Author Topic: Drogheda death 1953  (Read 11513 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drogheda death 1953
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 May 12 15:20 BST (UK) »
Another thing to bear in mind is that online death records for the South of Ireland only go up to 1958.

Christopher could have still been in Ireland yet died after 1958 - just another possibility.

I think this is the Christopher Buckley that died in 1953

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Louth/Fair_Gate/Georges_Street_East/571398/

Tara

Offline jbhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 May 12 15:46 BST (UK) »
From St. Peter's Parish Cemetery by James Garry:

"BUCKLEY - Christopher Buckley, Bolton Square, 21st January 1953. His son Ephraim, 24th November 1953. Mary Ann Buckley, wife of the above Christopher, 14th April 1978 aged 82 years. Their son, Christopher (Buckley), 25th January 1983 aged 62 years"

also

"BUCKLEY - Erected by Mary Ann Buckley, Bolton Square, in memory of her father John Ruddy, 15th May 1928. Her mother Rose, 26th May 1951. Her sister Margaret, 23rd November 1907. Her grandson Declan Grogan, born and died 16th December 1961. Also her daughter, Celine Grogan, (mother of the above Declan) 16th May 1983 aged 54"

That might help in deciding if the above Christopher is the "right" one.

Regards,

Brendan
Louth: Hall, Kindlon, Hughes, McAuley, Cumiskey
Cavan: Langan, Reilly
Dublin: McAuley, Murphy
England & Wales: Parkhouse, Callow, Callowhill, Vinall, Huzzey, Mortimer

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 May 12 16:15 BST (UK) »
Tara - I think you are likely to be correct, and the person you found in the 1911 census is, in all probability, the Christopher Buckley who died in Drogheda in 1953. My grandfaher was definitely born in Rochdale (parents Charles and Mary Jane). Looks like the Drogheda CB is not my grandfather after all!
On the 1943 death certificate the informant ('C Buckley, son') has an address in Rochdale - a lodging house. I have asked the Local Studies Library in Rochdale to see if they have an documents / records relating to that address.
I'd like to thank those who have contributed their expertise to this thread - much appreciated

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 May 12 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brendan - only just seen your posting. Is there any way of determining when Christopher Buckley and Mary Ann [Ruddy] married? If before 1932, that really does effectively eliminate any possibility that this was my grandfather.
Ian

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 May 12 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi yelkcub,

It's sounds like it must have been a very hard time for your father and grandmother.

Hopefully with time you will get the answers you need :)

Tara

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 May 12 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brendan - only just seen your posting. Is there any way of determining when Christopher Buckley and Mary Ann [Ruddy] married? If before 1932, that really does effectively eliminate any possibility that this was my grandfather.
Ian

According to gravestone details posted earlier Christopher & Mary Ann's son Christopher would have been born c1921 and Christopher (Sr.) was single in 1911.

Likely marriage: Christopher Buckley July/Sept.1914 Drogheda registration district volume 2 page 398- Mary Anne Reddy on same page.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 May 12 16:38 BST (UK) »
Oh well - that seems to rule him out. Once again, a sincere thankyou to all who have given their time and expertise to my posting. As you say, it was a very difficult time. My father remembered having to stand up in court soon after his parents separated  - he had to say which of his parents he would rather live with. At six years old! Hard to believe that so recently the legal system could have been so insensitive. My grandmother lived the rest of her life alone. Among her effects I found some tiny snapshots of her, with Chriss, before their marriage. He was tall, slim and handsome. His genes must have passed me by!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 May 12 16:43 BST (UK) »
What a sad memory for your father- I'm sure it wouldn't have been easy for your grandmother either.

Wonder if there would be voting lists for Rochdale to trace Christopher before and after 1943?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 May 12 16:47 BST (UK) »
Oh, that's heartbreaking.

I suppose you can take solice fom the fact that it sounds like Chriss was trying to give your Dad the option to live with him. There's many who didn't try.

Tara