Author Topic: Martin, Whittingham, Galbraith Short Family  (Read 7262 times)

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martin, Whittingham, Galbraith Short Family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 March 14 08:08 GMT (UK) »
      There was a George James W Martin born at Motherwell in 1946.      It is on Scotlands People.
What you really need to tell us is when they went to South Africa.     You see, the ships records only go up to 1960, so if it was any later than that then they won't be on the ships records at all.
Did Jack James Martin go to South Africa with Mary (Mae) Whittingham Martin when George James Martin was still a young boy?      Did they go in the 1950's perhaps?

Offline bantumi69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 07:49 BST (UK) »
My Dad being George James Whittingham Martin came to south africa on his own at the age of 18 by plane that would have been 1964 abouts i think.  I have got accounts on acnestry and scotlands people, but i am finding it difficult to get any results when i search.

Offline bantumi69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 08:16 BST (UK) »
doddsie:  How did you find that record i cant find anything on scotlands people being new to this i might be searching wrong somehow.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi bantumi69

Have you seen this post on the Robert Galbraith Short side of the family www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=639209.0

Quoting a little from there, they have a Robert Galbraith Short and Elizabeth Denton in St Helena. Some of the children:

Eleanor, b. Circa 1865. teacher
Amy, b. 9 September 1866, m. Frank Bateman                           
William, b. 11 April 1869
Amy, b. 9 September 1866, m. Frank Bateman
Emma Minnie, b 27 March 1871,m William Porter Firth, d. 4 June 1935
Edith Mary, b. 4 February 1874, m. Tom Aitken
Robert Galbraith, b. 13 July 1875. m....would this be the father of Leslie Short?
Mabel, b 21 March 1879, d. 5th April 1879

Robert Snr. appears to died in March 1911 having survived his wife by a few years.

Monica

Added: That's good  :) Seems you have caught up with another of the threads on this side www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=372384.msg4862296#msg4862296
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bantumi69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 10:22 BST (UK) »
i have read that yes and i responded a bit in there as well, it all ties up perfectly with my family side as well only the dates seem to be a bit off

Offline bantumi69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 10:22 BST (UK) »
oh and yes that would be leslie's dad yes, my great grandfather robert would be.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 10:44 BST (UK) »
Grandfather Leslie William Short born c.1911 that you show. He wasn't born in Scotland was he? Nothing shows as a possible birth for him on Scotlands People.  Maybe his line never returned to Scotland?

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 11:01 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look at Family Search? https://familysearch.org/search

Possible entry for Eleanor born c. 1865 from above on a shipping manifest 1940 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/24LS-8V9

Your great grandfather Robert possibly back in England for 1891 as a 15 yr old student https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/QN5W-F2M

You mentioned earlier in another thread that you weren't sure whether Elizabeth wife of gg grandfather Robert was a Denton or Patton. This entry from the 1881 census, with one the Short girls staying with an aunt in England points to Denton. Emma Denton's occupation also fits well with that of her sister's Elizabeth before she married Robert in St Helena from other's research into this https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X3F5-692?cc=1321821

One further 1881 census entry for another Short girl also looks to be a student in England https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XQ9L-3TK

Monica

Offline bantumi69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 11:11 BST (UK) »
WOW, lots for me to start going through, thank you so much.  According to my mom her dad leslie was born in scotland in 1911, i know that they dropped the Galbraith and it just become Short as a surname and that he died around 1976 or so in south africa where they moved to.  They moved to south africa in november 1959 by ship and docked in Cape Town.  I hope that helps, his full name was leslie william short