Author Topic: Spain where to start  (Read 701 times)

Offline louisemccrea

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandfather Robert Samuel McCrea
    • View Profile
Spain where to start
« on: Thursday 09 July 09 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have come across a ancestor from Spain she will have been born around 1800 but i have no idea where to start all i have is her surname her husbands name who was born in Cornwall i assume they married there as they certainly had a daughter in England before moving to India.  I don't know if it is possible to even find her or a lost cause.

Louise :D
McCrea - Glasgow Enniskillen
deVall - Dudley Birmingham Rugeley
Graham - Port Glasgow Clydebank Glasgow
Gallacher - Dumbarton Ireland India Madras Calcuta
Sanders - Birmingham
Marris - Port Glasgow Fife Ireland
Fitzsimmons - Enniskillen
Davis - Birmingham Dudley
Brown - Dudley Bristol
Smyth - Enniskilen Northern Ireland
Upshon - India Madras Bangalore Dorset Wales Glasgow Any where in England or India
McLuskie- Glasgow Dumbarton

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Spain where to start
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 July 09 16:45 BST (UK) »
I would concentrate first on the daughter; where/when was she born?
Then the husband; where/when was he born? Or do you just know "Cornwall"? What was his occupation?

This Jane Elizabeth Marshall, father Joseph and mother "Lajolla", right?

I did find one interesting clue:
Wm. Elliott Marshall, 1861 census at RG9/1802 39/15 (in Cheltenham).  He was 34, born "Spain", but a British subject, and a captain in H. M. Indian Army.  (at the time, widowed. I believe he married as William Elliot Marshall to Cheltenham soon afterwards and then appears to have returned to India).

http://search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/aps_detail.php?id=728008
 - if you acquired these records that should list his parents' names-- hopefully father Joseph!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline louisemccrea

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandfather Robert Samuel McCrea
    • View Profile
Re: Spain where to start
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 July 09 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose

Thanks for the reply you do have the right people i forgot i had asked about them on the cornwall forum i thought you were psychic for a moment there ;D   I am going to look into the William Elliot Marshall i think he could possibly be the brother of Jane Elizabeth Marshall.  I don't have to much on them from the records in the india office i have Jane elizabeths marriage it was in Madras 4 oct 1843  her age sugests she was born around 1824 and it says she is a European which suggests that she was maybe born in Spain as it would say british if she was born there it was other contacts told me she was born in England Cornwall but i don't know where they got this from her marriage also gives her father as Joseph but does not give his occupation.  I have a copy from a certificate thing about the Anglo-Indian worthies which is about Janes husband it describes her as Anglo spanish.

Thats about as much as i know but i will definatly look into william.

Louise :D
McCrea - Glasgow Enniskillen
deVall - Dudley Birmingham Rugeley
Graham - Port Glasgow Clydebank Glasgow
Gallacher - Dumbarton Ireland India Madras Calcuta
Sanders - Birmingham
Marris - Port Glasgow Fife Ireland
Fitzsimmons - Enniskillen
Davis - Birmingham Dudley
Brown - Dudley Bristol
Smyth - Enniskilen Northern Ireland
Upshon - India Madras Bangalore Dorset Wales Glasgow Any where in England or India
McLuskie- Glasgow Dumbarton