Author Topic: William Taylor and Rachel Crooks marriage 16 March 1876 Derryloran  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Maeabbie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Taylor and Rachel Crooks marriage 16 March 1876 Derryloran
« on: Tuesday 29 April 14 23:48 BST (UK) »
William is a widower at his marriage. How do I find his first wife?

In 1901 census, my grandfather Charles Taylor is 15, possibly born 1886. His occupation is tailoring. I can 't seem to find details of his birth. Help please.

1901 Census gives the family living at 95 Church Street, Cookstown, Tyrone.

I really need to know if Rachel Crooks was his mother and where I would find out.

Maeabbie

Smart,Smith,Coy,Parkes,Walker,Dunmore,Pykett,Page,Russell,Wright,Hopkinson,Taylor,Kennedy,Watson

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Taylor and Rachel Crooks marriage 16 March 1876 Derryloran
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 00:32 BST (UK) »

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 04:53 BST (UK) »
GRONI online has a birth registered in Cookstown for a Charles Taylor born 28 April 1886:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Critically, the Mother's maiden name coming back is "Crooks".

If you wish further assurance, you can pay to view more detail online, my recommendation would be the "Full" option.

Edited to add: GRONI online also has the siblings either side of Charles on the 1901 census record:

- Jessie Taylor (wrongly transcribed as Lissie on the 1901 census), born 1 July 1883, mother's maiden name = "Crooks", registered Cookstown; and

- Jane Taylor, born 14 September 1888, mother's maiden name = "Crook", registered Cookstown.

Offline Maeabbie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 06:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help Gaffy and Sinann. Thus is very much appreciated because it was only last week I found out my grandad Charles Taylor came from Cookstown for sure. I did find the 1901 census but didn't realise Lissie was Jessie.

My grandad Charles Taylor had a daughter Jessie also, so all is falling into place. Mum also said her grandad had been married twice and she was correct.

It's like one long detective story fitting the pieces in. Not so easy when you live in England.

Thanks
Maeabbie
Smart,Smith,Coy,Parkes,Walker,Dunmore,Pykett,Page,Russell,Wright,Hopkinson,Taylor,Kennedy,Watson

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 20:24 BST (UK) »
Family Search shows
Elizabeth Taylor born 14 Dec 1880 (Lizzie)
William Taylor born 25 Feb 1879 of the above parents

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 20:53 BST (UK) »
P R O N I will extract in Armagh for William Taylor Church St died 1906 to Rachel his widow 15 pounds.
Rachel possibly died Cookstown April June 1908 age 49?

Offline Maeabbie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 May 14 05:10 BST (UK) »
Dathai

Thank you so much for all the information. I have been doing family research for over 10 years now and it was only within the last couple of weeks that you have all helped with my Taylor family. It was only with getting the connection with Cookstown that has opened up the research.  I am not so good at using the familysearch org. I seem to look for ages. There must be a knack to it. My grandad, Charles Taylor as you say had a sister Elizabeth (Lizzie) and my own mum was Elizabeth Taylor also.
Another reply from Rootschat gave me his other sister as Jessie (mistranscribed in the 1901 census which I had found) and there again mum's sister was Jessie Taylor.  Simply amazing!  I am named after my mum and funnily enough I have a daughter Rachel.

I am coming over to Belfast in July and hope to get to Cookstown to have a look around. I've no idea how big Cookstown is. Is £15 the charge that GRONI charge for certificates or can you just copy them as I have done in Record Offices in England?

Thanks again
Maeabbie

Offline Maeabbie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 May 14 05:22 BST (UK) »
Dathai

Just a small query, was William Taylor junior born 25 Feb 1879 or 25 Feb 1889 as I estimated that as William was 9 in 1901 census he would have been born circa 1892. ???

There was a son Thomas born 1879. He was 22 in the 1901 census.

Maeabbie

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 May 14 10:24 BST (UK) »
The William born in 1879 most likely died and another William was called after him.