Author Topic: Two mysterious children lost... but living at the same time?  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Two mysterious children lost... but living at the same time?
« on: Wednesday 23 April 14 21:48 BST (UK) »
I was having a look at my 5xgt grandparents Edward HARRISON and Mary [TROUGHTON?] in Kendal, Westmorland. When I got to their children, I found this little anomaly:

William HARRISON ch. 2 Jan 1789, Kendal
William HARRISON ch. 2 Jan 1790, Kendal
William HARRISON bd. 2 May 1791 aged 1, Kendal
William HARRISON bd. 22 Apr 1792 aged 2, Kendal

You might be able to see the problem there? All christenings and burials say parents Edward and Mary. I can’t see the original images (I found those on FamilySearch) and I can only see one Edward x Mary marriage. I feel in my gut they are both of the same parents...

The ages don't quite match up either...

Someone in chat did suggest to me that the first William was sickly and expected to die so they named the next one William pre-emptively... but that seems strange to me...

Does anyone have any ideas or can confirm the details via original record?  ???

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two mysterious children lost... but living at the same time?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 May 14 15:20 BST (UK) »
Two possible reasons
1) Two different researchers on the IGI and it was misread by one
2) Some vicars of this time period started their year in April till April the following year I have had this happen myself
The only way out is to either a fiche or a cd for that area
Good luck

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 May 14 15:30 BST (UK) »
I suspect the two christenings may be the same event /same child.

With a date as early in the year as 2 Jan one has to suspect that the page was headed 1789 and recorded events in Dec and early Jan and that one transcriber has failed to adjust for the change of year, so recording 2 Jan 1789, while another has clicked that the Jan dates would have been in 1790.

In earlier records one sometimes sees dates in the format 1739/40 but that is because until 1751 the new legal year did not start until 25 March.  Your examples are too late for this to be an issue.

Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 May 14 16:11 BST (UK) »
Someone in chat did suggest to me that the first William was sickly and expected to die so they named the next one William pre-emptively... but that seems strange to me...

Very often happened, I have several where I have researched the registers myself, so know it is not a "made up , collected, donated or transcription" from familysearch
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 14:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks both.

That makes sense avm, although that would now lead me to have a child who dies twice!  ;D I guess I'll resign myself to not knowing until I'm in a position to go and check this myself, see if there's any more information  :-\