptized in these early records were Robert MUDIE, Joseph MUDIE and I believe a John MUDIE...all baptized before 1710 in the same church. These were all no doubt related and no doubt part of our earliest Ydna family line from Scotland to the Lenamore/Magilligan area of Nor. Ireland.  Alexander Moody and Priscilla Dick had known sons John MOODY who m. Mary HOPKINS and Israel MOODY who m. Elizabeth CASKEY.  Israel and family in 1841 removed to Kings Co., Nova Scotia, Canada where my own exact matching MOODY family line also lives.
 This was quite a find and surprise to say the least.  So all of these lines were/are no doubt interconnected.
I have 3 books on the early lines of the Moody/Moodie/Mudie families...The Moodie Book publ. in 1906, The Mudies of Angus publ. in the 1950's and the Mudie's of Dundee publ. in the 1990's.  One of our Ydna links in New Zealand states that their MOODY family came from Dundee, Scotland.  A recently found onlinie genealogy from the line of Alexander MOODY and Priscilla DICK also shows one of the descendatns being born in Dundee, Scotland, however none of the others were so I think it might be in error.   
There were also early MOODIE's in Co. Tyrone which I also think ~might~ somehow link in to our Moody's of Co. L'derry.  Some of them lived in Strabane on the Abercorn Estate.  The names were Samuel, John, Matthew, Henry, Andrew etc. as I recall.  The records were also found at PRONI which I have around here somewhere.  Hope this extra bit is helpful to you somehow. Take care and if you find anything please stay in touch.
Good Luck to you in your own research.

Offline Tirohanga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 June 11 00:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nona Anon,In any of those books on the Moody's does it mention a Theodore going way back. Also any scandal that the family would want hidden (reason for leaving Scotland or Ireland). I have seen a recent Theodore Moody wrote a book about Ireland, never read it.

Offline Nona Anon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 27 June 11 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
 The Theodore Moody you spoke of who has written or contributed writings to about Ireland, from what I understand, his family were Quakers. Most of ours were Presbyterian/Congregational. I do not recall any Theodore's in any of the books I have.
 It is my own opinion and The Mudie's of Angus book seems to hint at it as well, that there was some sort of rift in the Moodie/Mudie/Moody family which again seems to ~hint~ at possibly political or religious reasons for some of the splits in the family.  There is nothing more said and there is Very Little said about any of them going to Nor. Ireland, however we Know that some of them were there.
  Wish I could be of more help to you but its almost as if, someone wanted to purposely destroy our family tree and the link back to Scotland.  I have an idea that weather, bad storage, and perhaps fire or other problems are the reasons behind it being so difficult.  I have been researching my own Moody family tree for almost 30 years now, with the last 17 of them being nearly every day and at least every week, and I have found Nothing yet that solidly connects to Any of the Moody (all spellings) lines coming out of Anywhere on the earth. I've searched high and low and continue to stare at that Brick Wall.
  I have Very Good supporting evidence for which branches our Moody's may have come from, but nothing other than the Ydna results from North Ireland to show for it. That's been a Great help but we need More participants From Scotland to do the tests.

Offline Tirohanga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 27 June 11 04:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nona Anon for your last bit of info, I think you are right. Will try and get our Moody men to do dna test in NZ.