Author Topic: KNEALE family  (Read 32115 times)

Offline Kim Pearce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
KNEALE family
« on: Tuesday 21 March 06 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on the Kneale family.  According to census returns, Eliza Kneale was born in Ramsey (about 1843), daughter of William who was a builder.  Can anyone help me?

Offline rcorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: KNEALE family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim,

The IGI online is always the best place to start your search for IOM ancestors - http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true.  Also look at Brian Lawsons's site which has lots of useful indexes - www.lawsons.ca.

IGI gives an Elizabeth Kneale, d/o William Kneale and Margaret Quayle on 26 Aug 1842 in Ramsey.

Can't find any other children for William and Margaret.

William and Margaret married on 26 May 1842 in Maughold.

Which census is your information from?  I couldn't find her on the Island in 1851.  Only one Eliza Kneale born 1843 in Ramsey, but living with her widowed mother Ann (seems to be the family of George Kneale and Ann Corlett). 

Cheers,
Ruth
Bouncing emails

England: Green, Povey, Bedford, Bridgland, Catlin, Patton
Scotland: Fraser, Kennedy, Kelly, Hean, Higgins
Isle of Man: Corris, Faragher, Corkill, Shimmin

Offline Kim Pearce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ruth,

My info is from the 1881 Wales census.  Eliza Kneale was married to William Hitchings by this time.  The census gave me her birthplace, their marriage certificate gave me her maiden name. 

Neither Eliza nor Kneale are popular names here in Canada, so I thought tracking her down would be easy.  I was surprised to see how common both names are!  Another respondent said they had found an "Eliza Thomson", daughter of William Kneale and Eliza Thomson, christened on Oct 01, 1841 in Lezayre.   2 of Eliza's daughters have the initial "T" in their names, so this Eliza is also a possibility.

I hope I haven't hit a dead end.

Kim

Offline rcorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 March 06 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim,

From looking at FreeBMD it seems the Thompson lead may be looking good.  Jane T in 1881 looks to be Jane Thompson Hitchings.

But on the IOM Eliza would still have been officially known as Eliza Kneale and I can't find her on the early censuses in IOM or Eng/Wales.  Unless her mother married someone else soon after she was born and Eliza took her step father's name.

I'm not sure what you can do from here.  Try posting a query on http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl as this is where you will find people who know all there is to know about IOM genealogy.

Good luck,
Ruth
Bouncing emails

England: Green, Povey, Bedford, Bridgland, Catlin, Patton
Scotland: Fraser, Kennedy, Kelly, Hean, Higgins
Isle of Man: Corris, Faragher, Corkill, Shimmin

Offline edge2

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 August 06 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim

I have just started a search of my own, into our 'Kneale' family tree and have only my grandfather to work on.

His name is Joesph Lewis Kneale....otherwise known as Lewis.  He was born in the Isle of Man at the end of the mid 1890's he had 3 other siblings, and we do know he had a sister who moved to Canada, as my grandmother (Elizabeth Kneale-(Nee Ryan)-Ch-Ch NZ)  Kept in touch for a number of years when Lewis died  I have no idea of her name or anything but maybe she could be related, their is mention of a James and Margerat Kneale being his parents, so maybe there could be a connection somewhere!!

I hope this helps you in your search.  If by chance these names have popped up, it would be great for that info to be passed on....I am only young myself and have absolutly no idea on this family stuff!!!

Regards from good old New Zealand

Bernie Edgecombe

Offline Kim Pearce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 August 06 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernie!

I still have learned very little about the Kneale side of our family.  We do seem to have confirmed that Eliza's parents were William Kneale and Jane Thompson, who do not appear to have been married.  Jane married a man by the name of "Parry" later in life and we have located their gravesite in Wales.

My Greatgrandmother and her 3 children moved to Canada, after the death of my Greatgrandfather.  She was the daughter of Eliza Kneale and her name was Reid (born Hitchings). 

If you learn more about your Kneale family, I would love to see if we are related.  I will repost if I learn anything more about my Kneales.

Cheers from Montreal!

Kim

Offline sheenaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 March 10 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Way back in My Callow tree I have Bel-Ann Callow,b-1824 Maughold IOM married to a Thomas Kneale in 31 Dec 1844 Maughold IOM.They have at least 1 child Thomas Kneale-that is all the info i have on them.Does that connect to any of your Kneales?
Stewart,Seggie,Callow,[Scot]Ellison,Dwyer,Parker,Jarvis[Eng]Callow[IOM]

Offline Kim Pearce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 March 10 19:53 GMT (UK) »
The only documented information I have is from census reports, which show my Greatgreatgrandmother's maiden name as being Kneale and that she was born in Ramsey IOM.  I have some leads on her and her family but so far none of it is documented.

Do you have anything documented on your Kneales?

Offline sheenaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 March 10 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I have little 'documentation' of IOM family.Most I have learned from fellow  links/cousins etc  in my Callow line .The only 'docs' I have are related to when my Callows moved to Scotland.
Stewart,Seggie,Callow,[Scot]Ellison,Dwyer,Parker,Jarvis[Eng]Callow[IOM]