Author Topic: Leonards/Pattons of Sion Mills, Tyrone  (Read 4215 times)

Offline cathal1958

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leonards/Pattons of Sion Mills, Tyrone
« on: Sunday 22 December 13 12:42 GMT (UK) »
In trying to trace my G.G grandfather who died in the 1WW name Patrick Leonard, I have found his Mother Cecilia, Father Patrick (Deceased), Siblings:Mary, Kate, Maggie and Annie, his only brother Dennis in 1901 census Denis may have died as I cant find him in 1911 census,
his Mother is still in Sion Mills At 29 Church Square living with her daughters Annie and her husband Rodger Patton and daughter Maggie in 1911 census, after that I'm stuck,
Patrick died in the 1WW I have no details, he was married in Longtower Catholic church in Nov 1906 to Maggie Mac Carron they had 3 Children Catherine Leonard died Dunfanaghy, Donegal in 1919, other daughters Bridget ( My Gran) and Lizzie,
STUCK NOW?? any help greatly appreciated
Cathal

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leonards/Pattons of Sion Mills, Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 December 13 13:27 GMT (UK) »
To start with-

Patrick Leonard (d.bef.1901) m.(c1882?) Cecilia (c1854 Co.Leitrim-aft.1911). One child died before 1911 & going by the family’s birthplaces it looks like they did move around a bit.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Altaclady/Town_of_Seein_or_Sion_Mills/1751094/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Attaclady/Church_Square/847569/
1. Mary Leonard (c1884 Co.Sligo-aft.1901)
2. Kate Leonard (c1885 Co.Sligo-aft.1901)
     ? death: Kate Leonard age 22 Jan./Mar.1907 Strabane registration district volume 2 page 275
3. Patrick Leonard (c1887 Co.Sligo-d.WWI) m.(1906) Maggie MacCarron.
     1. Catherine Leonard ? (d.1919 Dunfanaghy)
     2. Bridget Leonard
     3. Lizzie Leonard
4. Denis Leonard (c1889 Co.Fermanagh-aft.1901)
5. Annie Leonard (c1891 Co.Sligo-aft.1911) m.(1910) Rodger Patton (c1875)
     Marriage: Rodger Patton Oct./Dec.1910 Strabane reg. dist. volume 2 page 332 (Anne Leonard on same page)
6. Margaret Ellen “Maggie” Leonard (c1893 Co.Leitrim-aft.1911)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 December 13 13:47 GMT (UK) »
www.cwgc.org lists several men Patrick Leonard/P. Leonard who could be your Patrick. I’m struggling to find Patrick in 1911 Irish census or his marriage in 1908 in an index- have you his 1911 census details? and are you sure of the date of marriage?

Also having problems with this- “Catherine Leonard died Dunfanaghy, Donegal in 1919"
Found a death for only 1 Catherine Leonard in 1919 in Dunfanaghy district but she’s 22 years old (so born c1898)- Catherine Leonard age 21 Oct./Dec.1919 Dunfanaghy reg. dist. volume 2 page 35.

Not entirely sure where you want to go from here so will wait until you have a chance to read through the information posted and let us know.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 December 13 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
  The marriage took place in 1906 not 1908 and the Long Tower church has the spelling as LENORD and McCarron.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline cathal1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 December 13 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes guys there is some confusions,
I make a error in the marriage date it is 1906
with Catherine Leonard dying in Dunfanaghy some of the sites I have used give some different dates and ages, Church of Later day Saints seems to be more reliable,
other problems been that Church and government records differ in dates, e.g My Grandmother Bridget registered in Church in January government records March,
have tried the army records for Patrick Leonard to no avail, Family tensions from that age have led to little info on Patrick, I have tried to source his Pension that would have been paid to his wife no success, was in touch with the Derry/Londonderry war memorial project that is adding more war dead on the site no success, difficult getting Church cooperation at times,
waiting on certificates from Roscommon at present, its a long haul,
thanks for your support
regards Cathal  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 December 13 20:06 GMT (UK) »
"with Catherine Leonard dying in Dunfanaghy some of the sites I have used give some different dates and ages, Church of Later day Saints seems to be more reliable"
The LDS site gives Catherine Leonard as age 22- so born c1898- therefore she cannot be the daughter of Patrick Leonard who died in WWI:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRLH-568
She's also unlikely to be Patrick's sister (I posted likely death for her earlier).

"other problems been that Church and government records differ in dates, e.g My Grandmother Bridget registered in Church in January government records March"
Are you perhaps getting confused with the actual date and the quarter for the registration of the same event? For example, if Bridget was born in January then her birth would appear in the 1st quarter of that year (Jan./March) but some databases show the registeration as 'March' rather than the Jan./March quarter.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 December 13 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Possible birth for Denis Leonard:
Denis Leonard, July/Sept.1888 Enniskillen registration district, volume 2 page 63

I had tried to find Denis in the 1911 census earlier (since it's more likely that sister Kate is the deceased child of Celia) and this might explain why he seems to be 'missing':
Denis Leonard, Sergeant Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 6th Battalion service #11712, born Enniskillen Co.Fermanagh, died of wounds 23 Aug.1915 Gallipoli, enlisted Coatbridge Scotland
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=LE&GSpartial=1&GSbyrel=all&GScntry=51&GSsr=241&GRid=56014239&

Offline cathal1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 March 14 10:50 BST (UK) »
UPDATE ON CATHERINE LEONARD:
Death cert registered in Dunfanaghy sub district CROSSROADS Falcarragh, Donegal
8th August 1919 Catherine Leonard, Female Spinster age 21, National Teacher  died of food poison after 8 days, had room rented from the Doohan's family in Falcarragh,(ray)
Still trying to get further info about Patrick and where he died in the 1st world war,in record's he is stated as been born in Sligo, not sure where his Father was working as the family were living in Sion Mills for many years,