Author Topic: Knocknemond  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Knocknemond
« on: Friday 01 February 13 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte Averne was said by the Scots Magazine to be "of Knocknermond" when she married 1n 1803.
Could someone identify what/where this place was/is  please?  Her husband was of Ballefrear but Google was able to help with that :)

Reiver

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Knocknemond
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 February 13 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Is it Knocknemond (as in the thread title) or Knocknermond (as in your post)? Can't fihure out the Isle of Man connection so perhaps you could clarify that also.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 February 13 16:25 GMT (UK) »
The only reference I can find about Knocknemond is in a on line book about Cork......Page 329...there is a reference to the Townland of Knocknemond.

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/northcork/grovewhitenotes/kanturktowntoknocknanuss/gw3_327_338.pdf

Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 February 13 12:48 GMT (UK) »
I know from earlier research that John Caird married Charlotte Averne in the parish of Oncham on 3rd December 1803.
As part of that research using the IOM board I found the place reference in The Scots Magazine. John Caird was from the SW of Scotland.  My first post the other day mentioned the two places referred to in the magazine.

Ballefrear I found via Google as Ballafreer - about 3 miles from Douglas.   Knocknemond - my apologies for the spelling confusion - was the 'home' of Charlotte.  The post from Forthefamily has now solved that problem. Many thanks for that. It obviously did exist.  It seems to have been a townland in Kilshannig parish.  How does Townland differ from Village or perhaps I'm totally on the wrong track :)

Reiver

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 February 13 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 February 13 16:32 GMT (UK) »
guess you are aware that thare is a Cronk ne mona in Onchan - Manx for Hill of the Turbary and that Knock is another version of Cronk (tho more Irish than Manx) thus if 'translated' by a Scottish writer might produce the Knocknemond (again a trailing 'a' could be misread for a 'd' by the OCR of the newspaper
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 February 13 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your expertise.  Aghadowey's references pointed to the more modern (1901? )name being Knocknamona and Frances's knowledge of Cronk/Knock ne mona in Onchan - where the marriage took place - has answered my problem.

Many thanks

Reiver