Author Topic: Charles LANE somerset  (Read 22819 times)

Offline FreddieP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles LANE somerset
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 January 11 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nova67

PM sent with email.

Sue

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 March 12 01:30 GMT (UK) »
James Lane married Ann Brodribb?

This post should mainly be of interest to the many Novocastrian decendants of  Charles Lane from Temple Cloud in the parish of Cameley in Somerset. He was a miner, convict, and then became a police constable and bailiff in Newcastle NSW.

I am wondering, as has been suggested recently on Ancestry.com, about my g-g-g-g grandparents as to which Ann married James Lane and why we are thinking Ann Brodribb?  Have been doing some research and found the following:

The baptismal/burial information all comes from Free Reg:
http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/Search.pl

The marriage of Ann Brodribb and James Lane was found on the Bristol and Family History Society Marriage Index Vol 8 Diocese of Bristol 1813 - 1837, page 412. They married 23 April 1817 at St Mary's Redcliffe, Bristol, by Banns and both OTP.

Baptisms:

26 Oct 1817 Willm Brodribb Lane (William Brodribb Lane)
25 Dec 1818 James Lane
22 Sep 1822 Thomas Lane
22 Aug 1824 Frederick Lane
All St Augustine Hippo, Clutton, Somerset. Abode: Clutton. Parents: James and Ann Lane. Father's occupation: Cordwainer.

Burials:

14 Nov 1817 Willm Brodribb Lane
St Augustine of Hippo, Clutton, Somerset
Reg No: 110
Age 6w
Abode: Clutton

1 July 1828 Frederick Lane
Reg No:348
Age 3

17 May 1826 Anne Lane
Reg No: 294
Age 37

28 Oct 1831 James Lane
Reg No: 417
Age 49

An alternative marriage to an Ann was found on Bristol and Avon Family History Society Marriage Index Vol 10, North Somerset Parishes 1754 - 1837, however, there is a date/name discrepancy with what was found on Free Reg, so I've included both:

Per BAFHS,
James Dale or Lane married Ann Thiery
21 Dec 1794
East Harptree (Parish) Both OTP.
By Banns.
Groom's Occupation: Labourer

Per Free Reg,
James Lane married Ann Thiery
10 Sep 1795
Reg No: 120
St Lawrence, East Harptree, Somerset
Groom's Occupation: Lab

There is a baptism for an Ann Thiery in 1777 at St Margaret's, Hinton Blewett.

Baptismal information found for a James (15 June 1802) and George Lane (16 Mar 1805) of parents James and Ann Lane  at St Mary the Virgin, Litton, Somerset. Abode: Hinton Blewett.

Baptismal information found for St James, Cameley, Somerset:
Charles Lane (22 Apr 1810),  Ann Lane (30 Aug 1812) Fa: Labourer, Eliza Lane (1 Sep 1814); Burial (3 Oct 1814), Fa: Labourer Abode: Temple Cloud, Mark Lane (25 Aug 1816), Fa: Labourer, Abode: Temple Cloud. All children of James and Ann Lane. Did not find a William c.1807 ? UPDATE: there is a William LAKE (2 Aug 1807) to James and Anne Lake. Probably him.This has been checked by Free Reg and will be amended to LANE on the next update of the records.

Well, this is open to debate.  Settlement documents (Somerset Archives) indicate that George Lane (on census b. East Harptree) was a child labourer as a "servant in husbandry". He states that he was born in Hinton Blewitt and moved from his parents' James and Ann Lane's parish of Cameley to Chewton Mendip.

Hope this helps.
Nova67
Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 March 12 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to link the two related topics together. The other relates to "Charles Lane Family History Local History", but if I google it, it now takes you to an unrelated post ???

Link to other thread added

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,11560.new/boardseen.html#new
Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 01:38 GMT (UK) »
I have now ordered the death and marriage certificates for Charles Lane from:
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalRecords.htm

I believe his death per the historical index is:
Reg No: 15740/1899  Charles Lane.  Instead of parents names it gives age 90 years and died Wickham. Reg district: Wickham, therefore, I assume informant must not know his parents names. I believe he died at his daughter's house.

There is another Charles Lane listed in the historical index, born 1874 and died 1874, with parents James and Catherine, perhaps this is where the suggestion of Catherine came from?

I am hoping there will be some indication of parent/s on his marriage cerificate, but hard to know with these older ones if such information is recorded.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 March 12 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Both BAFHS and FREE REG have kindly checked the entry for James Lane and Ann Thiery and agree on the date 1794.
Entry 120, 21 Dec 1794, after Banns
James DALE labourer of this parish married
Ann THYERY of this parish
Witnesses: Thos CHAPPLE and Edward HARPER
The groom and bride Marked.
Next to the marks is written James LANE and Ann THIERY ???
There is a baptism for a child called Betty (b. 1796) and Mary Dale (b.1798) at St Margaret's, Hinton Blewett to James and Ann Dale.

Charles Lane's marriage and death certificates do not reveal parentage. As anticipated, Mary Ann Mayo, his eldest child is the informant and it has written "Not Known" for either parent. It does give occupation of father as "Miner". No information has come to light that James Lane was a Miner, but he may have been? Have only ever seem him recorded as Labourer on children's baptisms, or as a servant in 1833. His son's were Miners.

If it was Ann Brodribb they wouldn't have married until 1817? Charles born. abt 1809.
Baptised 1810.  Ann, even giving rounding up of ages in 1841 census and age on death certificate, would have been getting old to be having the children baptised in Clutton after 1817, and her husband is a cordwainer.

Anyway, this is probably very confusing  ::) and the only replies are from me :(

Offline kurrawalla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 June 13 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Nova67 I am also a descendant of Charles Lane - Edward - Spencer - Sydney, all of Newcastle. How do we get in touch? I also saw a reply by Nathan Lane from 2005 and he had info about Charles in England.

Peter Lane

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 June 13 13:57 BST (UK) »
PM sent

Offline kurrawalla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 June 13 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nova67 I recieved your message but at the moment I dont have permission to send a message back.
Will be in touch.

Peter

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 02:48 BST (UK) »
I think the personal message function might work now that you have replied.