Author Topic: Hunter Family of East Kilbride  (Read 3417 times)

Offline hedgerow64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hunter Family of East Kilbride
« on: Saturday 10 September 11 10:56 BST (UK) »
I have always been told that I was connected to the famous Hunter brothers (surgeons) of Long Calderwood, East Kilbride. After a lot of searching I have found that I am descended from the Hunters of Capelrig Farm which was within a mile of Long Calderwood.
I cannot make a connection between the two sets of Hunters.I am hopeful that there is a connection and would be grateful for any help or any information regarding this.Thank  you.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter Family of East Kilbride
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 September 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
As the Hunter Brothers were born early 1700s it will be hard to establish a link

How far back have you managed with your family?

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 September 11 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

From http://www.electricscotland.com/history/other/hunter_william.htm:

"WILLIAM HUNTER was born, May 23, 1718, at Kilbride in the county of Lanark. His great-grandfather, by his father’s side, was a younger son of Hunter of Hunterston. His father and mother lived on a small estate in the above county, called Calderwood, which had been some time in the possession of their family. They had ten children, of whom the subject of our present memoir was the seventh, while John was the tenth."

On SP, there is the following baptisms - all in East Kilbride ...

John, 10/10/1708
Elizabeth, 12/2/1710
Andrew, 7/10/1711
Janet, 12/7/1713
James, 2/1/1715
Agnas [sic], 22/7/1716
William, 1/6/1718
Doretty [sic], 2/3/1721
Isobell, 26/12/1725
John, 30/3/1728

All are with father John Hunter, some mention mother as [Ms] Paul ... several websites list her name as Agnes Paul, but there is no marriage on SP to verify that.

Naming patterns would suggest that John's parents were John and Janet, Agnes's (?) Andrew and Elizabeth, but it depends how strictly these were adhered to. If you post the names of your furthest back Hunters with their dates and locations, someone may be able to link them up.

hume :)

Offline hedgerow64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 September 11 15:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your reply.  The information I have is as follows:
Alexander Hunter was born East Kilbride b1800 - d1875 Capelrig farm. He married Jane (Jean) Smith born stranraer? b 1799
Alexander had a brother called James b1788
Their father was James Hunter b1760 Wife Margaret Wilson.

Any information linking these to the Long calderwood Hunter would be gratefully received. :)

Offline MuzzaWilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Scottish borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 April 14 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Hedgerow,
I am also interested in making the connection between Capelrig and Long Calderwood, though this time from the view point of the Wilsons and the Grangers. Margaret Granger was born at Long Calderwood in 1763 and her father was listed as tenant.
In 1841 census Margaret is living at Capelrig with husband Robert Wilson aged 75. (born 1766) I presume he is brother of Margaret, wife of James Hunter, at Capelrig.

Can you shed any more light on any of these links and connections? Especially the Wilsons if possible.
Wilson, Granger, Gardiner, Pollock, Brown, Stewart, Nicol

Offline MuzzaWilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Scottish borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 April 14 23:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your reply.  The information I have is as follows:
Alexander Hunter was born East Kilbride b1800 - d1875 Capelrig farm. He married Jane (Jean) Smith born stranraer? b 1799
Alexander had a brother called James b1788
Their father was James Hunter b1760 Wife Margaret Wilson.

Any information linking these to the Long calderwood Hunter would be gratefully received. :)

Hello Hedgerow,
I am also interested in making the connection between Capelrig and Long Calderwood, though this time from the view point of the Wilsons and the Grangers. Margaret Granger was born at Long Calderwood in 1763 and her father was listed as tenant.
In 1841 census Margaret is living at Capelrig with husband Robert Wilson aged 75. (born 1766) I presume he is brother of Margaret, wife of James Hunter, at Capelrig.

Can you shed any more light on any of these links and connections? Especially the Wilsons if possible.
Wilson, Granger, Gardiner, Pollock, Brown, Stewart, Nicol