Author Topic: AVERY's from YATTON  (Read 5221 times)

Offline kcstadium

• RootsChat Senior
  • gf Henry Samuel Avery 1860-1942
    • View Profile
AVERY's from YATTON
« on: Thursday 27 July 06 11:23 BST (UK) »
I have extensive FH on my ancestors from 1650's.
Would like to hear from anyone with possible connections
Avery - Somerset & Yorkshire
Ashton - Lincs & Yorkshire
Graves - Yorkshire
Falkingham - Yorkshire
Earl - Cambs, Lincs & Yorkshire
Doubtfire - London & Yorkshire
Phillipson - Lincs & Yorkshire
Hanson - Nottinghamshire & Yorkshire

Offline A very old pirate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: AVERY's from YATTON
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Avery Yatton and Gurney Slade. Researching Samuel George Avery  b Yatton c 1799 son Of William Avery and Sarah.
 In later life he moved to London  with his wife Ann (nee James) daughter of William and Patience (Shepard) James
Avery of Yatton. Avery of Shoreditch ,Hackney, Tower Hamlets and London.
James of Croscombe, Dinder, Binegar, Emborough. Duckrell. Greville of London, Lambeth and Tower Hamlet.
Cole and Powell London

Offline Abergavenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 September 14 15:20 BST (UK) »
I am researching Avery's of Yatton.
Samuel George Avery's father if my family search is correct was my great-great-great grandfather William. I have the information that I believe Williams wife was Sarah Stallard who came from Yatton and possibly married at Westbury-on-Trym , but I  cannot identify his birth to be able to reach back 1 more lineage

The number of children produced in the 4 generations I have identified is quite extroadinary
 William (  Samuel and William Morris  father) 10 children 3 died early
 William Morris ( James son) 9 children
James ( Thomas John, youngest son) 10 children
Thomas John ( d. 1958) ( Kenneth George, son) 9 children
Kenneth George 4 children

my personal goal is to identify whether the lineage links to the Dedham Ma Avery Clan , or Groton, CT. Avery Clan of USA

Offline kcstadium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 October 14 15:42 BST (UK) »
Long time since been on RootsChat and the same for family research!
Can tell you Samuel George's father William (1753-1829) was the brother of my 3 x gt gf Samuel 1741-1822.
William your 3 x gf was baptised 29.03.1758 (late) at St. Mary's Yatton. He died 16.01.1829 and was buried At St. Mary's Yatton 22.01.1829.
You are correct in that William married Sarah Stallard on 19.12.1785 at Westbury on Trym. His occupation was Sexton.
His father was Jacob Avery born Yatton about 1703, baptised St. Mary's 24.01.1703 buried probably 26.10.1781 or possibly 6.10.1793 (a bit vague) Jacob married Mary. unknown, not listed in St. Mary's PR's so probably from another village.
Jaocb & Mary had the following children:-
Hannah bpt 2.04.1735 buried 12.10.1735 Yatton
Joseph bpt 17.12.1735, died 22.01.1815 of Pill age 81 buried in Easton in Gordano.
Cybile bpt 19.09.1736 burfied 15.04.1770 Yatton
Morris bpt 27.04. 1740, Christopher also same (twins?)
SAMUEL bpt 9.05.1743 buried 2.03.1822 Yatton
Sarah 2.06.1747 - 28.05.1748 Yatton
Sarah (Amelia?) 16.07.1749
Morris (the 2nd!?) bpt 21.09.1749 buried 24.09.1749 Yatton
WILLIAM born 1753? bpt 29.03.1758 died 16.01.1829 buried 22.01.1829 age 76 Yatton.
Going back further:-
Jacob's (24.01.1703) father was John Avery 1673-???? who married Jean Millard 10.06.1695. They had Rachel 1696, Sarah 1697,, Hester 1699, Susanna 1701, JACOB 1703 and Joseph 1706.
JOHN 1673 was the son of John Avery c1634 who married Ann unknown born c 1639 buried 27.04.1663 Yatton (wife of John) they had Susanna buried 30.04.1663 3 days after mother!. John remarried Susanna Millington 27.03.1667 Bristol, they had JOHN 26.08.1673. 2nd marriage is speculation (IGI Batch 7919434) no parish records available. There are records of John Avery's burials in Yatton  of 1725 and 1729. No burial of Susanna (wife0 althouigh if born Bristol may have been buried there?
Hope of some help and not confused you too much!??
Regards
Bryan 
Graves - Yorkshire
Falkingham - Yorkshire

Offline kcstadium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 October 14 15:45 BST (UK) »
Samuel George was baptised 14.07.1799 St. Mary's Yatton. No further info on him.
Can go back from his parents William & Sarah if interested?
Regards
Bryan 
Graves - Yorkshire
Falkingham - Yorkshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 October 14 13:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all this Bryan. This is fantastic.   I  had done some  further research and   had some duplicate results to you but was not sure if my research skills were accurate and had not added these to my tree..  Now  confirmed by yourself (Jacob Avery etc) I can add another  branch to my tree.  I have also drawn a blank with the Stallards but suspect they are also a Yatton  ( or near to Yatton )  family.  The name appears 2x in the tree.  Should you require any  help from me I will do my best. Thanks Liz 
James of Croscombe, Dinder, Binegar, Emborough. Duckrell. Greville of London, Lambeth and Tower Hamlet.
Cole and Powell London

Offline kcstadium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 October 14 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz
Thanks for your reply and glad to be of help.
Not done anything on Stallard's, not of real interest other than when looking for William Avery's family. He didn't hang about!!!.. 13 children including your Samuel George!
His father Jacob, descended from John Avery 1673-???? who married Jean Millard they had 6 children.
John Avery descended from another John Avery c1634-????) this John married twice, 1st to Ann unknown who died in or after childbirth (Susanna) he then married Susanna Millington in Bristol and they had John 1673 and Israel 1679 although the 2nd marriage is a bit of speculation.
You probably have this too?
Avery's well established in Yatton in the early/mid 17th century with further evidence of their existence in the mid 1500's paying tithes (a tax payable to the chapel or church)
I also have a will of Richard Avery (yeoman) 1653 of Clavenham (Clandham?) within the parish of Yatton. Son's include William and Samuel which occur several times in my family history notably Samuel my 3 x gt gf, my 2 x gt gf and my grandfather Henry Samuel who moved up to Yorkshire from Yatton on the railways. Could go on forever!!
Regards
Bryan
Graves - Yorkshire
Falkingham - Yorkshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 October 14 14:41 BST (UK) »
Samuel George dropped the name Samuel   when he left Somerset and went to London.  He lived in Limehouse and Bethnal Green where  records show he changed occupation a number of times.  He was  an "Officer in the Customs" in 1841 then "Railway Police 1851 and on a daughters marriage certificate "Gentleman Broker"  . Nothing else can be found as yet.  He can be found as an arresting officer in a number of cases on THE OLD BAILEY ONLINE as George Avery policeman. His son William was a Mariner  and sailed ships to the West Indies, Jamaica  and Barbados from Bristol and London.  After his marriage  (  to Sophia Powell)  he left the sea and worked as a  warehouse man in Hoxton. Sophia Williams wife  was descended from a French Huguenot family.
Cole and Powell London