Author Topic: beds parish cds , bit confused  (Read 3271 times)

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
beds parish cds , bit confused
« on: Sunday 13 October 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
hello wander if someone could help me, ive hit a brick wall over the birth reg of one of my ancestors , I can not find his reg in bmd he may have not been registered at all or he may have been under a different name. his name should be Alfred loveridge and he was born around 1850 on the census records he says born in Bedford, so im hoping to try for baptisims to see if that would give me a clue but I cant seem to find one cd for beds parish records, ive never bought one of these cds before so im not sure what to get.  so has anyone got any suggestions please for how/where I might get a cd for baptisims for Bedfordshire. also is there lists for baptisims in beds around 1930.
sorry if this is in the wrong place.
thanks tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: beds parish cds , bit confused
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 October 13 17:11 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD has the birth registration of -
Alfred Loveridge, Dec 1852, Newport Pagnell, 3a 418

Possibility??

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 October 13 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

The majority of parish registers for Bedfordshire are on familysearch.  I assume that you are referring to Alfred who was in Cople in 1871 with his mother Elizabeth Loveridge and 'father' Montague Grey

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VFFQ-L6J
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 October 13 17:55 BST (UK) »
hi. yes rosie I think that is my alf but so far have struggled to prove it, I can not find a birth reg
 for that Alfred, I had considered maybe they registered him at birth under another name, perhaps William or montague or joseph, (would fit with other names in the family) but am not sure, then they may have changed his name to Alfred, a possible theory, it was something romanies  sometimes did apparently. so im hoping that maybe just possibly they baptised him as Alfred.
the other Alfred born in Newport pagnell was a alf I did think was mine for a while he is the son of david and Louisa loveridge but there son Alfred apparently joined the services and then died childless in the 1890s, so not my alf.
ive looked on family search and nothing comes up I just hoped maybe there would be something else to find not just Alfred really any loveridges or parkers it all adds to the picture.
thanks tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 October 13 18:06 BST (UK) »
Romanies didn't, as a rule, register their children. In fact, plenty of people got away without registering their children in the early days of Civil Registration.

Romanies also avoided the census where possible. Sometimes they've been caught out (as in Cople), but I've not found it easy to reconstruct Romany families from census returns.

Baptisms are much more likely, but they tended to be rather unpredictable. Since the 1871 census entries suggest the family spent time in Huntingdonshire (Peterborough, Buckden and Keyston (I presume)), that is also an area that needs searching for clues.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline coelmar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 January 14 16:00 GMT (UK) »
My work as local government officer in Essex some 30-odd years ago brought me up against Loveridges and Parkers.    Maybe try widening from Beds into surrounding counties.     Perhaps Bedford as birthplace "seemed like a good idea at the time".
Coelmar
Davidson & Young in Ayrshire::  Deacon in Beds:: Hawkins & Young in Berks::  Grant, Hammond & Southgate in Essex::  Punter & Sorrell in London:: Dennison in Suffolk & Yorks