Author Topic: family history John Sneedon married Theresa Devlin 28th Nov 1924  (Read 4927 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: family history
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 21:51 GMT (UK) »
ancestry has only so much to see

You cannot rely on A******y for Scottish research. They have no original BMD or census documents, only transcriptions of the census. Anything you find there must be checked by looking at the originals, which are only available at Scotland's People.

This may be the death of the mother (ms: Annie Cant AITKENHEAD) and if so, perhaps useful to see who informed of her death

It is, and the informant was her daughter Jenny Sneddon, 43 Arlington Street, Glasgow. So Janet/Jenny was still in Scotland, and unmarried, in 1940.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi...im trying to trace my grandfather...he last lived at 31 Dunning Street Glasgow, in 1951, cant find him from there, his name is John Lachlan Paterson, wife Elizabeth Paterson, nee Boyle. I live in Wales, so just cant get up to Scotland at the moment...hope you may be able to help, ive tried the ancestry sites...no luck...thankyou.....Mary Webb

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi...im trying to trace my grandfather...he last lived at 31 Dunning Street Glasgow, in 1951, cant find him from there, his name is John Lachlan Paterson, wife Elizabeth Paterson, nee Boyle. I live in Wales, so just cant get up to Scotland at the moment...hope you may be able to help, ive tried the ancestry sites...no luck...thankyou.....Mary Webb

Mary, you would be much better to start a new thread rather than just tacking a message on to the tail of a thread about unrelated people.

Oh, and don't bother with ancestry for Scottish research, because they don't have the basic information. www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk is the site you need. There is no substitute for SP.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.