Author Topic: William Glover, 46 Altenburg Gardens, Battersea  (Read 1594 times)

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William Glover, 46 Altenburg Gardens, Battersea
« on: Friday 04 April 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on my Grandfather's brother William Glover. William was born in Tralee, Co. Kerry in 1890. He joined the Royal Engineers and served in WW1. As far as we know he did not return to Ireland after the war. I found his death record, he died in 1931 and was living at 46 Altenburg Gardens, Battersea at the time of his death. The death cert lists his widow as A.Glover. I have no idea whether they married in Ireland or Britain or if they had children. I'm not familiar with the records from Wandsworth so any ideas would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
Glover,Moriarty,Kennelly,Brosnan all based in Kerry.
Evans and Fitzpatrick in Dublin

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Glover, 46 Altenburg Gardens, Battersea
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 April 14 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

You may be able to find the full name of A. Glover from London electoral rolls and/or a probate calendar entry for William, both searchable on Ancestry (which you may be able to access on a trial basis or through your library if you do not subscribe).

Another possible source, also on Ancestry, might be his military records (if they survive) which may contain details of the marriage if it had taken place before the end of his service.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 April 14 13:57 BST (UK) »
Alice Margaret Glover and William Francis Glover were at No 46 in 1930 electoral register.  The house was in multiple occupation, no other Glovers mentioned  (probably divided into 'flats')

ADDED They were also registered there in 1929

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 April 14 14:10 BST (UK) »
Talk about a quick response !! Thank you both so much. I was about to try and find out where to access Ancestry (I've used up my trial subscription) as suggested by avm. Then Rosie to the rescue with all the information ! At least know I have a name for his wife. I'd love to know where they married so that will be my next task. I always thought that William worked at the Ford Factory in Dagenham but apparently that didn't open until 1931. William died in 1930 so that rules that out.
Thanks again for your help

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 April 14 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi janglover

Another post elsewhere...not sure if yours and connected, www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89778829  These include a possible marriage to an Alice McCarthy.

There are three births showing for Glover/McCarthy in Wandsworth, 1924, 1926 and 1929 - see www.freebmd.org.uk for names.

46 Altenburgh Gardens still there in its original form for the time you are looking at. Continues as flats and available to view on Streetview. It is not far, by a few numbers, from the Church my children were christened at.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 April 14 22:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks a million Monica, you have brightened up my Sunday evening. I am waiting for a copy of Alice's  death cert and my next step was to try and find children. I am delighted you found them for me  :)
That's definitely the right family alright, those children would be my late Dad's first cousins. I shall have a look at the house on googlemaps. Here's hoping there are offsprings of those children. Many thanks again

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 15:41 BST (UK) »
 Thanks to your help I have William and Alice's death certs which gave lots of information. Alice died in 1978 and she had the same address as her son. William Patrick Glover, 2 Victoria Court, Victoria Rd, Romford, RM1 2NV. I cannot find a death record for William P (born 1924) so I was wondering if he is still alive. I don't have access to the electoral registers and was wondering if anyone else does could they look him up for me please. Many thanks in advance