Author Topic: McGuire/Maguire from Tyrone to South Australia  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Ben Nicholson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McGuire/Maguire from Tyrone to South Australia
« on: Saturday 14 December 13 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone else out there tracing Maguires/McGuires who possibly  emigrated from Tyrone to South Austrlia particularly around 1858.

Looking for futher details on Hugh Maguire/McGuire; Husband of Susan and father of Hugh Philip and settled in the Burra area of South Australia.

I have a photo album from this side of the family that has 150 year old photos of people from Strabane.
Nicholson, Frampton, Leggett, Welke. Taylor, Riseborough, Edwards, Miles. Cahalan, Larkin, McGure, Wyman. Potter, Hussey, Clendinnen, Ellis.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McGuire/Maguire from Tyrone to South Australia
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 December 13 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ben Nicholson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 December 13 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Duplicate post on CAVAN board-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=670875.new#new

Yes I posted on the two seperate boards as there is a possibility they are from either place. Is this against the rules?
Nicholson, Frampton, Leggett, Welke. Taylor, Riseborough, Edwards, Miles. Cahalan, Larkin, McGure, Wyman. Potter, Hussey, Clendinnen, Ellis.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 December 13 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Duplicate posts on different boards cause confusion and extra work for those trying to help. Someone might post information on topic #1 and then another person sees topic #2... and before too long details overlap, some people are replying to topic #1 and others looking for information for topic #2 which is already on #1, etc. That's why I posted the links between your topics.

In general, it's best to stick to one thread (on Ireland-General board if you don't know the county or it covers more than one) but if there do need to be two then you can link them.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ben Nicholson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 December 13 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Gotcha. Will remember that for next time. Thanks for your help.  :)

Offline Shane 123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 December 13 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hard to pin point unless you know what Parish they were from.Strabane is really tricky as it is surrounded close by other parish's Urney/Donnyloop,Camus,Bodoney,s,Ardstraw,Leckpatrick and so on,also Strabane is on the boarder of Co Donegal I have found two here(Hugh),
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/127473621/1841-1851-Tyrone-Census-Fragments-_2006_
One of them is in Termonamongon about 12 miles west of Strabane in the Castlederg area aged 28 in 1841, and one aged 3 in 1851 in Camus which is the Strabane area. Also Maguire can be very tricky as I have found out because when you search there is many spelling,s of the same name ,these two are Mc Guire .
Also,but a bit of a long shot as some were carried out later than 1858, just go though every one!
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doPlaceSearch&freetext=Place+Name&countyname=TYRONE&baronyname=&unionname=&parishname=CAMUS&Submit.x=39&Submit.y=13

Offline mcgesc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 August 14 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Ben,
In SA records I can see same as you: Hugh (Snr) d:1896 age 83y Farrell's Flat.  His widow Susan in 1913 age 90y near Burra.  Hugh Philip d:1946 age 83 in Adelaide  and Agnes Mary 1951 age 73 in Wayville.  I assume H.P. McGuire's bride was Agnes WYMAN? Their ages at marriage St Aloysius RC Church Sevenhill at Clare on 11 Feb 1902 are stated as 34 (H) and 23 (W). Not quite consistent with DOD. Issue: 4 daughters: Mary Margaret (m: Wlm RUGE 1924), Lilian Rose (m:John CROCKER 1925), Cecelia Beatrice and Patricia Barbara {1902,04,07,11 resp}
There is a newspaper article Dec 1882 in the Northern Argus (Clare) which names Hugh McGuire,  son Hugh (Jnr) and wife Susan.
In 1876 in the Crystal Brook Police Court, a married woman was fined for stealing a pair of boots from a Hugh McGuire
No record of immigrant arrival either into SA. I have not checked Vic. or WA.
In 1863 there's mention of a Hugh McGuire at Toowoomba Qld.  No birth or marriage in Qld or NSW.  Haven't checked Vic. or WA.
Could he be the Hugh McGuire who arrive 1837 into NSW on the Norfolk and received a Conditional Pardon in 1861? 
How do you know he originated in Tyrone? 
Do you know when/where the sister married Reilly? I'll be in Adelaide in 2 months, maybe I can check the parish register for witness names and sponsors for the birth of the 4 daughters of Hugh (Jnr) for you.  Is this the right family - 4 daughters? 

mcgesc
?? :Fitzsimmons
Cornwall: Escott, Michell
Lanarkshire: Moss, Fisher
Mayo: Vaughan
Limerick: Collins
Cork: O'Sullivan
Armagh: Hanlon
Tyrone: McGuire
Louth: Grant
Down: Grant